Parents don't want me to matriculate DO - Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you gravitate towards a less competitive (read: non-surgical) residency, go for DO. If you don’t care about research, the perks of hospital affiliation or prestige, go for DO.

If I could do it all over again, I would retake the MCAT and reapply to both MD and DO schools. I know you may feel this incredible pressure to rush into med school, but I think there’s a lot to say for taking the time to gain experience and maturity outside of undergrad and schools recognize the benefit of a stable and dedicated person.

For reference, I’m a current OMSIV applying general surgery. Being a DO student was a significant deterrent for major academic centers despite a strong CV and above average board scores (both USMLE and COMLEX).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Who cares what your parents say. You are going to be in medical school and will ultimately become a doctor. I echo what FutureDoctor5000 says, you can easily get into both General Surgery and IM/EM as a DO. DO is not a restriction its an opportunity, and a parents preconceived notion of what makes good doctor, should not keep you from attending medical school. You may never have the chance again. IMHO you should be able to stand on your two feet at some point and if they are not willing to pay for school then get loans like most of us did. You will be a good doctor either way.

Reactions: 4 users
Long time lurker, first time poster here
🙂

A little about me: CA ORM, 3.7gpa, 501 MCAT, good EC/PS/LORs. Only applied DO, planned on reapplying MD + DO next cycle with an MCAT retake. I didn't plan on getting anything this cycle since I had a pretty low MCAT, but to my surprise I got 6 II so far. Recently heard back and got accepted to RVU.

Please don't take this post the wrong way. I am thrilled to be shown any luck at all. I think its a great school given it's match/pass rate history. Unfortunately, my parents don't like the idea that it's for profit (think it's just a corrupt business)/isn't MD (not many DOs in CA)/doesn't have an undergrad campus attached like many MD schools. They said I'll regret not having tried to apply for MD, and that if I work harder now it'll be easier in the future for whatever specialty I want. I guess they think since I had such luck this cycle that I can replicate it for MD again.

I am very interested in IM/EM, but considering gen surg. Parents want me to keep my specialty options open with MD. Guess the stigma that DO is easier to get into vs MD/for lower stat applicants/not a real doctor (??) still exists. Unfortunately, they are financially supporting me, so I kinda have to hear them out.

They want me to retake my MCAT and see how much better I can do. I think even if I do significantly better it's dumb to turn down an acceptance. I did not study much at all for the MCAT (life/covid got in the way) so I probably can do better, but it's kinda hard for me to realistically put the effort in when I already have an offer. Even if I do better I don't think it's worth wasting another year or more just for a CHANCE at a "better" MD school. (CA ORM and low stats not a good combo; plus I believe my "story" aligns much better with osteopathic medicine)

At this point Im going to waste thousands of dollars reapplying and a year of my life retaking the MCAT and getting LORs again just to prove a point that I'll likely get rejected from MD schools. They said "you'll never know until you try." Fair.

Anyone else had a similar situation? I've tried hours explaining everything I know about osteopathic medicine to no avail. Any DO students who didn't match into their desired specialty have any input? Any advice is appreciated.
Brother, it doesn’t matter what school you go to if you get a 235+ On step 1, 240+ on step 2, have some EC’s and don’t fail any clases or clerkship. I’m a USMD MS3, about to be MS4, entering the 2022 match soon so believe what I’m telling you. Being an MD doesn’t mean a damn thing if you get a ****ty step 1 score. A bunch of people at my school with sub 225 scores will not beat a DO with a 235 anywhere.
It’s your life man, but I’m telling you that loosing a year of potential income as physician isn’t worth it. Med school and residency is already long as it is.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I turned down two DO acceptances a few years ago, strengthened my application (e.g,. higher MCAT, Masters etc), reapplied and got accepted to an MD program this cycle. As I plan to specialize later on, strengthening my application to get into an MD program was 100% worth it. I do understand, however, that while it was worth it to me, it may not be worth it to someone else in a similar situation.

In contrast to your parents, my folks wanted me to take the DO acceptance and run with it, rather than delay medical school. I, however, have no regrets, and am very pleased with my decision.
No offense, I'm not sure how you can say it's worth it. You haven't been accepted to your specialty just yet and took 2 years of lost physician pay to get there.

Reactions: 7 users
🙂

A little about me: CA ORM, 3.7gpa, 501 MCAT, good EC/PS/LORs. Only applied DO, planned on reapplying MD + DO next cycle with an MCAT retake. I didn't plan on getting anything this cycle since I had a pretty low MCAT, but to my surprise I got 6 II so far. Recently heard back and got accepted to RVU.

Please don't take this post the wrong way. I am thrilled to be shown any luck at all. I think its a great school given it's match/pass rate history. Unfortunately, my parents don't like the idea that it's for profit (think it's just a corrupt business)/isn't MD (not many DOs in CA)/doesn't have an undergrad campus attached like many MD schools. They said I'll regret not having tried to apply for MD, and that if I work harder now it'll be easier in the future for whatever specialty I want. I guess they think since I had such luck this cycle that I can replicate it for MD again.

I am very interested in IM/EM, but considering gen surg. Parents want me to keep my specialty options open with MD. Guess the stigma that DO is easier to get into vs MD/for lower stat applicants/not a real doctor (??) still exists. Unfortunately, they are financially supporting me, so I kinda have to hear them out.

