Cornell IM Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vas

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any info about the IM program at Cornell, specifically malignancy of the program, call schedule and overnight call, camraderie among residents, attendings, fellowship placement, ancillary services, scut work, and so on. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

vas said:
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any info about the IM program at Cornell, specifically malignancy of the program, call schedule and overnight call, camraderie among residents, attendings, fellowship placement, ancillary services, scut work, and so on. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hey Vas- just finished my sub-i at Cornell, so I think I might be able to answer some of your questions. The PGY1 year is pretty tough, but that seems to be the case everywhere, and so satisfaction during the first year is a poor measure of how a program is, in a fashion. Still, if my sub-i is anything to go by, I think the experience is great/not so bad. I should mention that by the time your PGY3 year hits, you end up spending more time at home/drinking coffee than on the floors, which for some people is a weakness in the program (versus continuing to work your ass off/learn stuff).

As I like drinking coffee, it's a strength :D.

Call is typically q4, with night float on fridays and saturday. Overall, the program is well run, and the residency director is an exceptionally strong advocate for the residents. The group is pretty close-knit, save for NYU/Cornell cliques that carry-over from med school. The attendings are really accessible and open to chatting about medicine/life. In other words, the program "feels" comfortable and friendly, in a "we're all in it together" kinda way. Housing, of course, rocks for the upper east side, and because it's in the upper east side. Proximity to HSS and MSKCC is a plus, too, if that's what you're interested in.

Ahem. Now back to my early evening coffee. Gotta love research electives :) .