Cosmetic Podiatry on TV

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD2b20004

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw this show once, I forgot what it was but it was on the same channel that Dr. 90210 (Dr. Rey) comes on. There was this podiatrist in LA who makes crap loads of money just reshaping (shortening certain toes) of models and celeberties and rich people who just want everything to look perfect. Especially females who wear toe shoes, they always want those toes looking so perfect.

Eventhough this was not the office or the TV thingy, it is amazing to know what podiatrists do and what their scope of practice can entail. Goto this site and see an example:

http://www.nycfootcare.com/services.htm

Members don't see this ad.

What a bunch of hacks. Some people will do anything for money. Even the "cryosurgery" is completely unnecessary for a self limiting condition. Once again vanity and greed rule some people's lives.

Cosmetic Podiatry is pretty popular in NY and LA.

Believe it or not, there is even a society for Cosmetic Podiatry. The society's website is: http://www.iafs.com/about.html

One of the leading Cosmetic Podiatrist from NY that I see on various TV programming events is Dr. Suzanne Levine. You can read up more about her at: http://institutebeaute.com/doc_levine.html

Personally, I think that Cosmetic Podiatry is a bad idea. Compromising foot function for foot beauty.

Members don't see this ad :)
dpmgrad said:
Cosmetic Podiatry is pretty popular in NY and LA.

Believe it or not, there is even a society for Cosmetic Podiatry. The society's website is: http://www.iafs.com/about.html

One of the leading Cosmetic Podiatrist from NY that I see on various TV programming events is Dr. Suzanne Levine. You can read up more about her at: http://institutebeaute.com/doc_levine.html

Personally, I think that Cosmetic Podiatry is a bad idea. Compromising foot function for foot beauty.

Get some sleep!

Essentially, the basic job of a Podiatrist is to provide customer service. Even though I don't sit well with the idea of permanently altering one's feet for cosmetic services, there is a demand for it. I heard about cosmetic foot surgery about a year ago, and it amazed me that the people would choose to have their own feet altered. But they are customers, so I say give them what they want. It's not always about greed, but the customer satisfaction you can give to a patient. Patients choose any type of medical professional based on their reputation and what others have to say. Plus, if it's something to make the patient feel good, who are we to judge what they need?

molldoll2010dpm said:
Essentially, the basic job of a Podiatrist is to provide customer service. Even though I don't sit well with the idea of permanently altering one's feet for cosmetic services, there is a demand for it. I heard about cosmetic foot surgery about a year ago, and it amazed me that the people would choose to have their own feet altered. But they are customers, so I say give them what they want. It's not always about greed, but the customer satisfaction you can give to a patient. Patients choose any type of medical professional based on their reputation and what others have to say. Plus, if it's something to make the patient feel good, who are we to judge what they need?
It's really no different than any other vanity operation/surgery people in the US have everday. Look at the money plastic surgeons make on rich people to make them young and beautiful again. It's really just an extension of improving one's perception of one's self through surgical means. If it makes the patient feel better, that's all that counts and why we're here. But of course, they must be informed of the risk involved.

capo said:
It's really no different than any other vanity operation/surgery people in the US have everday. Look at the money plastic surgeons make on rich people to make them young and beautiful again. It's really just an extension of improving one's perception of one's self through surgical means. If it makes the patient feel better, that's all that counts and why we're here. But of course, they must be informed of the risk involved.

They definately have to be informed of the risk, but I'm guessing with as many people as there are that have cosmetic surgery the risk is worth it.

molldoll2010dpm said:
Essentially, the basic job of a Podiatrist is to provide customer service.

What?!? The basic job of a pods is not customer care, we don't work in VISA's call center. The basic job of pod is to provide health care. Compromising function for appearance goes against everything that you are taught. If you had a white coat ceremony or if you have graduate, you take an oath. Nowhere in that oath does it say to please you customers. Our job is to help them, yes, but in this case a psychological help is a better venue than destroying a persons feet so they look pretty.

I don't care if our areas of medicine do this crap, we should be above it. This is only an attempt to increase revenue by a bunch of idiots who should lose their licenses.

Dr_Feelgood said:
What?!? The basic job of a pods is not customer care, we don't work in VISA's call center. The basic job of pod is to provide health care. Compromising function for appearance goes against everything that you are taught. If you had a white coat ceremony or if you have graduate, you take an oath. Nowhere in that oath does it say to please you customers. Our job is to help them, yes, but in this case a psychological help is a better venue than destroying a persons feet so they look pretty.

I don't care if our areas of medicine do this crap, we should be above it. This is only an attempt to increase revenue by a bunch of idiots who should lose their licenses.

great post feel-good. I agree. we are not in a customer service profession. it is our job to tell the patient what is best for them and the risks and benefits to all the options. then let the patient make an informed decision. that being said we still do not have to do anything that is unethical to us as doctors.

if you had a diabetic patient that had an ulcer on the bottom of her foot and just wanted an amputation so she didn't have to keep coming into the office every week for total contact cast and wound dressing changes would you do it? (this is at the poster who thinks we are in customer service)

I wouldn't. would that really benefit the patient. not likely. an amputation is another wound that has to heal. and a life style adjustment must be made to accomadate a lost limb or foot.

It is not always up to the patient. Patients cannot demand that you treat them. you always have the option to refer them elsewhere or deny treatment as long as it is done professionally.

And the Plastic Surgeons - some of them are into wound care and other life changing medical services (not nose and breast jobs). These plastic surgeons think that their collegues are a bit corrupt or unethical for doing some of the procedures they do.

krabmas said:
great post feel-good. I agree. we are not in a customer service profession. it is our job to tell the patient what is best for them and the risks and benefits to all the options. then let the patient make an informed decision. that being said we still do not have to do anything that is unethical to us as doctors.

if you had a diabetic patient that had an ulcer on the bottom of her foot and just wanted an amputation so she didn't have to keep coming into the office every week for total contact cast and wound dressing changes would you do it? (this is at the poster who thinks we are in customer service)

I wouldn't. would that really benefit the patient. not likely. an amputation is another wound that has to heal. and a life style adjustment must be made to accomadate a lost limb or foot.

It is not always up to the patient. Patients cannot demand that you treat them. you always have the option to refer them elsewhere or deny treatment as long as it is done professionally.

And the Plastic Surgeons - some of them are into wound care and other life changing medical services (not nose and breast jobs). These plastic surgeons think that their collegues are a bit corrupt or unethical for doing some of the procedures they do.
It is said that the ADMIRED/FAMOUS and the RICHEST Plastice surgeons like Dr. Rey (If any of you see his show on Dr. 90210) basically all he does is unneccessary procedure for people with money who want to buy looks. Those plastics surgeons that treat deformaties/bruns,etc... although get paid good, you dont hear much about and they unfortunately do not make as much as those as Dr. Rey. We all know what the healthcare field is meant for and why one should go into it, but a lot say they are in to it for the right reason and contridict themselves once they graduate or see the $$$. All in all, different strokes for different folks...

MD2b20004 said:
It is said that the ADMIRED/FAMOUS and the RICHEST Plastice surgeons like Dr. Rey (If any of you see his show on Dr. 90210) basically all he does is unneccessary procedure for people with money who want to buy looks. Those plastics surgeons that treat deformaties/bruns,etc... although get paid good, you dont hear much about and they unfortunately do not make as much as those as Dr. Rey. We all know what the healthcare field is meant for and why one should go into it, but a lot say they are in to it for the right reason and contridict themselves once they graduate or see the $$$. All in all, different strokes for different folks...

The thing of it is that they will never be happy. There is not enough plastic surgery out there for these types of patients. It is our obligation to them to send them for counseling before we cut and paste. Don't get me wrong, I'll enjoy every dollar I earn; but I'm selling my soul like these scumbags.

Dr_Feelgood said:

Absolutely correct.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr_Feelgood said:

The whole medical profession is based on customer service. I'm not saying their main job isn't to provide quality health care, because it is. What I'm saying is that if you don't please the patients you have they will seek out other medical professionals and you will lose clients. I'm not saying I agree with distorting someone feet for vanity purposes, I'm just saying that is a patient wants a service that you aren't willing to provide they will have someone else do it. It's a good thing that you don't agree with it, because I would never personally give someone a procedure that could possibly criple them for life just so they look pretty. I will let someone else deal with those procedures and risks of malpractice. But, Podiatry is a customer service job like any other health profession. Practitioners that work in hospitals and are of any specialty are all held to the same guidelines of Patient service and satisfaction. I work in a hospital, and I see how restricted most of these practitioners are on a daily basis with interactions with patients.

molldoll2010dpm said:
The whole medical profession is based on customer service. I'm not saying their main job isn't to provide quality health care, because it is. What I'm saying is that if you don't please the patients you have they will seek out other medical professionals and you will lose clients. I'm not saying I agree with distorting someone feet for vanity purposes, I'm just saying that is a patient wants a service that you aren't willing to provide they will have someone else do it. It's a good thing that you don't agree with it, because I would never personally give someone a procedure that could possibly criple them for life just so they look pretty. I will let someone else deal with those procedures and risks of malpractice. But, Podiatry is a customer service job like any other health profession. Practitioners that work in hospitals and are of any specialty are all held to the same guidelines of Patient service and satisfaction. I work in a hospital, and I see how restricted most of these practitioners are on a daily basis with interactions with patients.

I do agree with you that there is always someone who will do any procedure for the money but that every time this is done we need a licensing board with the brass to pull the license. Now the problems is money speaks and any level of government is corrupt. In today's world, I'm surprised that mob doctors don't get licensed .

Not to get too political but isn't it sad that we think we are the shining light to the world and our "democracy" (which is really a Republic) is one of the most legally corrupted governments on the planet. Sad but true.

Dr_Feelgood said:
I do agree with you that there is always someone who will do any procedure for the money but that every time this is done we need a licensing board with the brass to pull the license. Now the problems is money speaks and any level of government is corrupt. In today's world, I'm surprised that mob doctors don't get licensed .

Not to get too political but isn't it sad that we think we are the shining light to the world and our "democracy" (which is really a Republic) is one of the most legally corrupted governments on the planet. Sad but true.

I agree.

I vote for pods to do brain surgery to increase revenue. How else can I afford my fleet of Beamers? All in favor say aye... :laugh:

capo said:
I vote for pods to do brain surgery to increase revenue. How else can I afford my fleet of Beamers? All in favor say aye... :laugh:

aye!!!! My boyfriend wants me to buy him a pirate ship and a monkey-doing brain surgery would definately help me pay for that!! ;)

Well if you keep saying AYYYYE. Then you at least have the pirate lingo down.

Dr_Feelgood said:
Well if you keep saying AYYYYE. Then you at least have the pirate lingo down.
This all sounds like a good idea for an episode of Miami Vice to make a comeback with. This since the Pirate movie was overwhelmed by Vice's opening weekend. Aye?! :p
Maybe Tubbs and Crockett can comback as undercover pods -- doing brain surgery w/ or ON monkey's. :laugh:

I heard the movie left was poopie. No big surprise since the last original thought that the studios had was in 1934. I've been boycotting the movie industry (somewhat, I buy DVDs) since I heard they were remaking Nerds. I hate remakes almost as much as I hate sequels just for the sake of increasing revenue.

Dr_Feelgood said:
I heard the movie left was poopie. No big surprise since the last original thought that the studios had was in 1934. I've been boycotting the movie industry (somewhat, I buy DVDs) since I heard they were remaking Nerds. I hate remakes almost as much as I hate sequels just for the sake of increasing revenue.

No kidding. only a few sequels work--things like james bond and austin powers and the godfather. but scary movie?? fast and the furious (which was pretty stupid to begin with) ill join your boycott.

Dr_Feelgood said:

Remakes are terrible. I'm into Japanese horror cinema and the films that America keeps remaking are awful.

Alright, we've got a little anti-Hollywood movement going. We need a name though, any suggestions?

Dr_Feelgood said:
Alright, we've got a little anti-Hollywood movement going. We need a name though, any suggestions?

yeah, good question. as long as we're starting something meaningful, maybe we should have a uniquie name, as opposed to some arbitrary word. here is my submission:
Happy No More
:D