USC First YR Cost of Attendance $162k 2022-2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is PSLF guaranteed? Like I have heard of people getting their loans forgiven but they were 10-20k.
I believe that it is in the loan promissory notes now. The caveat being that I’m not sure how feasible it is for dentists to find stable employment at a nonprofit. Physicians can usually just do academic medicine or work at a non profit hospital. Are there many nonprofit in denistry? I’m not sure.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Combine that with a gym membership, a large mini van or van, get a camp stove and maybe some solar panels to power a fridge inside the van, you're good to go. Adapting to the climate I think would be the hardest part if it's harsh conditions at night for sleeping.
It’s probably the same (or cheaper) if you share an apartment with several roommates and split the rent and utility bills with them. I shared a 2 bed 2 bath apt with 4 roommates and I paid around $250 a month. That was 20+ years ago. With the current rent rate, it would probably cost each person around $700-800 a month now. It’s only 10 minute walk to the dental school….so no need to pay for a car + car maintenance + car insurance + ridiculously expensive parking permit. With a pair of earplugs that helped block out all the distraction noise, I didn’t have any problem with sleeping and studying.

Rental market is so expensive in 2022, I wonder if dental students are spending more rent today than anytime in the history of being a dental student. It’s pretty normal to rent $3-4k a month in some expensive cities like San Fran, Boston, NYC, Miami/Ft Lauderdale, Chicago, etc today. I wouldn’t be surprised if some dental students are borrowing $150-200k just for rent and utilities (excluding food) for 4 years of DS in those markets. And that’s before interest on that portion of their student loans. Insane! Inflation is making a bad situation worse.

Members don't see this ad :)
And that’s before interest on that portion of their student loans. Insane! Inflation is making a bad situation worse.
I’m also fairly certain the interest rate on federal student loans is tied to the 10 year treasury yield. Since that’s going up, expect higher interest rates on loans starting next year.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 2 users
I’m also fairly certain the interest rate on federal student loans is tied to the 10 year treasury yield. Since that’s going up, expect higher interest rates on loans starting next year.

Big Hoss

Yes. With cost of everything up, it will just lead to more borrowing at higher interest rates. I can see a case for faculty and employees demanding higher wages due to high inflation from dental schools, and programs passing that cost down to students. Tuition rising every year by 3-5% could jump to 5-10% next year. Everyone in the dental training industry will charge it to the game (the students).

LOL. Do you guys have any good news for these new potential dentists?
The one thing that I would add, regardless of the reality that the country is likely going into a recession(and arguably is already in even if the defined criteria hasn't officially been met yet), is that in the now closing in on 25 years I have been practicing, I honestly can't recall which number recession/economic slowdown period this will be. The country and you will get through it. You will be able to adapt to the challenges that it will bring, and then it will get better, all to just repeat itself again in another cycle in the years after that.

You also tend to grow a little wary of our elected officals when you see over and over again that the policies that they say will help things, are often just some short term "smoke and mirrors" type stuff, and often will cause more issues down the road, and also often create more challenging conditons for you practice in in the future. But you will adapt and get through those challenges too.

Yes. With cost of everything up, it will just lead to more borrowing at higher interest rates. I can see a case for faculty and employees demanding higher wages due to high inflation from dental schools, and programs passing that cost down to students. Tuition rising every year by 3-5% could jump to 5-10% next year. Everyone in the dental training industry will charge it to the game (the students).
Makes me glad I'm graduating next year...

If you work hard and pay off the loan way before the end of the loan term, then having a higher interest rate doesn’t really matter much. Even with a higher interest rate, you will end up paying much less in interest than your friend who has a lower interest loan if you pay off your loan in 5 (or less) years....and not dragging it out to a full 10-15 year loan term like your friend. Paying more than the required minimum amount every month also helps you avoid doing stupid things….like buying a car/house you can’t afford. And when you work all the time, you don’t have time to waste your money on stupid things. All medical students have to work 6-7 days/ week (and earn half as much as a new grad dentist) for at least 3 years (of residency) after graduation. Why can’t the dentists do the same for the first 3 years?

Last edited:
And when you work all the time, you don’t have time to waste your money on stupid things.
This is a vintage Charles statement. Do you think the younger generation today work as hard as our generation (The 40 to 55 yr old dentists)? I think gig economy made people more lazy in general, specially over the last couple of decades… they became too reliant on tech based convenient world; using apps, social media, digital economy, etc. I think hard work might be a foreign concept to some of them. Just an observation, not to imply all young adults are lazy.

Anyways… as far as good news for pre-dents… there are none! Dental school debt is slowly becoming a predatory scheme. Unless you join the military or have rich parents, it’s a financial Russian roulette for many pre-dents. The odds of borrowing $1M to become a dentist is getting higher every year. Think about that!

Reactions: 1 users
This is a vintage Charles statement. Do you think the younger generation today work as hard as our generation (The 40 to 55 yr old dentists)?
I don’t know what the younger generation think and want. But one thing I know for sure is that in order for them to have the same nice things that I’ve enjoyed, they will have to work many times harder than me because they owe more in student loans than me….they will face stiffer competition (due to the opening of new dental schools)….they have less purchasing power (due to inflation) etc. I could easily get by with working 2 days/week as an associate ortho. Nobody pointed a gun in my head and made me work 6 days/wk. It’s completely voluntary. Life is too short. I didn’t want to wait until I am in my 60s-70s to save enough to get myself a nice 7-series or S-class….. I wanted to drive them ASAP; therefore, I chose to work 6 days/week. Having an average lifestyle is not acceptable because that would be a complete waste of my valuable degree (an ortho certificate) that I had spent 11 years to earn….I want to maximize the benefits of being an orthodontist.

Nobody forces you to work hard. You are free to do whatever you want. Nobody is responsible for your life. If you want something, you have to work to earn it. The more expensive things you want, the harder you have to work. The sooner you want to retire, the harder you have to work. Nothing is free. It’s a very simple concept.
I think gig economy made people more lazy in general, specially over the last couple of decades… they became too reliant on tech based convenient world; using apps, social media, digital economy, etc. I think hard work might be a foreign concept to some of them. Just an observation, not to imply all young adults are lazy.
I think technology has made things more expensive for the younger generation and thus, they have to work harder to pay for these toys….less purchasing power for them. When I went to school, I took lecture notes on a $1 notebook. Now, every student has to buy a laptop....and have to replace it when it breaks. At my office, I still use paper charts. Now, most of my colleagues use digital charts, which require a lot of $$$ and time to maintain. There were no cell phones, no internet when I went to school. Most cars didn’t have airbags...only the luxury ones had them. Now, every car has airbags, which cost more to make. The convenience of technology comes at a cost.
Anyways… as far as good news for pre-dents… there are none! Dental school debt is slowly becoming a predatory scheme. Unless you join the military or have rich parents, it’s a financial Russian roulette for many pre-dents. The odds of borrowing $1M to become a dentist is getting higher every year. Think about that!
Not just dental schools. All schools raise their tuitions. Today new grad doctors, pharmacists, nurses, PAs, engineers, teachers etc. all have higher student loan debts than the previous generation. And they have to go to schools because a lot of good paying jobs require people to have a college degree. I feel really bad for the younger generation.

Last edited:
Med schools have actually made pretty good strides in terms of offering significant merit aid. After NYU went tuition free, the floodgates kind of opened. Even the lower mid tier that I will be attending, without the endowment of higher ranked schools, gave me full tuition. I think it’s becoming increasingly common so med schools can draw people in who may have been reluctant to pay

Not just dental schools. All schools raise their tuitions. Today new grad doctors, pharmacists, nurses, PAs, engineers, teachers etc. all have student loan debts than the previous generation. And they have to go to schools because a lot of good paying jobs require people to have a college degree. I feel really bad for the younger generation

Members don't see this ad :)
Dentistry and its appeal to future dentists is going be at a bit of a crossroads for sure, especially when compared to other professions where the out of the office, work from anywhere concept gives more freedom for those in those fields. The reality is that dentistry, the overwhelming vast majority of the time is a profession where one HAS to be in the office with our patients in our offices to get the work done. I mean I can diagnose a fractured cusp from a picture my patient may text me, or diagnose apical periodontitis and call in an Rx for my patient, but ultimately to treat those things I'm in my office, with my patient working on them, I can't be say on vacation at the beach and my patient not in my office and actually provide the definitive treatment.

I will admit that with the pandemic shift in so many fields to a work from home model, I certainly have had some jealousy of my friends who don't have to be in their offices as much anymore, and often can be working while they're off say skiing with their familes or at the beach with them. I can't do that. That freedom to work from whereever is likely going to cause some folks considering the dental field to rethink their plans, and that doesn't have anything to do with the loan debt issue or the work ethic issues that will also enter into things, or heck even the issue I am having at my offive today, which is the state Dept of Transporation is repaving the state highway that my office is located on right now, and it's a traffic debacle for my staff and patients to physically get into my office parking lot right now! Going to be an interesting day for sure!

Med schools have actually made pretty good strides in terms of offering significant merit aid. After NYU went tuition free, the floodgates kind of opened. Even the lower mid tier that I will be attending, without the endowment of higher ranked schools, gave me full tuition. I think it’s becoming increasingly common so med schools can draw people in who may have been reluctant to pay
That’s the reward for their hard work in college. Getting accepted to med schools is extremely hard, especially if you are an asian male. Having good GPA and MCAT scores is not enough. In other words, being book smart is not enough......it's enough for dental schools but not for med schools. You have to do research and do other extracurricular activities, which require a lot of time and effort. I hope my son gets accepted to med school so I won’t have pay a lot in tuitions. LOL.

It’s still a lot of money for attending med schools. The average debt for med schools is around $200k (more for attending private med schools), which is nothing in comparison to dental school loans. But I know plenty of physicians who owe more than $300k in student loan….like this one here:

or here:

Last edited:
Dentistry and its appeal to future dentists is going be at a bit of a crossroads for sure, especially when compared to other professions where the out of the office, work from anywhere concept gives more freedom for those in those fields. The reality is that dentistry, the overwhelming vast majority of the time is a profession where one HAS to be in the office with our patients in our offices to get the work done. I mean I can diagnose a fractured cusp from a picture my patient may text me, or diagnose apical periodontitis and call in an Rx for my patient, but ultimately to treat those things I'm in my office, with my patient working on them, I can't be say on vacation at the beach and my patient not in my office and actually provide the definitive treatment.

I will admit that with the pandemic shift in so many fields to a work from home model, I certainly have had some jealousy of my friends who don't have to be in their offices as much anymore, and often can be working while they're off say skiing with their familes or at the beach with them. I can't do that. That freedom to work from whereever is likely going to cause some folks considering the dental field to rethink their plans, and that doesn't have anything to do with the loan debt issue or the work ethic issues that will also enter into things, or heck even the issue I am having at my offive today, which is the state Dept of Transporation is repaving the state highway that my office is located on right now, and it's a traffic debacle for my staff and patients to physically get into my office parking lot right now! Going to be an interesting day for sure!
In exchange for this “inconvenience” of having to be physically present in the office, we, dentists, get paid a lot more than many of the folks who work at home. IMO, this is a good thing. Doctor patient relationship is very important in dentistry. This is why private dental practices continue to thrive and will never be completely taken over by big corp offices like what you see in pharmacy and optometry.

Dr. Jeff, it’s good that you have a partner. I am a solo practitioner. If I want to take vacation, I have to plan at least 2 months ahead. At least we, dentists, don’t have to come in at odd hours like the doctors. We don’t have to be on call. We don’t have to bring work home.

I actually enjoy going to work. It’s good to be away from home sometimes. I don’t have to do work around the house. I don’t have to pick up the kids from schools. Ever since my son got his own car, my wife and I have much more time for ourselves. A lot of times, I feel like I work harder when I am at home.

Last edited:
That’s the reward for their hard work in college. Getting accepted to med schools is extremely hard, especially if you are an asian male. Having good GPA and MCAT scores are not enough. In other words, being book smart is not enough......it's enough for dental schools but not for med schools. You have to do research and do other extracurricular activities, which require a lot of time and effort. I hope my son gets accepted to med school so I won’t have pay a lot in tuitions. LOL.

It’s still a lot of money for attending med schools. The average debt for med schools is around $200k (more for attending private med schools), which is nothing in comparison to dental school loans. But I know plenty of physicians who owe more than $300k in student loan….like this one here:

or here:

Omg, going $350k in debt and only going to work part time. . . . . .Painful to listen to.

Because they never worked a real job that requires them to consider real responsibilities..
Imagine going through all of this graduate education to then just work part time. In my opinion that's just a disservice to patients. Someone who is willing to work full time for their community could have been in their spot.

Because they never worked a real job that requires them to consider real responsibilities..
No, the money just feels fake. This system is so insane our government loans any amount out to any 18 year old for any degree. Moreover, our government just gave 40 billion dollars for the Ukraine when people here could desperately use that money and continues to print money like nothing. It's really really hard to take the system seriously at this point.

Imagine going through all of this graduate education to then just work part time. In my opinion that's just a disservice to patients. Someone who is willing to work full time for their community could have been in their spot.
I agree. I think too often dentistry attracts a type of individual who is too interested in their own preferences. The mentors I've looked up to throughout my career have been the ones that go the extra mile and consider their patients. I'm not saying anyone should be forced to do anything, but I think it's a cultural problem in dentistry.

@fermi555 USD is real. It's a medium that we use to exchange goods and services. Yes, it's fiat. But debts and assets have real world implications even if some people cannot keep up with the abstractions from commodities, goods, and services.

Last edited:
Why do young people think this is possible?
I guess they think that making $120k/year (by working part time) is a lot of money because they used to live on a budget of less than $30-40k/year when they were in med/dental schools. When they were kids, their parents only made half as much ($50-60k a year) and they were able to live comfortably. What these young people don’t realize is their parents didn’t have any student loans to pay back. And everything was much cheaper 15-20 years ago.

Hopepfully, when these young people realize that they’ll need a lot more than $120k/year to survive, they’ll change their mind by adding more work days. When they realize that as their kids get older, they’ll need a bigger budget (for things like braces, music lessons, sport lessons, sport gears, vacations, a car + car insurance etc), they don’t have any other choices…they have to start working full time. All parents want to give their kids a better lifestyle than when they grew up. The good thing is they are still young. If they are only in their mid to late 30s, they should have plenty of time to work harder to raise the income and to fix their earlier mistakes. Another good thing is doctors and dentists are paid very well. It shouldn’t take long for them to fix the mistakes.

The mistake I made as a new grad was I spent a lot. I thought my initial salary, which was approx 10x more than what my parents used to make, was a lot; therefore, I went out and bought a lot of nice expensive things for myself …including a 5400 sf house. The 2008 housing bubble/ recession was a big wakeup call for me. I had an upside down mortage. I was 36-37 at that time. I started writing down all the spending expenses and started paying down debts aggressively. At 49, I was 100% debt free. I am 50 now. To add another source of passive income for my future retirement, I sold the 5400sf house and downgraded to a 3960 sf house....and used the profit to purchase another rental property.

Last edited:
The mistake I made as a new grad was I spent a lot. I thought my initial salary, which was approx 10x more than what my parents used to make, was a lot; therefore, I went out and bought a lot of nice expensive things for myself …including a 5400 sf house. The 2008 housing bubble/ recession was a big wakeup call for me. I had an upside down mortage. I was 36-37 at that time. I started writing down all the spending expenses and started paying down debts aggressively. At 49, I was 100% debt free. I am 50 now. To add another source of passive income for my future retirement, I sold the 5400sf house and downgraded to a 3960 sf house....and used the profit to purchase another rental property.
That’s a great insight story. I used the read a lot of SDN and dental town posts while I was in DS and learnt a lot from other people’s experiences when financial crisis hit the economy.

The 2008 recession happened when I was D3 in school. So as a student I didn’t have anything to lose (no retirement account, no home, no car, no liquid assets, etc), but I did pay attention how everything imploded in the economy. I remember reading a lot of books and financial news articles when everyone in my class was planning and applying for residency. If it wasn’t for the recession, I would probably do what most new grads (and Charles) did right after DS - buy expensive stuff. I did eventually buy expensive stuff many years later, through a delayed gratification.

When I graduated in 2010, the recession has peaked and everything was relatively cheap compared to pre-2008. So right out of the gates, I opened my first dental office within 6 months of graduating from DS. I spent less than $100k to build a practice from scratch, the landlord chipped in another 100k for tenant improvements. I still think that was one of the best financial decisions in my life. I knew getting into private practice ownership early was key to my long term goals. It also allowed me to ramp up my plans to own more practices during a prolonged economic downturn. Eventually, I bought my practices landlords out and got into the commercial real estate business. At the time, I recall many friends and dentists thinking I was crazy. Today, the same friends and dentists tell me those decisions were great.

When the last brief covid recession happened in 2020, the government was paying more stimulus to people who owned businesses. Since I have many businesses, the stimulus money was a large multiple what most people got. It was not something I expected or planned on it getting it. However, it was another once-in-a-life-time opportunity. So I decided to enter the logistics industry, which was (and still is) a post-covid economy key business. I sold all my dental offices except one. The buyer dentists are all tenants at my buildings with long term leases.

At age 43 today, I still think luck + preparation + opportunity = the best outcome in anything in life. My preparation to become a dentist disciplined me through a rigorous DS schedule and life. I was always on my toes for lack of better words. I was lucky because I was in the right place at the right time when economic recessions happened. Luckily for me, I still had “work hard” mindset and had my roller skates on to plan for bigger goals. Opportunities are rare, but they usually come quickly, and if we are prepared, they can make a big financial impact in our lives. Time is the essence in most things we do (and have) in life. Don’t take anything for granted. The next economic storm may blow it all away.

Reactions: 3 users
@fermi555 USD is real. It's a medium that we use to exchange goods and services. Yes, it's fiat. But debts and assets have real world implications even if some people cannot keep up with the abstractions from commodities, goods, and services.
Yes, I completely agree, hence why I'm always steering pre-dents away from expensive dental schools. I'm just saying it psychologically feels fake and meaningless today, especially when people can use programs like PAYE or IBR and pay the minimum each month. Add this how our government just prints money and hands out money like it's nothing, it makes it hard for some to take it seriously in the short term. I actually overheard someone with 6 figure undergrad debt saying they weren't going to pay off their loans because they just figured it'd be forgiven eventually. Unless forgiving loans somehow enriches Raytheon, I don't see that happening.

Student loan forgiveness will probably not come as a monolithic piece. The government is carving out the debt in stages; all the people who qualified for public service debt, the disabled, people who went to predatory institutions who mislead students that didn’t end up getting jobs in the industries they went to school for, student loan servicers who didn’t follow policies for borrowers that were harmed by those policies, etc. The government will shy away from a blanket amnesty. So they will dissect the student loans and look for reasons to forgive one group at a time. Remember, this will keep going until current POTUS and his administration are in office for the next 2-3 years. I’m sure the idea of forgiveness has lead to “it’s my turn soon” mindset for many borrowers, so it will only pressure the government to find more reasons to forgive until the majority qualifies for forgiveness. A lot of government lawyers are behind the scenes that will argue and make the case for borrowers’ behalf to qualify for forgiveness without getting a lot of congressional, public and media attention. I don’t see a counter case force that’s challenging that, yet.

Student loan forgiveness will probably not come as a monolithic piece. The government is carving out the debt in stages; all the people who qualified for public service debt, the disabled, people who went to predatory institutions who mislead students that didn’t end up getting jobs in the industries they went to school for, student loan servicers who didn’t follow policies for borrowers that were harmed by those policies, etc. The government will shy away from a blanket amnesty. So they will dissect the student loans and look for reasons to forgive one group at a time. Remember, this will keep going until current POTUS and his administration are in office for the next 2-3 years. I’m sure the idea of forgiveness has lead to “it’s my turn soon” mindset for many borrowers, so it will only pressure the government to find more reasons to forgive until the majority qualifies for forgiveness. A lot of government lawyers are behind the scenes that will argue and make the case for borrowers’ behalf to qualify for forgiveness without getting a lot of congressional, public and media attention. I don’t see a counter case force that’s challenging that, yet.
Loan forgiveness also becomes meaningless if the systems stay in place that allow people to go into 6 figure debt in the first place. If anything, it incentivizes schools to raise prices more as students will just assume loans will be forgiven.

Loan forgiveness also becomes meaningless if the systems stay in place that allow people to go into 6 figure debt in the first place. If anything, it incentivizes schools to raise prices more as students will just assume loans will be forgiven.
Agree 100%, but again ...... what is the solution? More bailouts? More printed/borrowed money? Seems like history keeps repeating itself.
Wash -> Rinse -> Repeat.

It's quite complicated. Even the "cheaper dental schools" are in the mid 300K. Right?
Maybe all the money ear-marked for student loan forgiveness should be given to STATE dental schools so that those STATE schools would be required to keep their tuition within a reasonable amount. Those that attend the PRIVATES costing 500K> are on their own. Will that discriminate against "less privileged" applicants? Possibly. But isn't the goal of a professional organization is to pick applicants that have strong stats and will collectively make that organization stronger? If anyone can pay to become a dentist. What does that say about the dentist profession?

The answer lies with the STATE PUBLIC dental schools. Empower them. Develop some community programs where new dentists are obligated to work in a rural area for a year. This obligation is payment for attending a cheaper school with gov't (local, state and federal) subsidies.

If expensive State schools do not want to play (USC, NYU) then they are on their own and so are their graduates. Same for the privates.

A line will eventually be drawn in the sand. It will depend on who will be in the Oval Office to fix the $2T broken student loans system. In the meantime, the status quo will continue and schools will get blank checks from their students. The government and by extension the tax payers will take the burden. Just like everything else that’s broken in our country; social security, Medicaid, Medicare, Fair Income Taxes, corporate oversight, foreign policies, etc. The tax payers will pay all the bills from failed government policies.

A line will eventually be drawn in the sand. It will depend on who will be in the Oval Office to fix the $2T broken student loans system. In the meantime, the status quo will continue and schools will get blank checks from their students. The government and by extension the tax payers will take the burden. Just like everything else that’s broken in our country; social security, Medicaid, Medicare, Fair Income Taxes, corporate oversight, foreign policies, etc. The tax payers will pay all the bills from failed government policies.

I sincerely hope that some of what has happened over the last 2+ years of this COVID era will get more people to realize that often the government ISN'T, or more likely SHOULDN'T be there to help you with your best interests in mind all the time, and understand that many of the "problems" that people have, and often look to the government for "solutions" (often $$) for, were caused by previous attempts at "solutions" for past problems that the government also created. And that more than likely any current attempts to find "solutions" will result in more future problems. More folks just simply need to understand that they are indeed capable of taking care of their own "problems" on their own, and don't need to government there for more and more of their day to day lives, as ultimately that is likely going to end up with more and more problems facing them.

Last edited:
I sinerely hope that some of what has happened over the last 2+ years of this COVID era will get more people to realize that often the government ISN'T, or more likely SHOULDN'T be there to help you with your best interests in mind all the time, and understand that many of the "problems" that people have, and often look to the government for "solutions" (often $$) for, were caused by previous attempts at "solutions" for past problems that the government also created. And that more than likely any current attempts to find "solutions" will result in more future problems. More folks just simply need to understand that they are indeed capable of taking care of their own "problems" on their own, and don't need to government there for more and more of their day to day lives, as ultimately that is likely going to end up with more and more problems facing them.
If anything, it feels like our government is purposefully trying to hurt us and make us dependent on them.

If anything, it feels like our government is purposefully trying to hurt us and make us dependent on them.
Congress almost refuses to make the tough decisions that they are supposed to which is why for decades now policy and law has been dictated through executive branch policy and case law, meanwhile congress primarily pushes through useless feel good laws and giant omnibus bills written by special interest.

The government is getting weaker due to a deeply divided Congress and by extension the country. The 3 branches has essentially become a party based systems. So it will be harder and harder to get things done, and any campaign promise from future leaders will fall short at arrival. It’s not so much about the government trying to hurt us, but the government literally can’t walk a straight line anymore on most national issues without making a large group of the American public discontent. Bottom line, the more disagreed we get as a nation, the more dysfunctional the government gets. You may recall our 45th POTUS signed bunch of executive orders in front of the media cameras to make himself look good for his base. I mean… that and having PMS moments on Twitter every other day during his term. The next thing you know… he didn’t want to leave office after losing a certified election. I mean… what does that tell you about the state of the country? And that election was almost 50/50 lol.

We are capable of great things as a nation, but we can also elect wild leaders that can burn everything we worked so hard for so many generations to the ground like the Jan 6th event. It’s sad times to accomplish things.

• Hmm
The government is getting weaker due to a deeply divided Congress and by extension the country. The 3 branches has essentially become a party based systems. So it will be harder and harder to get things done, and any campaign promise from future leaders will fall short at arrival. It’s not so much about the government trying to hurt us, but the government literally can’t walk a straight line anymore on most national issues without making a large group of the American public discontent. Bottom line, the more disagreed we get as a nation, the more dysfunctional the government gets. You may recall our 45th POTUS signed bunch of executive orders in front of the media cameras to make himself look good for his base. I mean… that and having PMS moments on Twitter every other day during his term. The next thing you know… he didn’t want to leave office after losing a certified election. I mean… what does that tell you about the state of the country? And that election was almost 50/50 lol.

We are capable of great things as a nation, but we can also elect wild leaders that can burn everything we worked so hard for so many generations to the ground like the Jan 6th event. It’s sad times to accomplish things.
Don’t forget the “summer of love”

It’s because the government tries to do too much. The government would function well if it focused on its legitimate functions instead of trying to sort out peoples life affairs.

I’d much rather have one party controlling the executive branch and the opposing party controlling the legislative branch. I’d rather live in a country that has a weak government. A strong government equals a weak nation. The government is supposed to be afraid of it's people and not the other way around. A do-nothing congress is better than an actively-do-harm congress. The president can bypass the congress by issuing executive orders. If people don’t like his actions, they will vote him out of the office on the next election. And the next president can undo all the previous administration’s orders.

Last edited:
I’d rather live in a country that has a weak government. A strong government equals a weak nation. The government is supposed to be afraid of it's people and not the other way around.
This.

When a government fears the people, you have liberty. When the people fear the government, you have tyranny.

Big Hoss

Even executive orders have become absurd. Presidents on both sides rule too often by dictatorial fiat these days

The mistake I made as a new grad was I spent a lot. I thought my initial salary, which was approx 10x more than what my parents used to make, was a lot; therefore, I went out and bought a lot of nice expensive things for myself …including a 5400 sf house.
When you graduated you were able to afford a 5,400 square foot house in southern california on an orthodontist salary??? Wow, times have changed. Today's new grad orthodontists would struggle to be able to afford a 1,400 square foot house in southern California..

When you graduated you were able to afford a 5,400 square foot house in southern california on an orthodontist salary??? Wow, times have changed. Today's new grad orthodontists would struggle to be able to afford a 1,400 square foot house in southern California..
No, my first house was only 2552 sf. I bought it for 400k in 2001. Two years later, when I got a significant raise in salary from my new job, I sold it and upgraded to a 4300sf house. Two years later, I sold this 2nd house and upgraded to 5400 sf house. Now, I live in a 3960sf house, which is only a mile from my former 5400sf house.

This.

When a government fears the people, you have liberty. When the people fear the government, you have tyranny.

Big Hoss
Idk man Somalia is a Libertarian's paradise but I'd rather live in authoritarian Russia than there.

Scalp psoriasis is a skin condition that affects the scalp. It is a type of psoriasis that causes patches of red, itchy skin. It can also cause a rash that appears on the scalp, as well as other parts of the body. Scalp psoriasis can be hard to treat because it often occurs on areas where hair follicles are close to the skin.

Scalp psoriasis is a skin condition that affects the scalp. It is a type of psoriasis that causes patches of red, itchy skin. It can also cause a rash that appears on the scalp, as well as other parts of the body. Scalp psoriasis can be hard to treat because it often occurs on areas where hair follicles are close to the skin.
8B7C275F-9766-4A0B-8453-A827FC1B3312.jpeg

Big Hoss

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 9 users
Scalp psoriasis is the inevitable conclusion of this thread

• Haha

Just like the student loans program crossed an event horizon after steering off from the intended original plan by the government.

I think the government will announce another extension this week for the covid student loan forbearances. Either that, or some level of forgiveness based on income. Most dentists will probably not qualify.

Scalp psoriasis is the inevitable conclusion of this thread
You may be on to something here. Having $750,000 in student loans from attending USC dental would give someone unbelievable stress. This toxic stress would alter one’s immune system. This altered immune system function could lead to a psoriatic response. Well played, @m1lesss.

Big Hoss

• Haha
You may be on to something here. Having $750,000 in student loans from attending USC dental would give someone unbelievable stress. This toxic stress would alter one’s immune system. This altered immune system function could lead to a psoriatic response. Well played, @m1lesss.

Big Hoss

There is a significant decline in dentist practice ownership over the past couple of decades at all age groups, while we’ve seen a significant increase in student loans for the same period. Making the case to pay off high student debt harder every year.

For instance…. Almost 70% of dentists under 35 owned a private practice in 2000. That figure is now down to about 30%. It’s even worse for people under 30, they dropped from near 50% of ownership to less that 10% in 2021. It’s already rare to see a dentist under age 30 to own practice today. Soon it will be rare to see a dentist owning a practice under age 40.

Imagine owning close to $1M+ in student loans (some dentists already do) in the near future and not owning your own practice that could’ve helped you earn 3-10x income than the average associate.

Dentistry money is slipping away from dentists, and is increasingly going to corporations.