CORD: 3rd year SLOE (SLO3E) System Arriving Soon

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gamerEMdoc

Program Director; Former Clerkship Director
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So at CORD Academic Assembly (which is currently ongoing) it appears there may be a long-term solution to trying to obtain 4th year rotations and over-application. Enter the SLO3E, which is meant to stand for Standard Letter of 3rd Year Evaluation. Basically, its a 3rd year modified EM SLOE from your home institution which will help programs decide who to invite to rotate for 4th year auditions. Yes, this adds another step to the process of applying to EM, so I get the angst that this is going to cause and empathize. However, this should make it much easier for programs in deciding candidates for rotation, and will hopefully make the application process more streamlined.

For more information about how the new process will work, how it will impact next years 4th year rotations, or what to do this year if you don't have anyone to write a SLO3E to make you more competitive with getting rotations, see the attached FAQ below:

EDIT: OK now that its 4/2/19, you don't have to click the attachment. This was an April Fools joke. Sorry, I couldn't resist!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• SLO3E FAQ.pdf
    304.7 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Reactions: 22 users
Community attending here, so I don't have a dog in this fight, but how much more needlessly complicated does applying to EM residency need to become?

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Very interesting FAQ, distributed it to my underclassmen EM intrest group. Thanks for the information @gamerEMdoc

Reactions: 1 user
This is hilarious, it was a meme to complain about the SLOE process last year and now they found a way to make people go through the SLOE system twice

Reactions: 1 users
I remember my home emergency medicine rotation clerkship director was an insane lunatic who formed fast and firm opinions about the students and gave bad, arbitrary advisement and graded based on whether she liked you or not, not on the merit of your performance on the rotation. My options for away rotations would have absolutely gotten destroyed by something like this.

4GPVzj1

So at CORD Academic Assembly (which is currently ongoing) it appears there may be a long-term solution to trying to obtain 4th year rotations and over-application. Enter the SLO3E, which is meant to stand for Standard Letter of 3rd Year Evaluation. Basically, its a 3rd year modified EM SLOE from your home institution which will help programs decide who to invite to rotate for 4th year auditions. Yes, this adds another step to the process of applying to EM, so I get the angst that this is going to cause and empathize. However, this should make it much easier for programs in deciding candidates for rotation, and will hopefully make the application process more streamlined.

For more information about how the new process will work, how it will impact next years 4th year rotations, or what to do this year if you don't have anyone to write a SLO3E to make you more competitive with getting rotations, see the attached FAQ below:

This was a good one.

Reactions: 1 users

My blood pressure went up. This is very well done.

You got me hook, line, and sinker. I was thinking to myself, "Damn, I'm so happy I don't have to deal with that."

Well done.

Damn, even got me. Was about to say RIP DOs. Good one.

God tier April fools joke, triggered a whole bunch of my friends by showing them this, you got me good lol

Reactions: 2 users
I had so many expletives just go through my head...
Palpitations still strong

• Haha