Contacting Faculty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TXneuronerd15

Reaction score
Hi everyone, so I've reached out to prospective faculty at all of the programs I'm considering applying to. Several of these programs have more than one area I'm interested in.
I was told by someone on here I believe that applying to programs where you can identify more than 1 faculty member to do research with is a good tactic for applying. However, after the fact of me contacting more than 1 at several schools I read in the Insider's guide to graduate studies in Clinical Psychology that one shouldn't do that unless the faculty have overlapping interests. Mine don't. Should I not mention this at all, pick 1 when applying, or as the guide says to be open that you're considering another member in the same program? It mentions to do this in your initial email, but that ship has sailed. What do you all think?

Best,
TXneuronerd15

Members don't see this ad.

An application that reads as "I'd work with Dr. Smith on depression and marijauna use, or Dr. Jones on family support for people with schizophrenia" makes an applicant look unfocused and like a bad match to either professor.

If they have overlap and esp if they have published together it doesn't look weird.

Reactions: 4 users