They want me to retake my MCAT and see how much better I can do. I think even if I do significantly better it's dumb to turn down an acceptance. I did not study much at all for the MCAT (life/covid got in the way) so I probably can do better, but it's kinda hard for me to realistically put the effort in when I already have an offer. Even if I do better I don't think it's worth wasting another year or more just for a CHANCE at a "better" MD school. (CA ORM and low stats not a good combo; plus I believe my "story" aligns much better with osteopathic medicine)

At this point Im going to waste thousands of dollars reapplying and a year of my life retaking the MCAT and getting LORs again just to prove a point that I'll likely get rejected from MD schools. They said "you'll never know until you try." Fair.

Anyone else had a similar situation? I've tried hours explaining everything I know about osteopathic medicine to no avail. Any DO students who didn't match into their desired specialty have any input? Any advice is appreciated.
Ultimately it is your future. You need to think long and hard about turning down an acceptance because there’s no promise you’ll get another. And you need to have a damn good reason for doing it because you are killing your future chances at that school and possibly others.

if you decide to postpone, you need to cancel any interviews you haven’t taken yet to save your chances at those schools. Call the adcoms, tell them you appreciate the invite but due to a family emergency you won’t be able to attend med school this upcoming year so you need to cancel your interview -but that you will be applying to their school again next year.

If you’re considering financials you have to take into consideration the opportunity cost of waiting a year as well -which will equal out to a year worth of a physicians salary at this point now that you’re accepted. Your parents seem motivated by math, and that’s a very good counter argument to their point about a for profit college.

finally, I think you should just take your acceptance. DO matches are getting much better for everything but plastic surgery. AAMC releases match data every year that supports this. You sound like you’re leaning towards primary care specialties as well, which you will have no issues matching from a DO school - if anything it’s expected.

🙂

I'm a DO. I graduated in 2009. It's up to you.
I don't think MD schools have any way of knowing a student rejected a DO school acceptance.
You're essentially looking at 1 or more years of trying again, for a better opportunity.
I don't think that's wrong.
I know a same age peer who is still in residency, because he graduated from a US MD school in 2016.
He's going to be a vascular surgeon.
I think he might say it was worth it to him.
I don't think it is, given that we are both in our early 40s now.
You only live once, and it's your life. Best of luck to you.

🙂

Not to disrespect your parents, but you are an adult. As adults, we aren’t going to agree with everything our parents say. Because this is YOUR life and career decision, what do YOU think that you should do? You’ve got a medical school acceptance NOW. There is no guarantee that if you retake the MCAT that you will score higher or have any better luck getting into an MD program. Or, maybe things will work out for you. But this is YOUR decision and whatever decision needs to be made, YOU will have to deal with the consequences, good or bad.

🙂

If your parents are financially supporting you then did they pay for the D.O. applications? Because if so then this literally makes no sense to why they would have paid for it in the first place. I for one am tired of all the posts of kids who get into only DO schools then question their lives entirely. You shouldn't have applied if you weren't interested. In your case, you're an adult if you want to be a physician go to the DO school because retaking the MCAT doesn't guarantee a higher score or an acceptance. I'm sure your parents will come around eventually and if they don't well then it must suck to be that ignorant.

OP mentioned he will be taking the DO acceptance so it's moot point now.

Reactions: 3 users
I don’t understand. Why would you apply if you didn’t expect to get in at all? You should only apply when you feel you have your most competitive application, not throwing out “practice” applications.

🙂

No judgment here. What is it that YOU want? What you want is important!
I think you’ll regret turning down an acceptance to medical school.

🙂

I actually had a similar situation with my parents but it was a little earlier in the application process (I convinced my parents DO was right for me when I was submitting apps, not after any acceptances) and my decision to go DO was based almost solely on the fact that I had personal health issues that were treated by DOs.

Im also from CA and my parents had similar concerns but there are actually a lot more DOs out there than my parents noticed and my moms favorite dr was actually a DO (she just didn't know). Anyways, what helped me the most was discussing the approach of osteopathic medicine and how it aligned with my interests and values. Once it was obvious to my parents that it was a well thought out decision and not one I was taking lightly or making because it was an "easier" route (though I don't believe this to be true because technically the curriculum is basically the same and then you have the added OMM training) they understood- my mom basically said that its my decision but that she thought I was making the "biggest mistake" of my life... and then they finallyyyyyy accepted it. it took a long time though (probably like 5-6 months...) to get them to understand that it was the right decision for ME. I hope that helps some, though every story and everybody is different. So good luck!

🙂

I completely understand the hesitation for DO because of the long standing stigma against them, but you will learn the same thing at both schools with the bonus of DO schools being OMM! I'm a first year at a DO school that is state fund but isn't attached to an undergrad campus and I like it much more because it feels more like the real world rather than a continuation of college. (I did apply to both DO and MD but really had my heart set on DO) I also cannot imagine my training osteopathic fundaments or the acquisition of these hands-on skills. I am of course a little biased toward osteopathic medicine because I think the holistic approach is so so important. This is something every school is now striving toward but since osteopathic schools are built on this principle they have more experience with it/it's more intertwined in the curriculum. I've additionally seen that since DO's schools place such an emphasis on wellness and holistic care, they tend to apply this better by emphasizing student wellness while enduring such a difficult curriculum. Also, they've since merged the traditional MD/DO residency programs so there isn't as much bias beyond graduation as there used to be.

If you put in the hard work at any DO or MD school, you will generate your opportunities for almost any residency beyond graduation. Additionally (as it's been previously mentioned) schools next cycle will NOT like seeing that you previously turned down an acceptance.

At the end of the day, a doctor is a doctor. And hey, DO's can go all the way to the White House!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
🙂

I completely understand the hesitation for DO because of the long standing stigma against them, but you will learn the same thing at both schools with the bonus of DO schools being OMM! I'm a first year at a DO school that is state fund but isn't attached to an undergrad campus and I like it much more because it feels more like the real world rather than a continuation of college. (I did apply to both DO and MD but really had my heart set on DO) I also cannot imagine my training osteopathic fundaments or the acquisition of these hands-on skills. I am of course a little biased toward osteopathic medicine because I think the holistic approach is so so important. This is something every school is now striving toward but since osteopathic schools are built on this principle they have more experience with it/it's more intertwined in the curriculum. I've additionally seen that since DO's schools place such an emphasis on wellness and holistic care, they tend to apply this better by emphasizing student wellness while enduring such a difficult curriculum. Also, they've since merged the traditional MD/DO residency programs so there isn't as much bias beyond graduation as there used to be.

If you put in the hard work at any DO or MD school, you will generate your opportunities for almost any residency beyond graduation. Additionally (as it's been previously mentioned) schools next cycle will NOT like seeing that you previously turned down an acceptance.

At the end of the day, a doctor is a doctor. And hey, DO's can go all the way to the White House!

🙂

I suspect you are over the age of 18. If so you need to start making decision on your own. It is time to cut the cord. I work in a clinic with both MDs and DOs and we call them doctors. Patients call them doctors, and I have yet to see a patient ask do you have a DO or MD. The days of the MD being the sh|t re long gone. If you have been accepted reserve your spot. I am a dentist, and it is the same in my field, DDS or DMD. No one really asked is you degree one or the other. The point is you need to start making your own decisions, and not let others dictate your path, yes they are your parents, but if I had listen to my parents I probably would not have become and become a stock broker like they wanted me to be, and doing something different today since the field is basically now defunct. When I attended dental school we had one student who wanted to become a Biochemist, his parents opposed it and made him attend dental school. Our first year, all he did was talk about hating dental school and wishes his parents would back off on the idea. Long story short, he went crazy,, his behavior became erratic in school nd he eventually dropped out of dental school, now he is neither a biochemist nor a dentist. And ended working at home depot. I know this is an extreme example, but he was an adult when he started dental school and could have made the decision to attend school for a PHd in Biochem and elected to listen to his parents.

🙂

Just a bit of information... the way billing reimbursements work both MD and DOs get paid identically... IM you’ll have no problem as a DO but the other specialties will be Challenging to get into... have you been studying hard for MCAT? A bad second score could really hurt your application and with a 501 it will be very very very hard to find a single MD school to even read your application

🙂

I agree with a great deal of the thoughts and suggestions already posted. At the end of the day you need to make a personal decision about the schools (be it DO or MD). If you liked the school and really felt like you could thrive and do well there, then you have your answer. I think many of us here would rather you go to a DO school and thrive and succeed in your dreams than go to an MD school and hate it. You have to find a place that will make you feel happiest because you will need that when your classes kick you in the teeth. I know it sounds corny, but I chose my DO school because I felt that they really cared about student success and community and I have had great classmates and faculty that have really come through for me when I was having a really rough 1st year. I don't think I would have made it if I chose another school. But that's me.

If you want to talk more about DO and residency PM me. I am 4th year this year and I can give you some more information if you wish.

Reactions: 1 users
If you gravitate towards a less competitive (read: non-surgical) residency, go for DO. If you don’t care about research, the perks of hospital affiliation or prestige, go for DO.

If I could do it all over again, I would retake the MCAT and reapply to both MD and DO schools. I know you may feel this incredible pressure to rush into med school, but I think there’s a lot to say for taking the time to gain experience and maturity outside of undergrad and schools recognize the benefit of a stable and dedicated person.

For reference, I’m a current OMSIV applying general surgery. Being a DO student was a significant deterrent for major academic centers despite a strong CV and above average board scores (both USMLE and COMLEX).
To offer a different perspective, I am also an MS4 applying GS and I got double digit academic interviews. Admittedly nothing is above mid-tier, but I feel very comfortable with my list.

Although with my app if I were an MD I would probably have had chances at top tier academic programs. I agree 100% the DO hurts applying to anything surgical, but in my experience it can me mitigated at least to a certain extent.
Brother, it doesn’t matter what school you go to if you get a 235+ On step 1, 240+ on step 2, have some EC’s and don’t fail any clases or clerkship. I’m a USMD MS3, about to be MS4, entering the 2022 match soon so believe what I’m telling you. Being an MD doesn’t mean a damn thing if you get a ****ty step 1 score. A bunch of people at my school with sub 225 scores will not beat a DO with a 235 anywhere.
This..... isn't accurate......

1. I suppose a little more information about your parent's background might be helpful
  2. The UC system is overrated, with the possible exception of UCSF. USC is mercenary enough that it might as well be for-profit
  3. I've seen a lot of DO's in our General surgery program
  4. I share your parent's distaste for 'for-profit' schools, but not a reason to pass on the acceptance. At lease RVU has accumulated a track record (compared to some of the newer schools)
  5. I've been a PD for an allopathic residency for most of the last 20 years, not starving for money or respect

Last edited:
Congratulations OP. I am a CA ORM and have also been accepted to RVU.

I know a lot of people here are saying "why are you still listening to your parents" -- people have literally been saying that to me my whole life. It's simply a cultural difference. I know how difficult these conversations with our parents are believe me but I wish you the best and hope your parents come around soon!

🙂

As a current student at RVU, I would say to re-apply to MD with an MCAT retake. Your parents are right about the for-profit at RVU. Taking 1 year again to reapply is worth it, than going here and facing a huge uphill battle for residency.

• Hmm
  • Okay...
Reactions: 5 users
Your parents aren’t going to be the ones who tell patient families that the surgery didn’t go as planned or have to refer patients to an oncologist for further cancer eval. YOU are going to be the doctor, YOU are the one who will live through the triumphs and suffering of medicine. Live your own damn life.

As a current student at RVU, I would say to re-apply to MD with an MCAT retake. Your parents are right about the for-profit at RVU. Taking 1 year again to reapply is worth it, than going here and facing a huge uphill battle for residency.

Interesting take. Care to elaborate?

Now a reality post from someone who has been through the same thing and am now in an md program after 2nd app.

First, the truth is, it is near impossible to match into some specialties as a DO, especially since Match is integrated and there is no step 1 board score for strong DO candidates to outperform the stigma. If you want to go to an md school you’ll need a higher mcat, period. You can have a fulfilling and financially rewarding career as a DO, you theoretically can do “anything” as a DO, but you can theoretically win the powerball lottery as well. DO matches went down significantly since last years integration to md match, period. Those are the facts. You can still accomplish anything, but a hell of an uphill battle with some/a few select specialties, but there are 100’s of specialties you’ll have no problem matching into as a DO.

financially: If your parents won’t pay for a DO but will for MD, it would be in your best financial interest (for decades to come) to apply again and retake the mcat to try for Md. far more financially consequential than one year paying for apps and the opportunity cost of not starting DO now.

I’ve been through the application cycle twice for some of the same reasons and now am in an Md program fwiw

—- also, you will make plenty of money either way, the debt thing would likely change things significantly for 10-20 post graduation tho.

Did you apply to DO the first time? What are you interested in?

Take the acceptance and run for life and future. You parent might be right always but this time they are wrong.

Everyone here is overthinking the MD/DO aspect. If you are anywhere near a borderline candidate, taking the acceptance is always the best option. My residency program has a 50/50 split between MD/DO. The biggest difference? Literally nothing. You either want to be a fully licensed physician or you don't, it's that simple. There are plenty of DOs doing ortho, gen surg, etc. Whatever path you choose, just dig in and put in the effort commensurate with your desired specialty.

I applied MD and DO, got accepted into both, and chose DO. I took and passed both USMLE and COMLEX. It's all the same ****. If you start blaming the initials behind your name for not achieving success before you've even started med school, you've already lost.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
First, thank you for posting. Even though I'm an MD who's worked with thousands of DO students in my career, take the acceptance as life is too short and there are too many unknowns. Moreover, many DO students I've worked with and hooded have entered surgery, ENT, anesthesia so the potential for DOs to enter competitive fields is increasing rapidly.

That being said, after accepting, it might be interesting to sit for the April MCAT to see how much better your score would have been as you will always be questioning yourself and that will drive you crazy. If your score didn't budge too much you can rest assured you made the right decision. If it goes up phenomenally you can decide this summer if you feel like changing course for next year.

Everyone here is overthinking the MD/DO aspect. If you are anywhere near a borderline candidate, taking the acceptance is always the best option. My residency program has a 50/50 split between MD/DO. The biggest difference? Literally nothing. You either want to be a fully licensed physician or you don't, it's that simple. There are plenty of DOs doing ortho, gen surg, etc. Whatever path you choose, just dig in and put in the effort commensurate with your desired specialty.

I applied MD and DO, got accepted into both, and chose DO. I took and passed both USMLE and COMLEX. It's all the same ****. If you start blaming the initials behind your name for not achieving success before you've even started med school, you've already lost.

Thank you for saying this. Its incredibly difficult to get into ANY medical school, even for stellar students. My wife sits on the admissions committee at one of the DO programs in our state and she laments the number of qualified applicants who never even get an interview simply because there are not enough seats, too many applicants, and not enough time to review everyone. I feel very blessed / fortunate to have gotten into an osteopathic medical school this cycle and I am going to make the most out of the opportunity. If I have to take a few extra steps that MDs don't have to take, then its all good, I'm willing to do that. I'm going to be fulfilling my dream.

Why did you only apply DO if you want to be an MD? If your answer is it doesn’t matter to you, then I would ask if it matters to you to spend another year NOT in medical school to be closer to your dream then spending a year doing something else (and you can’t even travel so what’s the point really???). If you think your parents are supportive, then they will support you no matter what. If not, then be like the rest of the 90% of doctors and take out loans.

Thanks everyone for the responses. Overwhelmed by the support and all the people DMing me advice.

There's always a lot of what-ifs. Just being realistic, I know I wont graduate top of my class and match into a competitive specialty. Probably the most competitive that I'm interested in is GS. I am interviewing at a few other DO schools that are less controversial than RVU, but I will matriculate this year.

Was about to post saying take the acceptance and run. Looks like you've already decided on that. I think it's a great decision, and better than the alternative. Congrats on the acceptance and making your decision.

I know I'm in the minority here but if I were in your shoes I'd bust my @$$ on my MCAT retake and apply to every single MD school. I'd give up my ability to reproduce to go back in time, do it all over again, and go MD.

• Wow
Tell your parents to f off.

If you’re making this post I’m betting you have needed to do that for quite some time.

Last edited:
First, thank you for posting. Even though I'm an MD who's worked with thousands of DO students in my career, take the acceptance as life is too short and there are too many unknowns. Moreover, many DO students I've worked with and hooded have entered surgery, ENT, anesthesia so the potential for DOs to enter competitive fields is increasing rapidly.

That being said, after accepting, it might be interesting to sit for the April MCAT to see how much better your score would have been as you will always be questioning yourself and that will drive you crazy. If your score didn't budge too much you can rest assured you made the right decision. If it goes up phenomenally you can decide this summer if you feel like changing course for next year.
Thanks for your perspective. I would be content as a DO so I will take the acceptance. I do like that idea though just to see how much better I can do and reconsider later, that way I at least know my actual potential. Even if I don't end up reapplying at least I'll know I can compete and feel less imposter syndrome having not tried and thinking my admission was a fluke with a 501.

If I do significantly better on a retake and withdraw my seat, I know my bridge with the individual school will be burned forever. Will that affect other DO schools as well?

I know I'm in the minority here but if I were in your shoes I'd bust my @$$ on my MCAT retake and apply to every single MD school. I'd give up my ability to reproduce to go back in time, do it all over again, and go MD.
Mind elaborating?

Unfortunately yes (or fortunately i guess)

Take the loan and go DO.

You will be higher on pretty much everyone’s rank list as a US trained DO than a Caribbean trained MD.

Additionally, any time you reapply, you lessen your chances of getting in, and it would SUCK to not get in at all next year, specially when you had an acceptance in hand.

Why did you only apply DO if you want to be an MD? If your answer is it doesn’t matter to you, then I would ask if it matters to you to spend another year NOT in medical school to be closer to your dream then spending a year doing something else (and you can’t even travel so what’s the point really???). If you think your parents are supportive, then they will support you no matter what. If not, then be like the rest of the 90% of doctors and take out loans.
The letters don't matter to me, and I love the osteopathic mission. But med school isn't the end of my dreams. If I want to go into a more competitive residency and by going DO means a 60% chance I'll be forced into primary care, I would take another year to increase my chances of actually doing something I want to do instead of just being a "physician." Obviously I'm not set on what specialty I want to do, but my post was to see the merits behind what my parents (and many other DO students) said that if I spend a year now and work a little harder it may be easier down the line.

I also love doing research (4 years of undergrad research) and believe MD schools generally have more opportunities for research.

(again nothing wrong with primary care, I know thats what DO schools focus on. Just using it as an example to consider other options)

I have already stated I will take out loans if I have to.

I would take another year to increase my chances of actually doing something I want to do instead of just being a "physician."
Sometimes, reading this forum makes me feel silly for wanting to go to med school to become "just a physician". As if there's something totally wrong with the idea of pursing primary care, outside of debt.

Primary care is the osteopathic mission.

This cycle is so incredibly competitive, that honestly, anyone should be grateful for an acceptance, whether DO or MD (outside of a few specific schools tbh)! I bet next year will be just as tough.

Congratulations OP. I am a CA ORM and have also been accepted to RVU.

I know a lot of people here are saying "why are you still listening to your parents" -- people have literally been saying that to me my whole life. It's simply a cultural difference. I know how difficult these conversations with our parents are believe me but I wish you the best and hope your parents come around soon!
Thank you. I know that they can be ignorant and wrong especially in this case, but I also understand that they genuinely want the best for me. No need to use profanity towards loved ones and throw away financial support unnecessarily.
Sometimes, reading this forum makes me feel silly for wanting to go to med school to become "just a physician". As if there's something totally wrong with the idea of pursing primary care, outside of debt.

Primary care is the osteopathic mission.

This cycle is so incredibly competitive, that honestly, anyone should be grateful for an acceptance, whether DO or MD (outside of a few specific schools tbh)! I bet next year will be just as tough.
Sorry I don't mean to throw shade. It was just an example and ultimately its what YOU want to do. Someone dead set on doing ortho probably would reapply to go schools with an emphasis on ortho/high matches into ortho. Absolutely nothing wrong with being a family physician; if anything we need more than ever.

Last edited:
  • Care
Thanks for your perspective. I would be content as a DO so I will take the acceptance. I do like that idea though just to see how much better I can do and reconsider later, that way I at least know my actual potential. Even if I don't end up reapplying at least I'll know I can compete and feel less imposter syndrome having not tried and thinking my admission was a fluke with a 501.

If I do significantly better on a retake and withdraw my seat, I know my bridge with the individual school will be burned forever. Will that affect other DO schools as well?

Mind elaborating?
Although its not ideal, students withdraw their acceptance for multiple reasons which is why medical schools have wait lists to fill in last minute cancellations. You would forfeit your deposit as well. The earlier one gives the school notice the better of course.

Thanks for your opinion. I know you are the minority but it's these posts of DO students regretting their decision that is making me continue to consider alternatives. Straight off the bat I might want to do general surgery residency + research, so it's hard to say DO without pause.

Actually I don't feel a rush to begin medical school as soon as possible. For the first time since I started elementary school I finally have a break from school and recoup myself before going back in. In the long term of a 30+yr career, a year or two means nothing to me.

Thanks for your opinion. I know you are the minority but it's these posts of DO students regretting their decision that is making me continue to consider alternatives. Straight off the bat I might want to do general surgery residency + research, so it's hard to say DO without pause.

Actually I don't feel a rush to begin medical school as soon as possible. For the first time since I started elementary school I finally have a break from school and recoup myself before going back in. In the long term of a 30+yr career, a year or two means nothing to me.

PCOM grad. Do what feels right for you. YOLO.

My career has been both blessed and challenged because of my choice to be a DO. Embrace your choices. Don’t choose DO unless you want to... but if you want to, screw what anyone else says. It’s your life.

In the end I make the same big fat paycheck, use the same obnoxious EMRs, and get harassed by the same insurance companies and pencil-pushing/box-checking administrators as my MD colleagues.

The letters don't matter to me, and I love the osteopathic mission. But med school isn't the end of my dreams. If I want to go into a more competitive residency and by going DO means a 60% chance I'll be forced into primary care, I would take another year to increase my chances of actually doing something I want to do instead of just being a "physician." Obviously I'm not set on what specialty I want to do, but my post was to see the merits behind what my parents (and many other DO students) said that if I spend a year now and work a little harder it may be easier down the line.

I also love doing research (4 years of undergrad research) and believe MD schools generally have more opportunities for research.

(again nothing wrong with primary care, I know thats what DO schools focus on. Just using it as an example to consider other options)

I think part of your issue is this thinking that you will be 'forced' into a primary care career. I've meet a lot of osteopathic physicians and osteopathic medical students and all, with the exception of a couple, have chosen what they wanted to do. Most have also gone into the field knowing that if they wanted to do something such as dermatology, there would be additional hoops to jump through. If you are willing to do the work, including jumping through additional hoops where necessary, then I don't see why you cannot end up in a competitive specialty if that is what you desire. You also mentioned that research is something that you want to do; its true that many DO programs are not geared towards research, particularly biomedical sciences lab-based research, but there are programs such as MSUCOM and UNTHSC-TCOM, that do have well developed research options, including the pursuit of a dual degree, for DO students. One of my draws to RVUCOM was their track in research but given that I am finishing my PhD, I will have had more research than I care to think about so that's ultimately why I declined my acceptance there; it felt like it would have been overkill given my background. My point is if you want research coming from a DO program, you can get it, you just may have to take an additional step or two that some MD students may not have to take.

Overall, my opinion is that if anyone has an acceptance, DO or MD, they should take it. They should do this irrespective of what the parents feel; if they love you, they will support you no matter what. However, if you have doubts about being a DO or what your career options will be afterwards, then you should pursue what you wish to pursue. Whatever you do, just make the best decision for you.

I'm a DO. I graduated in 2009. It's up to you.
I don't think MD schools have any way of knowing a student rejected a DO school acceptance.
You're essentially looking at 1 or more years of trying again, for a better opportunity.
I don't think that's wrong.

I know a same age peer who is still in residency, because he graduated from a US MD school in 2016.
He's going to be a vascular surgeon.
I think he might say it was worth it to him.
I don't think it is, given that we are both in our early 40s now.
You only live once, and it's your life. Best of luck to you.
Thank you. Perhaps 7 years isn't worth it, but maybe one year is.
I don’t understand. Why would you apply if you didn’t expect to get in at all? You should only apply when you feel you have your most competitive application, not throwing out “practice” applications.
My MCAT got delayed due to COVID so I got my scores back 90% into the application cycle. Then again, if someone told me "There's no point trying with a 501," I wouldn't have gotten 7 IIs. I took a risk and it worked out.
  1. I suppose a little more information about your parent's background might be helpful
  2. The UC system is overrated, with the possible exception of UCSF. USC is mercenary enough that it might as well be for-profit
  3. I've seen a lot of DO's in our General surgery program
  4. I share your parent's distaste for 'for-profit' schools, but not a reason to pass on the acceptance. At lease RVU has accumulated a track record (compared to some of the newer schools)
  5. I've been a PD for an allopathic residency for most of the last 20 years, not starving for money or respect
Grew up in a conservative ORM family in a very competitive area of CA. Sadly this type of parenting is considered normal with everyone I know.

I think part of your issue is this thinking that you will be 'forced' into a primary care career. I've meet a lot of osteopathic physicians and osteopathic medical students and all, with the exception of a couple, have chosen what they wanted to do. Most have also gone into the field knowing that if they wanted to do something such as dermatology, there would be additional hoops to jump through. If you are willing to do the work, including jumping through additional hoops where necessary, then I don't see why you cannot end up in a competitive specialty if that is what you desire. You also mentioned that research is something that you want to do; its true that many DO programs are not geared towards research, particularly biomedical sciences lab-based research, but there are programs such as MSUCOM and UNTHSC-TCOM, that do have well developed research options, including the pursuit of a dual degree, for DO students. One of my draws to RVUCOM was their track in research but given that I am finishing my PhD, I will have had more research than I care to think about so that's ultimately why I declined my acceptance there; it felt like it would have been overkill given my background. My point is if you want research coming from a DO program, you can get it, you just may have to take an additional step or two that some MD students may not have to take.

Overall, my opinion is that if anyone has an acceptance, DO or MD, they should take it. They should do this irrespective of what the parents feel; if they love you, they will support you no matter what. However, if you have doubts about being a DO or what your career options will be afterwards, then you should pursue what you wish to pursue. Whatever you do, just make the best decision for you.
If someone fails to match into ortho and the dean asks them to SOAP into a family residency or risk their career, is that not being forced into primary care? Maybe my perception of this is wrong, but I am considering the very worst case scenario to prepare for the worse and try to consider all pros and cons.

Unfortunately there are DOs every year that aim too high and fail to match, despite trying their best and going above and beyond.

Glad to hear RVU has a research focus. Though I heard they don't have the best rep with CU med and the track doesn't help much from current RVU students. Either way, I have decided to take the acceptance.

someone fails to match into ortho and the dean asks them to SOAP into a family residency or risk their career, is that not being forced into primary care? Maybe my perception of this is wrong, but I am considering the very worst case scenario to prepare for the worse and try to consider all pros and cons.
You can’t be forced to SOAP into anything.

If you’re competitive enough for ortho, most people that don’t match do prelim/transitional years and then try again, or apply to a slightly less competitive field that isn’t primary care. Radiology is a popular option.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

I think you're correct in stating that many MD schools have bountiful resources in terms of research. All ACGME (read: all residencies) are required to complete scholarly research, however. You can always conduct your own research as well. If you ever need a hand with how to initiate or design a research project, feel free to reach out to me. You may also want to look into MD/DO programs that are attached to a major research University; MSU, for example, has both an MD and DO school and more access to research than you'll ever need. Additionally, you're really only hamstrung competitively by certain stubborn fields such as neurosurgery and direct path interventional radiology, which are insanely difficult to obtain anyhow. Ortho, gen surg, radiology, OBGYN, EM, IM (and subsequent subspecialties), Psych, Rad/Onc, etc. are all very much so obtainable via the DO route. There are some programs, unfortunately, that adhere to the old stigma of MD>DO, but I'm sure you're already aware of that. You do not have a 60% chance of being "forced" into primary care as a DO; that is patently false. 60% of DOs going into family med does not = 60% going in with no other choice, this is an important distinction. Understand that many who applied to primary care chose to do so, and many others who matched into primary care may have had blemishes on their records or low board scores. If you don't plan on either of those circumstances than you do not have to worry about being "forced" into family med, because you won't be. There are many top-level med students who actually chose family med, so I'm not bashing them at all, but the reality is that it is easier to match than more competitive specialties and therefore is a fallback for many who did not achieve academic success in med school for whatever reason.

I'm sure you know this already, so please don't take this as a pointed attack at you, but more as a general statement. I would not ever call any specialty "just a 'physician,'" as all physicians should be proud of the immense amount of hard work, perseverance, and luck/external support required to get through to the end. With mid-levels dangerously legislating to practice medicine without a medical license and commensurate educational background, physicians ought to be focusing on uplifting one another rather than boxing each other out for the particular path each other chose. MD, DO, or FMG, if you acquire a residency spot, complete it, and pass the boards, your head should be held high. That's not to say that humility is not our most trusted attribute--an overconfident intern is a dangerous intern--but just realize that this infighting has allowed the landscape of the medical world to change for the worse as we focused inward. When you're running your first code blue the patient and their family won't care what initials you have and the training you've undergone will be the only thing that matters. If you ask me to choose between any physician and an NP with as little as 500 hours of graduate clinical experience, I don't care what med school you attended I'm choosing the physician. Applying to med school is applicant-centric, and to a great degree, so is medical school. Once you hit residency, however, you'll quickly realize that the only thing that matters is the patient, and no matter what route you choose, you're in control of how much you learn and how much of yourself you dedicate to your profession. Good luck, and understand that advice is just that, advice. Do what's best for you, and I wish you and your patients the best.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
If someone fails to match into ortho and the dean asks them to SOAP into a family residency or risk their career, is that not being forced into primary care? Maybe my perception of this is wrong, but I am considering the very worst case scenario to prepare for the worse and try to consider all pros and cons.

Unfortunately there are DOs every year that aim too high and fail to match, despite trying their best and going above and beyond.

Glad to hear RVU has a research focus. Though I heard they don't have the best rep with CU med and the track doesn't help much from current RVU students. Either way, I have decided to take the acceptance.
If you go for ortho and fail to match, SOAP is not the best option. If you're going for ortho, that means you either have great scores or you're insane. So, assuming you'd be in the former category, the BEST route would be to apply to transitional year (TRY) programs and rank them lower than the ortho programs you interview at. If you match into a TRY, you can apply ortho again the next year or transfer into a vacancy (gen surg typically has vacancies as folks burn out). Transitional programs also count towards PGY-1 years for lots of specialties (anesthesia, rads, neuro, PM&R, etc) so you can also seamlessly apply to a different, non-family med specialty as well the following year. When you match into a non-prelim/TRY program, you're married to the funding associated with the length of residency. For example, if you match IM you are funded by the government for 3 years, so switching to gen surgery (5 years) will be difficult because the program will have to absorb the cost of you not being funded the additional 2 years. In contrast, a prelim or TRY program is not a terminal residency, so it DOES NOT lock you into funded educational years, and you are free to apply to any specialty without saddling your future program with unreimbursed years (that may prevent you from matching to some programs.) I hope this was informative!

Last edited:
  • Love
I think you're correct in stating that many MD schools have bountiful resources in terms of research. All ACGME (read: all residencies) are required to complete scholarly research, however. You can always conduct your own research as well. If you ever need a hand with how to initiate or design a research project, feel free to reach out to me. You may also want to look into MD/DO programs that are attached to a major research University; MSU, for example, has both an MD and DO school and more access to research than you'll ever need. Additionally, you're really only hamstrung competitively by certain stubborn fields such as neurosurgery and direct path interventional radiology, which are insanely difficult to obtain anyhow. Ortho, gen surg, radiology, OBGYN, EM, IM (and subsequent subspecialties), Psych, Rad/Onc, etc. are all very much so obtainable via the DO route. There are some programs, unfortunately, that adhere to the old stigma of MD>DO, but I'm sure you're already aware of that. You do not have a 60% chance of being "forced" into primary care as a DO; that is patently false. 60% of DOs going into family med does not = 60% going in with no other choice, this is an important distinction. Understand that many who applied to primary care chose to do so, and many others who matched into primary care may have had blemishes on their records or low board scores. If you don't plan on either of those circumstances than you do not have to worry about being "forced" into family med, because you won't be. There are many top-level med students who actually chose family med, so I'm not bashing them at all, but the reality is that it is easier to match than more competitive specialties and therefore is a fallback for many who did not achieve academic success in med school for whatever reason.

