Cornell English pre-req?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thelarson

MSU Pre-Vet Class of 2010
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been looking at Cornell's pre-reqs and I've noticed that AP credit is accepted for only physics and chem. I have AP credit for English language and English literature, which adds up to 8 credits. Cornell requires 6, but their website states:

"We accept AP credit with a grade of 4 or higher for General/Inorganic Chemistry and Physics. If you have AP credit for other pre-requisites, it is expected that a more advanced course in the same subject will be listed with a grade in fulfillment of the requirement."

Does this mean that I have to complete 6 additional English credits? This just seems silly, since they'll accept my science credit from AP but not English.

Here's the link to their pre-req page:
http://www.vet.cornell.edu/admissions/prep.htm

Members don't see this ad.

When in doubt call them. It's really early for the next cycle so hopefully they won't be in dread mode yet from calls.

I won't be applying for a couple of years yet, but I'm just looking ahead and realizing that I don't want to (and probably can't) fit in two more English classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied this year and if you get above a 650 on the GRE verbal it waives the english requirement. Figured I would tell you that because I don't think they tell you anywhere except on the supplemental app when you fill in your courses/grades for the 100th time. If you are taking the GRE soon and do well it may be a moot point for worrying and having to take more courses (and yes it is possible to do that well on the verbal; I had a friend get above a 700 a few times; not me though:). But as someone else posted the best thing to do is call.

As a warning though, Cornell is kind of a pain about their pre-req. My friend got accepted this year but was shortly told that she would have to take anal chem because she didn't meet the gen chem req even though she took the advanced gen chem which was compacted into a semester instead of a year. After a 3 week ordeal of contacting people at Cornell and her undergrad school were they convinced she didn't need to take anal chem.

They're definitely a pain on this one. I was an alternate but took myself off the list because I would have had to take a semester of English over the summer to go. I agree that it's weird that they'll take the science AP credit but not the English. There is a little loophole on the website, though, that if you can get a letter from a prof explaining that you did well in a class where the grade was >50% writing you can be exempt from the requirement-- it just is due early on in the application cycle so heads-up (funny also that writing seems to be their primary concern but they don't take the GRE writing score).

If your school offers W (writing intensive) courses that are marked as that on the transcript you don't need a letter.

Good luck

I think the thought process behind accepting AP science but not AP english is that you will be getting all the important science concepts again in vet school (including physics- oh yes, it does come back), but your writing training ends with undergrad. Thus your undergrad writing education has to be more thorough than your basic sciences. Plus you should have had undergrad chem courses that went beyond gen chem, right?

I have been looking at Cornell's pre-reqs and I've noticed that AP credit is accepted for only physics and chem. I have AP credit for English language and English literature, which adds up to 8 credits. Cornell requires 6, but their website states:

"We accept AP credit with a grade of 4 or higher for General/Inorganic Chemistry and Physics. If you have AP credit for other pre-requisites, it is expected that a more advanced course in the same subject will be listed with a grade in fulfillment of the requirement."

Does this mean that I have to complete 6 additional English credits? This just seems silly, since they'll accept my science credit from AP but not English.

Here's the link to their pre-req page:
http://www.vet.cornell.edu/admissions/prep.htm

Yes they do want you to take english in college - I asked this last year. They have a substitution form and I think I used some non-english writing intensive class as a substitute.

I find it comical that they are so overly concerned that you can express yourself in writing, yet have zero concern for whether or not you can express yourself verbally (aka, no interviews). go big red!