Cost of malpractice insurance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KHep

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone give me an idea of malpractice insurance costs? I am currently in Illinois...if not completely saturated, I would stay here upon completion of my pod residency. Thanks! Just trying to be as informed as possible before sending in my app.

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone give me an idea of malpractice insurance costs? I am currently in Illinois...if not completely saturated, I would stay here upon completion of my pod residency. Thanks! Just trying to be as informed as possible before sending in my app.

In general, the surgical malpractice insurance cost for the first two years after residency are very low. The malpractice cost will go up after the first two years. The best thing to find out the rate is to talk to the currently practicing DPM in the area and find out what is the malpractice insurance cost.

In general, the surgical malpractice insurance cost for the first two years after residency are very low. The malpractice cost will go up after the first two years. The best thing to find out the rate is to talk to the currently practicing DPM in the area and find out what is the malpractice insurance cost.

Sir, i dont know if we are allowed to discuss this or not in on the forum, but i just want to get a rough idea. My aunt had some foot deformity (i dont exactly wat it was) but she underwent a surgery with a Pod. The total bill was $31000. I was kind of shocked bcoz so many people say we hardly make any money (in comparision to surgeon) but i mean 31000 for 1 patient. tats crazy. can u plzz give me a rough idea how much wud the pod get and how much wud the hospital take. iam just curious. and in general how much does a pod charges for a surgery. i know iam a very frequent vistor to salary and money issues, but hey iam putting 100K in a profession.

Members don't see this ad :)
100K is a drop in the bucket when you look long term and at the cost of any program. Look at how many people spend 40K on a masters for something like education...and they come out making only 40 or so. Just a thought. Maybe there is an overemphasis on the amount that school costs.

100K is a drop in the bucket when you look long term and at the cost of any program. Look at how many people spend 40K on a masters for something like education...and they come out making only 40 or so. Just a thought. Maybe there is an overemphasis on the amount that school costs.

Naah dude, long term is no big deal bcoz iam gonna do what i like. But the only fear is student loans. 100k loan means i gotta pay them back something 1200 for 10yrs. If iam making medium income with all loans getting paid, i will be very happy and thank god. bcoz i am doing something that i wanted to all life and getting paid for it.

Sir, i dont know if we are allowed to discuss this or not in on the forum, but i just want to get a rough idea. My aunt had some foot deformity (i dont exactly wat it was) but she underwent a surgery with a Pod. The total bill was $31000. I was kind of shocked bcoz so many people say we hardly make any money (in comparision to surgeon) but i mean 31000 for 1 patient. tats crazy. can u plzz give me a rough idea how much wud the pod get and how much wud the hospital take. iam just curious. and in general how much does a pod charges for a surgery. i know iam a very frequent vistor to salary and money issues, but hey iam putting 100K in a profession.

For the 31000 bill that your aunt got, it probably includes the hospital fee, anesthesia fee, and surgeon fee. However, it will be hard to determine how much of that fee will go to the surgeon because it depends on what procedure that the Podiatrist did on your aunt.

For the 31000 bill that your aunt got, it probably includes the hospital fee, anesthesia fee, and surgeon fee. However, it will be hard to determine how much of that fee will go to the surgeon because it depends on what procedure that the Podiatrist did on your aunt.

Sir, just give me a rough idea. u never said how much does a surgeon gets average on one surgery (minimum).

Sir, just give me a rough idea. u never said how much does a surgeon gets average on one surgery (minimum).

It is nearly impossible for me to give you a rough idea without knowing what procedures were done on your aunt. In regards to how much a surgeon gets on one surgery, it will DEPEND ON WHAT PROCEDURES ARE BEING DONE. In addition, the amount of money that a surgeon gets from insurance companies for the surgical procedure vary tremendously from one area to another. For example, one may get reimbursed $250 for a PIPJ arthroplasty (hammertoe correction) procedure in area A and only $175 in area B and $385 in area C. The only time that a surgeon gets the exact same reimbursement for the same procedure, regardless of location, would be when the surgeon is billing the procedure through Medicare, since it is a national program.

Can't you just ask your aunt about her bill? When I was in the hospital I got a bill that said every itty bitty thing they did and every little thing I got. Or go ask a podiatrist you shadowed.

I agree that the statement from the hospital is very detailed and should-again-should- say the "ittyy bitty" of the surgery. Thank you KHep for the comment on cost of school. My Pops went to school for 9 years gettng his master(includes working to get the rquired experience) in education and raised a family. He left with 40K loans and made 36K after until he went into administration. He is maxing at 75K. If you do what it is you want to do and you can meet the terms of your financial agreement then pay the doe and go. 10 years from now I'll be done with residency and doing what I want like Cool or I can say it is to much and not do it and be kicking myself in the tail. good luck to all.

procedures vary and reimbursments vary also - the "take home" amount is not constant because there are many circumstances and factors to be considered. However, it is a safe bet to say that the DPM didn't do this surgery for free! If you feel this information is extremely important to your decision then by all means ask that podiatrist how much he took back or check the hospital bill.