Contacting Program Director

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Applicant1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did research at another medical school between the first and second year. I was able to do some research with a few faculty members.

When I apply next cycle, does it make a difference if a faculty member emails/calls the program director to let him know that I did research there earlier and is a good applicant for the program? If so, should this happen before or after the interview?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Moving to ERAS.

OP, having someone on faculty vouch for you may help you, depending on how strong a candidate you are for the program. Timing of this varies---it may help you get the interview if you are borderline, but it probably won't move you from the bottom to the very top of their rank list. It could move you up a few notches if you are competitive, but it also depends on how much weight the PD would put on that faculty member's opinion (highly variable) in addition to your own merits.

Maybe it's just me, but I think this whole "having someone make a call for you" is weak sauce.

If you don't have an interview offer early on (when you know other people have received them) it may help get the interview. Not sure how much it will help in terms of rank list. Generally I would say let your LORs speak for themselves and if someone on their own (i.e. you did not ask) tells the PD you are awesome, I bet it helps a lot more than people give it credit for.

Also imo this "tactic" will help to varying degrees depending on what field you are going into. I would think that a positive opinion from others would potentially have a larger impact in fields that are smaller where a few spots on a rank list can be a big difference.

It may seem "weak sauce" to some of you, but someone making a call on your behalf does carry some weight, if the person making the call is known/respected by the PD.

It really depends- I had a LOR from the research mentor (an MD) at the program I researched at and did an away there (plus I was a volunteer there all the way through college)- I didn't get an interview not even a courtesy one. I was really surprised because my grades/scores were a little low but not a knock out for that program (interviewed at several similar places) and I had extremely positive feedback from my away.

Luckily about 1 week into my away I knew it wasn't the place for me for residency and I had several faculty that told me to look somewhere else and come back for a fellowship so I would get a better (and happier) residency experience as they felt the residents were over-worked and the board scores not nearly as high as most places.