Additionally, I would not ever call any specialty "just a 'physician,'" as all physicians should be proud of the immense amount of hard work, perseverance, and luck/external support required to get through to the end. With mid-levels dangerously legislating to practice medicine without a medical license and commensurate educational background, physicians ought to be focusing on uplifting one another rather than boxing each other out for the particular path each other chose. MD, DO, or FMG, if you acquire a residency spot, complete it, and pass the boards, your head should be held high. That's not to say that humility is not our most trusted attribute--an overconfident intern is a dangerous intern--but just realize that this infighting has allowed the landscape of the medical world to change for the worse as we focused inward. When you're running your first code blue the patient and their family won't care what initials you have and the training you've undergone will be the only thing that matters. I'm sure you know this already, so please don't take this as a pointed attack at you, but more as a general statement. If you ask me to choose between any physician and an NP with as little as 500 hours of graduate clinical experience, I don't care what med school you attended. Applying to med school is applicant-centric, and to a great degree, so is medical school. Once you hit residency, however, you'll quickly realize that the only thing that matters is the patient, and no matter what route you choose, you're in control of how much you learn and how much of yourself you dedicate to your profession. Good luck, and understand that advice is just that, advice. Do what's best for you, and I wish you and your patients the best.
Thank you. You are right. I'm likely not going into something competitive anyways so it shouldn't matter much to me. I apologize I shouldn't have used the word forced, it was an exaggeration to mention a point if I fail to match. I understand most people who go DO aim for primary care. I do too for the most part.

By "just a physician" I was responding to the previous comment. I am not bashing any physician at all. I simply meant I would want to become the type of physician that I want, not becoming a physician just to become a physician and tell others that "I'm a physician". If I wanted to become a surgeon and ended up in a specialty that I disliked, I wouldn't be the best physician that I could be for my patients.
If you go for ortho and fail to match, SOAP is not the best option. If you're going for ortho, that means you either have great scores or you're insane. So, assuming you'd be in the former category, the BEST route would be to apply to transitional year (TRY) programs and rank them lower than the ortho programs you interview at. If you match into a TRY, you can apply ortho again the next year as a PGY-2, or transfer into a vacancy (gen surg typically has vacancies as folks burn out). Transitional programs also count towards PGY-1 years for lots of specialties (anesthesia, rads, neuro, PM&R, etc) so you can also seamlessly apply to a different, non-family med specialty as well the following year. When you match into a non-prelim/TRY program, you're married to the funding associated with the length of residency. For example, if you match IM you are funded by the government for 3 years, so switching to gen surgery (5 years) will be difficult because the program will have to absorb the cost of you not being funded the additional 2 years. In contrast, a prelim or TRY program is not a terminal residency, so it DOES NOT lock you into funded educational years, and you are free to apply to any specialty without saddling your future program with unreimbursed years (that may prevent you from matching to some programs.) I hope this was informative!
Thanks that makes a lot of sense. I'm just a premed so my information might not be accurate, just what I've read on other threads on here. Anyways in the end I know RVU will get me to where I want to be. I'm just considering my other options and weighing the pros and cons.

Thank you. You are right. I'm likely not going into something competitive anyways so it shouldn't matter much to me. I apologize I shouldn't have used the word forced, it was an exaggeration to mention a point if I fail to match. I understand most people who go DO aim for primary care. I do too for the most part.

By "just a physician" I was responding to the previous comment. I am not bashing any physician at all. I simply meant I would want to become the type of physician that I want, not becoming a physician just to become a physician and tell others that "I'm a physician". If I wanted to become a surgeon and ended up in a specialty that I disliked, I wouldn't be the best physician that I could be for my patients.

Thanks that makes a lot of sense. I'm just a premed so my information might not be accurate, just what I've read on other threads on here. Anyways in the end I know RVU will get me to where I want to be. I'm just considering my other options and weighing the pros and cons.
Sorry if I came off aggressively, I didn't mean to imply that you were bashing physicians or primary care. It was more general than an indictment of your statements. I really do wish you the best of luck. In the end, it's your career and I understand how scary it can be. Of course, you just want what's best for you :)

EVERYONE will have an opinion on how to study, what to do, etc. It's easy to drown in all the noise. It may sound like overkill, but I absolutely promise you this will help if you have the time. I'd purchase a copy of First Aid (the bible of Step/Level 1) and even if you don't know exactly what's going on yet since you're not in school, start making your own Anki deck. If you have your own anki deck to review pathophys and basics in first aid, by the time you hit dedicated study time for step/level 1 in a few years, you'll be lightyears ahead of your classmates. You'll never have more free time than right now. lol. I'd check out this video, it's pure gold.

Making anki decks for step one using First Aid now may seem crazy, but I promise it will pay off when everyone else is killing themselves studying for step/level 1. Or you can just enjoy your free time. Either way, you're on your way to becoming a great doctor!

• Love
  • Care