Cornell English Prereq - so confused!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VeganChick

Tufts University V'13
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am completely baffled by this prereq. The requirement says that six is the minimum course credits needed for "English Comp or Writing" and "English". But the information on the website seems to indicate that only one course is needed as it only describes Comp or Writing, and on the prereq substitution form, there is only a spot for "Eng. Comp." and not "English".

I emailed Cornell to ask them if they had changed this requirement since last year and they said no, it had always been 6 credits. I knew I had one Writing course undergrad, so I asked Jennifer what other class was used for my "English" prereq last app cycle. She told me "Oral Expression" which sounds good - except that I took Oral Expression in Russian and in French. I emailed her again but haven't heard back and prereq sub forms are past due.

Any ideas/thoughts? I am so confused!

Members don't see this ad.

A Public Speaking course will count for an English requirement, did you take one of those? Also any Writing Intensive course, in any subject area, will count. Maybe that was taken care of by your French and Russian Oral expression.

Jennifer has been really good about responding to pre-req questions and conundrums, so if she thinks that course works, use it. That would be my advice.

Good luck.

Ok, Jennifer got back to me (see? I knew if I posted my dilemma here, it would get resolved! :D) My guess (although she did not say) is that the "Oral Expression" acceptance was an oversight last year on the AdCom's part as the courses don't fit the bill (as I expected, which is why I did not want to try and pull the wool over the AdCom's eyes by saying "but she said it would work" when I knew that they really should not.) Anyway, she gave me a little broader definition of what they are looking for and I think I am okay now. Thankfully - she said if I wasn't, I would have to take a course in the spring, which I found kind of funny. Two degrees and 60 additional credits and I need to take an English class?! Ah, the irony...:laugh: