Contacting Residency Programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CS_22

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so this question was asked on the "interviews offered" thread, and was quickly buried without much discussion. I'm curious as to how this question might be answered from some of the current residents/attendings on this board.

Is it appropriate to send out letters of interest to programs we have not yet heard from regarding an interview? i.e. those we are really interested in, or to those in far away places that it may not be assumed that we would attend.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes it is fine, but a phone call might be better.

Seaglass,

I know that this might sound dumb but what the hey.. What should the conversation entail? Something like Dr. SoandSo, I just wanted to let you know that I am really hoping to have the opportunity to interview with your program. What else should the conversation entail? Thanks.. Also should we contact the PD (like I assume?)

Members don't see this ad :)
The PD is appropriate. Usually reaching their secretary is more reliable. Usually it's something like "I haven't gotten an invitation and I am really interested. I was wondering if my application is missing anything . . ."

Thanks I will try this tomorrow. Much appreciation