Contacting Deans of Diversity? help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beardown97

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I wasn't sure who to come to because I have no idea how this works. I am a URM from Illinois and I read online about contacting a dean of diversity from medical schools and networking with them? Is that something I should look into? And if so, how on earth do you network with them? "hi, can you help me get in?" or something like "hi , I want to make my application the best for your school how do I do that" because isn't there a conflict of interest? or does it not apply bc they arent part of admissions? I cant seem to find any resources online about this. Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Write, "Dear Dean of Diversity, My name is ___ and I am a URM [or enter your specific race/ethnicity] student at [school name] and an Illinois resident. As I prepare to apply to medical school, I've become interested in [enter school name here ... DO NOT screw it up and enter a different school name] and I'd be grateful for any information you can share about opportunities at [insert school name again]. Sincerely, [your name]

Deans of Diversity live for the chance to engage with interested applicants. You can make someone's day with an email.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@LizzyM thank you so much! And honestly that you for the reminder about the school name because I am capable of making that mistake lol, I appreciate the response!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi! I wasn't sure who to come to because I have no idea how this works. I am a URM from Illinois and I read online about contacting a dean of diversity from medical schools and networking with them? Is that something I should look into? And if so, how on earth do you network with them? "hi, can you help me get in?" or something like "hi , I want to make my application the best for your school how do I do that" because isn't there a conflict of interest? or does it not apply bc they arent part of admissions? I cant seem to find any resources online about this. Thank you for your help!
First... why you want to talk with them? If it's about input about your application, you'll get sent to the admissions dean or director or recruiter.

If you haven't attended a recruitment event where the student services staff is present along with the diversity dean/administrator, you're basically cold-calling. You have plenty of opportunities in Illinois to do this. If you haven't attended an academic enrichment program overseen by this group, you should ask about it.

Yes, they enjoy making connections with prospective students. Find out how that diversity dean/administrator plays a role in admissions if any. It's possible there's no role. It's possible they serve in an observer role. It's possible they help with screening or oversight.

Also, do NOT contact the University dean/VP of diversity. Get to the right person.

EDIT to continue ---
Pay attention to the titles. Due to the BLM/George Floyd and subsequent homicides of Black people in recent years, many schools have begun finally appointing (associate/assistant) deans of diversity, inclusion, and belonging. Know that their roles are not going to be limited to admissions but extend further to supporting an inclusive climate for all learning community members (staff, faculty, alumni). Many of them may have a role with organizing outreach events to the community ("mini med school" programs), lectures highlighting diverse researchers/faculty/alumni, and administering climate surveys. This is not easy work, and I know that in light of recent events and anti-intellectual (CRT) movements, these administrators work really darn hard and often fight other political currents that need to be navigated.

Last edited:
First... why you want to talk with them? If it's about input about your application, you'll get sent to the admissions dean or director or recruiter.

If you haven't attended a recruitment event where the student services staff is present along with the diversity dean/administrator, you're basically cold-calling. You have plenty of opportunities in Illinois to do this. If you haven't attended an academic enrichment program overseen by this group, you should ask about it.

Yes, they enjoy making connections with prospective students. Find out how that diversity dean/administrator plays a role in admissions if any. It's possible there's no role. It's possible they serve in an observer role. It's possible they help with screening or oversight.

Also, do NOT contact the University dean/VP of diversity. Get to the right person.

If I were the med school's dean of diversity, I'd have a stock reply to inquiries noting that we welcome their application, highlighting the opportunities via curriculum and extracurricular activities for students like the person making the inquiry, and an invitation to speak with people from our school of medicine during our campus visit (provide date), the Student National Medical Association meeting (insert dates), and, if appropriate, to invite the person making the inquiry to learn more about the summer undergrad research fellowship (SURF) at the med school.

The Dean of Diversity isn't going to weigh in on your application but the hints dropped along the way about the school itself might help an applicant craft a better secondary essay and be more confident going into an interview when asked "why this school". And, of course, the SURF pipeline helps undergrads strengthen their application which is a win-win for the applicant and the school. This is why you might want to "network".

If I were the med school's dean of diversity, I'd have a stock reply to inquiries noting that we welcome their application, highlighting the opportunities via curriculum and extracurricular activities for students like the person making the inquiry, and an invitation to speak with people from our school of medicine during our campus visit (provide date), the Student National Medical Association meeting (insert dates), and, if appropriate, to invite the person making the inquiry to learn more about the summer undergrad research fellowship (SURF) at the med school.

The Dean of Diversity isn't going to weigh in on your application but the hints dropped along the way about the school itself might help an applicant craft a better secondary essay and be more confident going into an interview when asked "why this school". And, of course, the SURF pipeline helps undergrads strengthen their application which is a win-win for the applicant and the school. This is why you might want to "network".
I'm just adding: I generally recommend students contact student officers of the diversity clubs at the school (SNMA/SNDA etc.). I think HPSA/SDN posted about a recent national NMA webinar featuring the national student leaders of all the student diversity organizations (2/21/2022, "Presidential" forum of the student presidents, all of whom were female). Every one of them has some premed strategy piece, and each school should be able to also make the exact same points about opportunities, community, and resources the school provides. I'm not saying the diversity admin can't do it, but the student voice is always much more effective to applicants (so I have found). (I make the point because many of the deans of diversity may have been recently appointed and may not be as aware.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hey! I am URM and a DACA applicant. So far I have 7 II's and now 3 A's! Honestly, I do not think that when I networked with diversity deans it helped that much to get into medical school, but CHOOSING the medical school I ultimately chose.
As a DACA recipient, I wanted to know how they would support me financially and emotionally in case things went south (one dean of diversity did not even know I could apply to their school RIP).
Also, I took the time to ask a lot of questions that were important to me. For example, how diverse is the student body, but also the staff? The school I will be attending is focused on helping immigrant communities, and I was told I would be welcomed to join their committee in making the immigrant population feel more welcomed (dispel fear). Do they have LMSA and SNMA, do they actively work to serve these communities, etc... These things made me choose my particular medical school.
I would note, these are questions I did not ask before getting in, so I don't know how it would be perceived to ask such questions before being accepted. I do not think that asking about special programs that are special to you (for me helping immigrants through health education) is a bad thing, but shows how interested you are in not only applying to their program but going to their program if accepted.
I know right now the focus is getting into medical school, but it is important to feel welcomed, accepted, and pushed to help individuals that look like you.

• Love