Connections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

breit

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how many people you guys thought got into med school because they had "connections", I'm sure there's got to be some people but does anyone actually know of anyone who got in like this?

Members don't see this ad.

Me. Spent most of undergrad in the gym, bought some tight shirts for interviews and prayed for female adcoms.

I was wondering how many people you guys thought got into med school because they had "connections", I'm sure there's got to be some people but does anyone actually know of anyone who got in like this?

i doubt many would be willing to fess up. i know a couple people who brag that they have an uncle/some relative in adcom but i doubt that this would play any significant role in a professional school that puts the responsibility of life into one's hands.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah this doesn't happen as often as you might think. This isn't undergrad admissions.

It can easily happen especially if your mom/dad are really good friends with the admissions and interview people. But, I think it is only a booster. The chances of this actually helping you only works if your connection is strong and you have a somewhat decent background/ECs/stats/recommendations.

I doubt it would actually help you if you make below a 3.0 and you have a bunch of charges against you.

I can tell you that if you are the daughter of an adcom member, you will probably get in. I've seen it twice. Same family.

though knowing those girls, they would have gotten in somewhere

I can tell you that if you are the daughter of an adcom member, you will probably get in. I've seen it twice. Same family.

though knowing those girls, they would have gotten in somewhere

Well right. And cases like this may be in kind of a grey area. Having an adcom in the house to guide you through your premed years and while crafting your application would be a huge boon, even if you didn't get any name recognition in the actual application process.