Continual Decrease on Kaplan FL Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
J

jayteeteejay

my mcat is in less than a month and ive been taking Kaplan exams as practice. My diagnostic (half length) was a 503, FL 1 was a 501, and FL 2 was a 500. Idk whats going on and was wondering if anyone had similar experiences? Also, any advise on how I can improve and on how to better review to previous FL's would be welcome. Currently I just review all of the questions and then briefly go over to topic but im not sure if that method is working so well....

Members don't see this ad.

Is that statistically significant? Could just be normal variation.

Now, if you feel that you are getting the same questions wrong again and again, would it be accurate to say that you are struggling with figuring out how to approach those questions?

I also did Kaplan full lengths, they're definitely harder than the real thing. The most important part is to do as many as possible, I did almost all of them. I felt like my scores weren't moving much as well, but my real score turned out to be 8 points higher than my best Kaplan FL.

When it came to reviewing my test, I just went over every question and made flashcards for the ones I got wrong, though the whole time I felt like I wasn't getting too much out of reviewing the test. My hunch is by reviewing every question you just get used to seeing the kinds of questions you'll be expected to answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take those scores with a big grain of salt; Kaplan FL's are notoriously deflated because of their "better score guarantee." There's entire spreadsheets full of people scoring 515-520+ on the real MCAT and barely 500 on Kaplan FL's. There's obviously some selection bias with these compilations, but it still goes to show that their FL's are not representative of the real thing...

I'm using Kaplan too, and tbh I don't really look too much into the numbers anymore. I know I've been studying hard the past few months and know that I'm much better prepared than I was 3 months ago.

Reactions: 1 user
I took the second Kaplan FL and got a 500. Took the AAMC scored fl the next week and got a 509. Don't worry about the Kaplan scores, they don't mean anything.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

my mcat is in less than a month and ive been taking Kaplan exams as practice. My diagnostic (half length) was a 503, FL 1 was a 501, and FL 2 was a 500. Idk whats going on and was wondering if anyone had similar experiences? Also, any advise on how I can improve and on how to better review to previous FL's would be welcome. Currently I just review all of the questions and then briefly go over to topic but im not sure if that method is working so well....
With less than a month left you should focus on doing all the AAMC material. Especially the scored fl and the section bank. I just tested yesterday. AAMC material is far better than anything else.

Lol i'm in the same boat. I started out at 70% on the EK full lengths, 4 tests later i've regressed to 60%. Even though i've been studying and practicing.

With less than a month left you should focus on doing all the AAMC material. Especially the scored fl and the section bank. I just tested yesterday. AAMC material is far better than anything else.

Thanks for the advise and I plan on doing those very soon but I actually have a little over a month left my bad for the typo

Also how did you feel about the test?

Normal variations in difficulties of tests and test taker.
I guess im more worried about the fact that my scores
Take those scores with a big grain of salt; Kaplan FL's are notoriously deflated because of their "better score guarantee." There's entire spreadsheets full of people scoring 515-520+ on the real MCAT and barely 500 on Kaplan FL's. There's obviously some selection bias with these compilations, but it still goes to show that their FL's are not representative of the real thing...

I'm using Kaplan too, and tbh I don't really look too much into the numbers anymore. I know I've been studying hard the past few months and know that I'm much better prepared than I was 3 months ago.
I think im more worried about the decrease in scores than anthing else but thanks this just serves as further motivation

Also how did you feel about the test?
Thought CARS passages were longer than any practice I had seen. I usually finished pretty early, but yesterday I took the full time.

C/P was easier than I expected, but I studied that a lot in the last 2 weeks.

B/B was as expected. Some pretty detail/data rich passages, but questions weren't terrible.

P/S was rough :/

Get used to the "section bank" prep material from AAMC. Passages can be daunting, but that's where the MCAT is headed.

I usually got mid-high 30s on the Kaplans, a little more on the AAMC ones, but ended up with a 41 on the real one. They really are significantly harder than the actual MCAT. Started with a 28 on the Kaplan diagnostic.

It wasn't until after the first few tests that I figured out how to pace myself and efficiently find the info I needed in the passages (especially verbal).

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk