cosmetic dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dWiz

...ndn...
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure cosmetic dentistry is not a specialty field, so what is it exactly? Does it involve taking some ceritifiable courses after dental school or something? Just curious...

Members don't see this ad.

Some dentists have done AEGD programs to perfect their skills in certain areas or in implants but I guess it depends on your level of comfort. Some people need more time than others to hone their abilities but it all comes with experience.

Its all cosmetic dentistry! I dont think a dentist has ever had a patient come in and say "could you make that crown look really really fake."

Members don't see this ad :)
i dont think that there is a specialty, but i think that there is a like some kind of title only like 130 dentist in the US have.

let me rephrase my question ; can any general dentist advertise himself as a cosmetic dentist or does he need to get some kind of certification or pass an exam to get that title?

Yes, any Tom, Dick, or Harry with a DDS/DMD can advertise as a Cosmetic Dentist. There is no specialty by that title. Just about everyone is advertising this way and I've seen some guys who tout themselves as cosmetic dentists, and I've seen their work, some are great and some suck as far as asthetics.

Why am I raving? I don't know but I guess the term Cosmetic Dentist really means nothing.

I guess its been said in a previous posting, but we were told by a "cosmetic" Dentist that it is actually wrong to use that title (legally). There is as of yet no ADA specialty called Cosmetics. All dental work should be aesthetic/cosmetic. There is however, the Las Vegas institute (among others) that can provide advanced esthetic training.

Correct me if I am wrong but doesnt the LVI focus more on practice management, ie how to turn your practice into a "Dental Spa", and less on actaul aesthetic training. From what I have heard it focuses on reshaping ones view of dentistry to the LVI dental philosophy. Often this involves changing your office decor and music along with becoming more patient selective. To me, and once again correct me if I am wrong, LVI teaches you more how to run a racket and less how to be a skilled, aesthetically conscious clinician.

dWiz said:
I am pretty sure cosmetic dentistry is not a specialty field, so what is it exactly? Does it involve taking some ceritifiable courses after dental school or something? Just curious...

The ADA definition list cosmetic/esthetic dentistry under the specialty of prosthodontics, but any Joe Shmoe can hang a plack calling himself a "cosmetic dentist"

Basically, as I understand it, the title "cosmetic dentistry" is a way to attract new patients and fooling them into thinking they are offering something unique skill wise. There are CE courses to teach better aesthetic techniques, but those are aimed at dentists in general. I think some dentists thinks it enables them to charge more for services.

J2AZ said:
Its all cosmetic dentistry! I dont think a dentist has ever had a patient come in and say "could you make that crown look really really fake."

Sure they do. We had patients at our dental school where if you were treatment planning an anterior crown, they requested full gold in the anterior instead of porcelain. Patients also used to ask for a gold trimmed denture tooth in the anterior part of the denture as well.

griffin04 said:
Sure they do. We had patients at our dental school where if you were treatment planning an anterior crown, they requested full gold in the anterior instead of porcelain. Patients also used to ask for a gold trimmed denture tooth in the anterior part of the denture as well.

well some people like to get it done "strait up gangsta style". :thumbup:

griffin04 said:
Actually, this is still a cosmetic request. I think the old saying goes, "beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder" or something like that.

Have you ever asked them why they want a big gold tooth on their denture? I did once. The patient said, "so people think deez are my real teef." So, this is still a cosmetic request.

griffin04 said:

You are right. To me and you and the average joe that would look fake. However, as the previous post indicates, to some a denture tooth trimmed in gold looks more real than a denture tooth with natural tooth shade. If you travel south of the border to mexico and central america you will see many young people with at least one of their anterior teeth trimmed in gold. This is often cosmetic. Thus, as one looses their real teeth they op for dentures with the same gold trim. It is more common out in the campo were a decorative tooth is an indication of money and a bit of social status.

J2AZ said:
If you travel south of the border to mexico and central america you will see many young people with at least one of their anterior teeth trimmed in gold.

Dude, try south of the Mason-Dixon.

griffin04 said:
So...I should get rid of my gold tooth #8? Or maybe I shouldn't have put a picture of that mud-flap girl on it.

JesseBrad3 said:
Basically, as I understand it, the title "cosmetic dentistry" is a way to attract new patients and fooling them into thinking they are offering something unique skill wise. There are CE courses to teach better aesthetic techniques, but those are aimed at dentists in general. I think some dentists thinks it enables them to charge more for services.

This is right on the money... literally. Also, LVI, the Las Vegas Institute offers what they deem a "certification" called "LVIM," standing for Las Vegas Institute Master.

toofache, your posts always crack me up :thumbup: :laugh:

toofache32 said:
So...I should get rid of my gold tooth #8? Or maybe I shouldn't have put a picture of that mud-flap girl on it.

Along these lines, when I worked in an ortho office, we had a patient's mother sit in for an initial exam. I believe the quote was, "Look at my son, he gotta messed up grill. Do you take Medicaid?" :laugh:

ktcook83 said:
I believe the quote was, "Look at my son, he gotta messed up grill. Do you take Medicaid?" :laugh:

I had a pediatric patient who was getting one of those silver crowns. When she saw it she got excited and said, "ooooohh, just like momma's!"

you don't have to take anything or do anything to be a cosmetic dentist. most dentist that advertise themselves as a cosmetic dentist, have done far more cosmetic work, and are therefore better at it, than dentist that just advertise themselves as a general dentist.
Most dentist that advertise themselves as cosmetic dentist that I've been around have hundreds of before and after pictures to sure there patients just how good of a job they've done. the only hard part is starting out because you have nothing to prove how good your work is or how good it will be