Considering a gap year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Calibaster

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a junior looking to apply to med school in the 2019 cycle. Or at least, that's what I had planned until recently.

I've been reading through this forum lately, and I've realized my standing is a lot weaker than I thought it was. I have a 3.68 cGPA, but a much lower sGPA, and it's only getting worse with time. I have some research experience and a lot of non-clinical volunteering, but only 50 hrs of clinical volunteering and zero shadowing. Apparently I should have hundreds of hours of clinical experience and shadowing by this point -- long story short, I don't.

So I'm going to ask: is it still realistic for me to apply next year? I don't know if I can do that much clinical volunteering and shadowing before next summer... I have to make sure my GPA doesn't keep sinking like a rock. A year ago I wouldn't have dreamed about doing a gap year, but now it looks like I can't go without one. What do y'all think?

Members don't see this ad.

Probably should. Prioritize your grades NOW. Med schools aren’t going anywhere. Clinical experience is paramount and it wouldn’t be a good idea to apply without it.

Reactions: 1 user
If you feel more confident in taking a gap year to improve your application further, then it may be to your advantage. There is nothing wrong in doing it, especially since your GPA and clinical experience are important factors in your application. Also, don't worry about comparing yourself to people here on SDN because you will drive yourself mad haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been loving my gap year now that I'm in it. Was in a somewhat similar situation to yours, if you have any questions, PM me.

Nothing wrong with a gap year or two OP. The average matriculant age at most programs is like 24-25. I have classmates in their 30s. Literally no one cares and they are not treated differently at all.

It is definitely wise to apply once, with your best app. I remember feeling like I'd be thrilled to go to any school in the US; when I was applying, there were schools I wanted to go to much, much more than some others. Give yourself the best shot you have. The app cycle is draining emotionally and financially. You definitely dont want to do it multiple times if you can avoid it. Id focus on that GPA, take the MCAT when you're ready, and get any healthcare related job you can after you graduate. Good luck!