Cornell 2024-2025 (c/o 2029 hopefuls)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi! I emailed admissions regarding waitlist ranking and this is what they said: "Thanks for your email! We actually don’t give out much information about the Alternate List because it is ever changing. If I give you a number and then a couple of people withdraw from the list you won’t have accurate information. So hang in there and know you are on the list!".
Ugh I guess that makes sense, but if I'm at the bottom of the list then people withdrawing won't make much of a difference anyways 😭 gosh I just wish I knew how small of a chance there is of me getting off the list. In any case, thanks for the update!!!
 
Ugh I guess that makes sense, but if I'm at the bottom of the list then people withdrawing won't make much of a difference anyways 😭 gosh I just wish I knew how small of a chance there is of me getting off the list. In any case, thanks for the update!!!
The unknowns of this time are really, really hard. It makes everything feel unsettling and unmoored.
 
Ugh I guess that makes sense, but if I'm at the bottom of the list then people withdrawing won't make much of a difference anyways 😭 gosh I just wish I knew how small of a chance there is of me getting off the list. In any case, thanks for the update!!!
It would be nice to know how many people are on the list in total. Not that it would give a clear picture as to how likely our chances are, but just to know 🙃 100 people vs 200 people is a huge difference
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If anyone who was accepted is willing to provide their stats, it would be much appreciated!
Hey! My cGPA was 3.75, stem GPA 3.69 (I got a C+ in biochem oops), and I am double majoring in Evolutionary Anthropology and Biology and minoring in classical studies. I have been involved in my current lab since freshman year working on various projects (one was data sorting, one was animal behavioural observation for reproductive endocrinology and energetics, and my current project is lemur faecal parasitology which I am writing my senior thesis on atm). Freshman summer I worked as a full time vet asst at a GP small animal clinic (300h) in the US and did a summer class; soph summer I helped with functional ecology projects in Germany (380 research hrs and 75 hands-on animal hrs with bats, mice, and hedgehogs); junior summer I shadowed with a horse dentist for 6 wks (200h) also in Germany and shadowed a small animal clinic in France (135h). I volunteer w therapy dogs at a hospital (45 animal hrs) and at a dog rescue (45 animal hrs).

Ultimately, my grades were fine but not stellar, and I only started vet stuff in college. I focused most hours on wildlife research and varied, unique international experiences which paid off I think, but I also made my essays geared to a PBL school for Cornell (look at each school's learning style and missions). I am also OOS (international) and coming from a US uni. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions, and best of luck!!
 
Last edited:
It would be nice to know how many people are on the list in total. Not that it would give a clear picture as to how likely our chances are, but just to know 🙃 100 people vs 200 people is a huge difference
In this thread I counted:
7 accepted IS
13 accepted OOS
6 alternates

The sample size is small, but under the assumption that accepted and alternates are equally likely to post, I would guess the waitlist is closer to 100 than it is to 200. It would be helpful to know how much they over-accept.
 
In this thread I counted:
7 accepted IS
13 accepted OOS
6 alternates

The sample size is small, but under the assumption that accepted and alternates are equally likely to post, I would guess the waitlist is closer to 100 than it is to 200. It would be helpful to know how much they over-accept.
Appreciate you counting up those stats!! I would also think it'd be closer to 100, but who knows 😅 hoping it's a year where they go through their entire waitlist lol
 
Dumb question but as for the Dean’s Certification of Good Standing, do we ask the Dean's office to submit the form through email or by mail? It says that "Ask that office or official to return the form to the address at the bottom of this form" but I wasn't sure if that meant the email address or the actual mail address..🫠😅
 
Dumb question but as for the Dean’s Certification of Good Standing, do we ask the Dean's office to submit the form through email or by mail? It says that "Ask that office or official to return the form to the address at the bottom of this form" but I wasn't sure if that meant the email address or the actual mail address..🫠😅
Email address is fine 🙂
 
hey for those accepted and committed to cornell i figured i’d make a group me so we can start getting to know each other and share any questions we may have!

 
For those coming to February 7th accepted students day and want to meet people the day before!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0271.jpeg
    IMG_0271.jpeg
    239.8 KB · Views: 236
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all!
My name is John and I'm a member of the Cornell Vet class of 2025. Congrats if you've been accepted! I'm happy to answer any Cornell questions or vet school in general.

I am also the Secretary for the National Student American Veterinary Medical Association, which oversees SAVMA chapters at all veterinary schools. Happy to discuss that as well.

I'm not on here much, if you'd like to chat, or even need a place to stay for your visits to Ithaca please email me at [email protected]!
 
What are people wearing to the accepted students day? Is there a dress code- casual, business casual (jeans or slacks)?
 
It was definitely just casual, maybe dressy casual.

I went yesterday. I’ll be denying my OOS seat tonight or tomorrow.

Hope someone on the waitlist will get good news sooner versus later!

ETA: I had a really negative experience (unrelated to PBL) and while I understand my experience is only one of hundreds, I’m happy to share with anyone in DMs if they have reservations and are considering Cornell.
 
Last edited:
Are many others students attending information sessions 100% set on attending Cornell or are these more for students that are still deciding? Just curious!
 
ole[emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]]]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]]]]] said:
Are many others students attending information sessions [emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]% set on attending Cornell or are these more for students that are still deciding? Just curious!

I’m still deciding between schools and am attending to get more information!
 
Current Cornell Student here! Feel free to ask any questions (sorry if I am slow to reply tho lol).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What color scrubs/brand is required? and where do students usually get their coveralls for large animal clinical?
Ceil blue scrubs for small animals labs
Navy blue short sleeve coveralls for large animal labs (pretty much everyone has Dickies)
White lab coat for gross anatomy
highly recommend used/worn/ugly scrubs for gross anatomy because that formaldehyde smell sticks

while it's fun to go shopping, you'll have plenty of time to get supplies! and you'll get an official supply list over the summer

The most important thing to invest effort/time/money in to right now is yourself. Making sure you have hobbies, things that bring you joy, healthy routine, knowing recipes that you can make quickly or meal prep, etc etc

If you think that you might be able to benefit from a therapist or psychiatrist look into that now or think about what your plan would be in Ithaca. If I could turn back the wheels of time, I would have set up an appointments before orientation since I knew I would struggle with transitioning to a new place and the demands of school. Maybe I would have still been c/o 2028 instead of c/o 2029 who knows but it couldn't have hurt 🤷‍♀️

(and sorry I don't mean to scare anyone or get off topic!)
 
Is anyone else here attending the info session this Friday? I’ll be making the trek from California this week
I am! I’m relatively local from Rochester, NY, about 1.5 hours north. However we are having the worst snow/ice storm of the winter so far right now, hope it dies down before Friday or it will make travel very difficult! Dress warm since temperature feels like below 0 with the wind chill right now!
 
I am! I’m relatively local from Rochester, NY, about 1.5 hours north. However we are having the worst snow/ice storm of the winter so far right now, hope it dies down before Friday or it will make travel very difficult! Dress warm since temperature feels like below 0 with the wind chill right now!
I am definitely nervous about the weather! Hoping for the best but preparing for our travel plans to be affected
 
On the tax return, there is a page called schedule 1. The information should also be inputted already in the CSS profile but I think Cornell wants the tax return documents.
 
Hi future Cornellians! While I am not attending Cornell in the fall, I was in your shoes this time last year with the housing search because I moved to the area after graduation in May to strengthen my application as a research technician for the vet school in a dairy cattle lab. That being said, I am moving to Columbus for tOSU and have the perfect 1bedroom, 1 bath apartment a 20 min drive from the Cornell veterinary campus. Off street parking (free), and super affordable compared to downtown prices. Message me if you're interested, I plan to move out in July, so perfect timing for someone to get on an August lease.
p.s if anyone has leads to housing in the Columbus area please reach out!
 
What color scrubs/brand is required? and where do students usually get their coveralls for large animal clinical?
Upperclassman tip: The listserve once you get your Cornell email is a great place to buy scrubs/ a lab coat/ coveralls from graduating students especially for gross lab. Don't wear nice scrubs to gross lab they will smell awful forever lol. Gross lab scrubs can be any color. I also got dickies coveralls from amazon. I would also recommend buying your own nice ceil blue scrubs (for physical exam lab) bc the Cornell ones they will offer you to but are kinda cheap and very thin.
 
Upperclassman tip: The listserve once you get your Cornell email is a great place to buy scrubs/ a lab coat/ coveralls from graduating students especially for gross lab. Don't wear nice scrubs to gross lab they will smell awful forever lol. Gross lab scrubs can be any color. I also got dickies coveralls from amazon. I would also recommend buying your own nice ceil blue scrubs (for physical exam lab) bc the Cornell ones they will offer you to but are kinda cheap and very thin.
thanks! and in terms of shoes for large animal, do we need steel toed boots?
 
Did anyone else receive a college scholarship in their financial aid offer? I'm wondering if the scholarships are one-time-only (like the recruitment scholarships some other vet schools offer) or if we can anticipate receiving a similar amount each year as long as our financial need stays about the same
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did anyone else receive a college scholarship in their financial aid offer? I'm wondering if the scholarships are one-time-only (like the recruitment scholarships some other vet schools offer) or if we can anticipate receiving a similar amount each year as long as our financial need stays about the same
I got one and emailed them about it! They said students apply for scholarships every year, so the amount in your letter is only guaranteed for the coming year, but students who receive gift aid for one year are more likely to get gift aid in future years 🙂
 
I got one and emailed them about it! They said students apply for scholarships every year, so the amount in your letter is only guaranteed for the coming year, but students who receive gift aid for one year are more likely to get gift aid in future years 🙂
Okay perfect, thank you!!
 
Would love & appreciate some updates from people getting pulled from the waitlist ☺️ ty, hoping we hear some news on Monday
 
Last edited: