Continue nursing through med school?

Started by Lorae
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Lorae

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm just curious how many of you kept working as a RN through medical school??

From a studying/financial standpoint I will take enough loans so I don't have to work at all (so I can be as dedicated as I need to be), but I would like to work casually if I can to offset the loan burden.

I'm wondering if it will help or hurt the transition... thinking like a nurse to thinking like a doctor. Part of me says that I should totally leave nursing behind and fully immerse myself in medicine. The other part of me thinks that pulling occasional shifts will give me a chance to use my new knowledge and see it in the "real" world before clerkship...

Abbey (on ER) seems to do ok 😎 ..... mind you she has worked some shifts as a RN where she's jumped in and intubated patients/put in central lines, etc - a big "no-no"...

any comments?