Convincing parents?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bgreet

Dopefish Lives!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have a question regarding parents about the whole osteopathic route. My parents are pretty liberal, and have never forced me into a particular path and have supported me in my decision (although not emphatically at times) to become a doctor. However, my dad is a big skeptic and questions a lot of choices that I make for some reason. Approximately five months ago or so, I told him of the possibility of me attending an osteopathic school because of my love for its origins and its philosophy, however no matter how much I tell him of the details he can never seem to believe me that there is another type of doctor out there besides an "md". After trying to explain manipulative therapy to him, he got the idea that osteopath's are "like chiropracters". After further explanation he still does not believe me. He makes fun of the degree as well, always saying "so you want to become a "due" or a "doh", huh?". :/ It seems he bases everything on his own personal experience as well, so it seems no matter how much information I give him it does no good, although I still want him to read Osteopathic Medicine- A Reformation in Progress. Anyone have any suggestions to "enlighten" a hard headed dad (either by explanation or physical means :smuggrin: )?

Members don't see this ad.

Print out some "consumer friendly" information about DOs for him to read. Try the following:

http://www.osteopathic.org/index.cfm?PageID=ado_whatis

http://www.osteopathic.org/index.cfm?PageID=ost_omed

Keep in mind that convincing your Dad may take a long time, and that what you do with your career is for yourself, not him. Interestingly, I think a lot of the 50 to 60-year-old Dads are more concerned about status than people in our generation. In their opinion, if you don't go to Harvard, Yale, or any other school that everyone knows about, then you're not going to a good school. Fact of the matter is that there are hundreds of quality medical schools out there, many of which may be perfectly suited for you. Attend one of these schools and become the best doctor that you can be -- DO or MD.

I'd call around to local hospitals and see if any of them have DO's on staff (chances are they do).

It might also be helpful to find some MD residency programs with DO's as residents or PD directors and show this info to your dad.

Good luck!

PS. you might try letting him know that when you finish residency you'll be fully licensed to remove the giant stick that seems to be lodged in his rectum. J/K:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I remember a couple of years ago when I first discovered osteopathic medicine I told my mom that I was looking into that just in case I didn't get into an MD school.

She told me that I shouldn't be a quack doctor and I should go for the MD. Of course she didn't know what a DO was at the time.

Later on we found out that the doctor who had been our family physician for 3 years was a DO. I also explained to her the difference, showed her match lists, and she has even talked to our family physician about which path I should take.

Now she believes DOs are real doctors like MDs. She still thinks I should go to one of the MD schools I was accepted to but she is content with the idea of me maybe going to a DO school.

All you can do is show your dad proof with match lists and information from websites about what DOs are. Of course the best thing you could do is bring him to an actual DO and he can see for himself that they are real doctors.

I have to admit that I never looked at the docs name tag or even wondered what the difference was. I looked at a list of the docs that treated my family in the past and over 75% were DO's The doc who attended my 1st pregnancy was a DO. Just goes to show that some people make a HUGE deal outta nothing:laugh:

When I told my parents that I wanted to apply to DO schools only, my mother asked me why I didn't want to be a real doctor. It took some time but I finally convinced her that by attending an osteopathic school, I was adding tools to my medical education, not taking them away. You're going to run into a lot of people who mean well, but will question your choice. You have to be willing to keep explaining it until they finally understand you. Remember, your dad is looking out for your best interests, even if his tactics are a bit questionable. Good luck. It sounds like you may need it!!!

bgreet,

I think we have all run into this problem at one point in our lives and the fact of the matter is each family has their own way of dealing with it. Some like to print stuff off the web for parents to read, some get dad's to read books, and others get mom's to have DO's deliver their babies. Personally my solution was quick and easy...I FLAT OUT KICKED MY DAD IN THE NUTS SO HARD THAT HE HAD NO CHOICE BUT TO ACCEPT MY DECISION AND PAY FOR MY TUITION. Feel free to try it and let me know if it works. It was quick and effective...sorta like my own version of OMM.

Good Luck!
:thumbup:

DoHza: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I think I like this solution! I'll have to try it!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: (BTW I'm thinking of one quick quick then a few smaller ones just to make sure he agrees with me, cant take any chances of it not working!)

Show them the billing codes DOs can use for OMM. ;)

My parents were the same way, until I treated them. My mother has a vertebral fusion at C5-6 due to degeneration and spinal stenosis. She has lingering paresthesia in her arm and had limited range of motion in that arm due to the scar tissue that has built up as well as the great amount of pain when she tried to raise her arm abover 60 degrees. Some FPR and BLT corrected that. She had full ROM and much less pain. Now she insists that I need to come home more so that I can continue treatments. The pain still comes back, as does the limits in ROM, but each time the pain is less and her limitations of movement are less. A few more treatments and I think she will be set.

:laugh: JPHazelton I've never actually seen any billing codes of OMT, I assume they are high? Btw thanks everyone for the advice!

You can tell your dad about the number of Surgeons General of the Army who have been DOs.

Me, I have the opposite problem. My mother is dreadfully disappointed that I am going MD instead of DO and keeps telling me that I could always transfer to a DO school after first year.

Originally posted by MeowMix
You can tell your dad about the number of Surgeons General of the Army who have been DOs.

Me, I have the opposite problem. My mother is dreadfully disappointed that I am going MD instead of DO and keeps telling me that I could always transfer to a DO school after first year.

Meow

We will try not to hold it against you that you will be an MD.

;)

Originally posted by MeowMix
Wow that's a first. If only all parents were like that. :D

wow meow
pretty unique scenario

where does she base her DO love?

Originally posted by DoHzA
wow meow
pretty unique scenario

where does she base her DO love?

a long history of bad experiences with MDs, success with complementary/alternative medicine, and a very good experience with an osteopath.

Yea, as much as others might knock it, I really can not wait (hoping that I get the opportunity and get into a school) to learn OMT. Even if it doesn't have any actual efficacy(which I dont think is true), just the idea I think puts patients at ease. Hands on really makes a difference, and I think it reinserts something into medicine that has long been lost.

(by writing this I am procrastinating for studying for tuesday's OMT practical).

I wasn't really considering applying to DO schools until my Dad called me one day and yelled at me (my dad never yells) for not applying to UNECOM. He freaked me out so I applied, and I'm here.

The most well-respected physician in our small (very small) town is a DO. Later I found out that when I got really sick as a little baby, my parents took me to the Osteopathic Hospital of Maine, not Maine Medical Center. When I came home after a month of med school and tried to explain osteopathic philosphy to them, they looked at me funny and told me that they already knew it.

I'm forever grateful to my parents for being wiser than I'll ever be. Best of luck to you, bgreet, in convincing yours.

My dad's a Respiratory Therapist at a hospital and when I told him I was considering the medical route, he said, "Why not D.O?" I didn't know the difference and at the time said, "No way...thats not a real doctor." During that summer, I got to interact with several D.O.'s an realized that I loved their mannerisms and approach.

It's just a lil odd when people ask you where ur going to school and when u mention "osteopathic" school, they mentally drop the fact ur goign to be a DOCTOR. When I explain the difference, I tend to stress, "D.O.'s learn soemthign special called Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine."

i took my parents to a school's open house so they could learn about it, their explanation was better than any i could've given... and now my dad is proud to say im going to be an "MD+" :)