PhD/PsyD Contacting TD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psydstudent2020

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
The site I matched at for internship informed me I have to go to the site 60 to 30 days prior to my start date to complete paperwork and background screenings. I asked them what days/times were available two weeks ago and they have not responded. Is it too soon to follow-up? I need to get a plane ticket and my spouse needs to take time off to watch our puppy, which he has to do far in advanced or he won’t be able to get the days.

Members don't see this ad.

The site I matched at for internship informed me I have to go to the site 60 to 30 days prior to my start date to complete paperwork and background screenings. I asked them what days/times were available two weeks ago and they have not responded. Is it too soon to follow-up? I need to get a plane ticket and my spouse needs to take time off to watch our puppy, which he has to do far in advanced or he won’t be able to get the days.

I would follow-up. I had a similiar situation and asked two different people. Is there an onboarding person that can help you?

Members don't see this ad :)

It takes 2 months to do paperwork!?! Can’t you just go for a few days and get everything done. That seems a bit ridiculous! It’s most likely just a drug test, finger printing, possibly a credit check, and definitely a criminal record check. That can be achieved in a day!! Are you going for too secret clearance!

Is this VA by chance? You can do a large chunk of it at your local VA if so (physical, fingerprint, paperwork, etc), then the last bit (get your badge, that stuff) once you get there a week or two prior to starting.

Reactions: 1 user
It takes 2 months to do paperwork!?! Can’t you just go for a few days and get everything done. That seems a bit ridiculous! It’s most likely just a drug test, finger printing, possibly a credit check, and definitely a criminal record check. That can be achieved in a day!! Are you going for too secret clearance!

Never underestimate the slowness with which HR moves.

Reactions: 1 user
Is this VA by chance? You can do a large chunk of it at your local VA if so (physical, fingerprint, paperwork, etc), then the last bit (get your badge, that stuff) once you get there a week or two prior to starting.
Many VA I know dont even issue the PIV til after start date and spend the first couple weeks in training and orientation. This is such a big ask for a student to spend more cash for an unnecessary step as far as I'm concerned.

That timeline made me think VA hr as well lol

Last edited:

Paperwork can be mailed, faxed, emailed, etc. whats gives? Employers do this everyday.

Reactions: 1 users
No I don’t have to go there for two months lol. They said I have to go there to complete paperwork and background screening 60 to 30 days prior to my start date. It’s a state hospital in Florida

Paperwork can be mailed, faxed, emailed, etc. whats gives? Employers do this everyday.

My thoughts exactly. Would it be rude to mention this point? I don’t mind going it’s just obviously expensive and am already moving across the country.

If you need someone to watch Lila I’d be happy too. She can play with my dog. I think we live in different states though.

Reactions: 1 users