Considering internships for the future as an aspirant physician-scientist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

O.F. Hanson

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all đź‘‹,

I’ve posted in these forums a couple of times, but I wanted to gain some potential advice or pointers on where to apply for undergraduate summer research experience.

I currently have an internship position for summer 2022, Aspirnaut/Hal Moses Research Program at VUMC, which would be my first biomedical research experience ever, so I’m very grateful for the position.

Moreover, for future reference, I was curious if anyone knew of genetic therapy- (any), cancer biology-, or both fields of research in an internship available for undergraduates to apply. I believe I will specialize in medical genetics.

One last question: does the specific type of research matter for MSTP applicants, depending on what they want to do? Like if I want to pursue cancer biology, would I specifically have to take cancer biology research internships as an undergraduate for the research to be “relevant”, or could anything work? The Aspirnaut program is focused on renal biology and disease, which isn’t really genetic or cancer related, so would the internship still be “useful” or “relevant” in applying to an education as competitive as an MSTP?

Thank-you in advanced!

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations to you, first of all. Focus on learning what your can in your program.

Yes there are plenty of cancer biology research programs out there. I'm sure Vanderbilt has expertise there and other topics of interest. No it doesn't really matter the area you do research on your MSTP application, and the MSTP folks at Vanderbilt should confirm this. If you need more, contact us again.

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations to you, first of all. Focus on learning what your can in your program.

Yes there are plenty of cancer biology research programs out there. I'm sure Vanderbilt has expertise there and other topics of interest. No it doesn't really matter the area you do research on your MSTP application, and the MSTP folks at Vanderbilt should confirm this. If you need more, contact us again.
Thank-you for the clarity and response!