Convince Me To Go Do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Honestly, I just put the Stephen Barrett reference to try and be fair and balanced. He does mention some good points but on the whole his presentation is highly biased. Otherwise I think his Quackwatch provides a pretty good service.

Honestly, I just put the Stephen Barrett reference to try and be fair and balanced. He does mention some good points but on the whole his presentation is highly biased. Otherwise I think his Quackwatch provides a pretty good service.

Maybe. But when he writes silly stuff on his website about osteopathic medicine, which I know something about, it makes me wonder if I should believe what he writes about stuff I don't know much about.

Three examples of many:
He likes to point out DO's cultish roots. Like this means anything. Has the man completely forgotten the bizarre history of MDs? ....hmm, let's study his poop, pray to the goddess Hygeia, and then bleed him to death with my handy lance.

He talks about the % of DOs being involved in "dubious practices" as higher compared to MDs. And how does he come to this? He eyeballs some directory. Yet his own published list of dubious individuals contains a much higher % of MDs than DOs.

In his "Bottom Line" summary, he warns people to choose a DO who "underwent medical training at a medical hospital". This is silly. Are there any hospitals in existance with only DOs on staff? Where does he think DOs train? I know what he probably means, but lay people who read this probably don't.

I know this has been discussed time and time again. But, the man annoys me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any hospitals in existance with only DOs on staff? Where does he think DOs train? I know what he probably means, but lay people who read this probably don't.
I know there are at least SOME osteopathic hospitals. There is one over in Indianapolis. If they have only DO's on staff, I'm not certain.....

I know there are at least SOME osteopathic hospitals. There is one over in Indianapolis. If they have only DO's on staff, I'm not certain.....

Sure, there are some, but even Westview in Indianapolis has MDs on staff (although only a few). Most "osteopathic hospitals" that survived the mergers of the '90s probably have as many MDs on staff as DOs.

Seriously,

Choose what makes you happy. Most students who do go DO as a "back up " find that their is no real difference in practice and are too busy slogging it out in residency to notice the difference.

Yep, they may be a tad bummed during that summer before matriculation because that they can't brag as much as their pre-med pals (if they are the bragging type). Yep, they may have to explain to Grandma Ethel, Aunt Mary and Uncle Chuck what a Do is 100 times. Yep, your arrogant cousin may get into Harvard Med and rub you nose in it. Yep, you might be shut out of some residency programs by misguided PDs.

If it REALLY matters, if those two letters (MD) REALLY matter to you more than the chance to practice medicine, go to an allopathic school. Life is too short to spend your whole career worrying over letters of the alphabet

nice you just "convinced" me