Cornell Agricultural and Life Sciences Students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

shred4life

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone. I'm really interested in transferring to Cornell's College of Agricultural and Life Sciences this fall (major in Animal Science) I just wanted to see if anyone attends this college currently (in any major) or Cornell's College of Liberal Arts. Cornell is my IS, and it would be nothing short of a dream to attend their vet school in the future. I figured getting the rest of my undergrad at Cornell would be a great start (Cornell Vet accepts 86 students a year, 50 in state, 30 are from Cornell and it's undergraduate colleges) Not too shabby!

I would love to hear from anyone with experience in either of the colleges aforementioned at Cornell!
 
I just graduated from the college of ag at Cornell this past may. I majored in Animal Science and am applying to vet school right now. Did you have any specific questions? Please feel free to PM me.
 
Hey shred4life!

I'm currently a senior in CALS at Cornell. I transferred to Cornell the beginning of my Junior year into the Animal Science program. Applying to vet school next year. Transferring to Cornell was an awesome decision to make, and I would highly recommend the program to anyone interested in pursuing a career with animals.

There are a lot of pre-vets in the Animal Science program, but I wouldn't say that veterinary medicine is the primary focus of the program. It's actually kind of hard to define the goal of the Animal Science program, as there aren't really any degree requirements for AnSci majors, leaving tons of flexibility for you to study pretty much anything you want. There is so much potential to learn about animal production, management, and business, as well as animal biology or medically related topics for all types of species. In particular, there's a big dairy program (Dairy Fellows) in the animal science program, which I would recommend getting involved in if you're into cows, milk production, or dairy farm management. (You'll soon find out Cornell faculty are really into dairy cows =P)

All of the faculty members (some of our professors are world renown) are very friendly, most are involved with research (many opportunities to get involved, if that's what you're interested in), and truly make it their goal to build close relationships with the students and to see you personally succeed.

If you're interested in vet school, graduating from Cornell as opposed to another NYS college won't (technically) help you. 5% of Cornell's vet school application formula is based on "degree quality"... or something like that. They don't officially favor NYS Cornell graduates over other NYS residents who graduated from another school (though some could argue that the numbers don't lie). Cornell Vet School admissions staff say that the high number of Cornell students accepted to the vet school is due to the sheer number of Cornell students who apply to Cornell Vet School each year.
Nevertheless, I would say that by simply being at Cornell and being around faculty members and advisors who are familiar with the Vet School is an advantage. There are always opportunities to get involved in research at the vet school, or to meet with the admissions staff, or to talk with vet students themselves. Not only will you be able to see and learn all about Cornell's Vet School, but I think that the faculty advisors here can really help you prepare yourself for applying there.


I guess that's Cornell in a nutshell. If you have any other questions, let me know!


P.S. I found the academics at Cornell to be much harder than my old university. My GPA actually dropped by an entire point (1.0) the first year after I transferred (other transfer students I knew had no problem keeping up with the work). Something to keep in mind.