Could anybody help me get Research Opportunities in NYC please?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DansStudentDocRole

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a guy in New York that is trying to get research experience to strengthen my chances to get into medical school. I have an associates degree, hospital experience, patient care experience, am currently a student at Lehman College and want to get some research experience. Could anybody help me find any opportunities in the Bronx (or NY) that isn't long please? I work full time as well. My schedule is not the best for research internships but I want to try. Let me know please. Thanks a bunch guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Research isn't crucial for DO schools I believe. And you don't want it to be long? So you just want to put it on your resume/applications ha?
Yes, I have ECs on my applications that I only did a few hours too. I wish I had done it longer but I realized too much at one time isn't a good thing.
IMO, you need to do the research for at least several months to understand the concept and ~1 year to actually have things make sense.
That being said, if your other areas are good, research isn't that important.
THAT being said, ask your friends at your college, go on some website and start calling/emailing, or talk to your professors.
Not trying to be a jerk or anything. Better to keep doing well in other area with the time that you have.

It's going to be tough to manage classes, a full-time job, and research. How long of a commitment would you want to have? You're looking at a year to get something meaningful from a basic science project and you don't yet have the experience for clinical projects.

There are a ton of opportunities in the NYC area though. Does CUNY or Hunter not have any opportunities? I'm not very familiar with their system but it seems like that would be the best bet. Try in-house networking first.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's going to be tough to manage classes, a full-time job, and research. How long of a commitment would you want to have? You're looking at a year to get something meaningful from a basic science project and you don't yet have the experience for clinical projects.

There are a ton of opportunities in the NYC area though. Does CUNY or Hunter not have any opportunities? I'm not very familiar with their system but it seems like that would be the best bet. Try in-house networking first.

Try to live in peace with everyone. And try to keep your lives free from sin. Anyone whose life is not holy will never see the Lord. (‭Hebrews‬ ‭12‬:‭14‬ ERV)

CUNY has some research opportunities listed on their websites. I haven't checked completely and in depth yet. It seems like it has a waiting period. Asking professors is one of the easiest ways. I want to know if there's any other ways. Thanks to those that replied.

Try to live in peace with everyone. And try to keep your lives free from sin. Anyone whose life is not holy will never see the Lord. (‭Hebrews‬ ‭12‬:‭14‬ ERV)

huh? to each their own, but seems very out of place on this particular forum.

CUNY has some research opportunities listed on their websites. I haven't checked completely and in depth yet. It seems like it has a waiting period. Asking professors is one of the easiest ways. I want to know if there's any other ways. Thanks to those that replied.

Try and ask those same professors to see if they know another researcher looking for a research volunteer. This helped me, but I did not have the expertise the two researchers that gave me an interview were looking for. I would still suggest this route though.

Try and ask those same professors to see if they know another researcher looking for a research volunteer. This helped me, but I did not have the expertise the two researchers that gave me an interview were looking for. I would still suggest this route though.

This is actually how I got my 3 opportunities (2 for credit; 1 paid).

1) Molecular Genetics class went to a very, very prestigious lab, CSHL (where Watson and Crick did research; for credit)
2) Social Science research by my introductory course professor (for credit)
3) A-student in biology course led to me asking my professor to bring me into her cancer lab (paid intern)

Ask your professors. The CUNY system is a gold mine if you know the inner workings.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, you're right. Thanks.

This is actually how I got my 3 opportunities (2 for credit; 1 paid).

1) Molecular Genetics class went to a very, very prestigious lab, CSHL (where Watson and Crick did research; for credit)
2) Social Science research by my introductory course professor (for credit)
3) A-student in biology course led to me asking my professor to bring me into her cancer lab (paid intern)

Ask your professors. The CUNY system is a gold mine if you know the inner workings.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile
hey these are valuable answers, I am not a student in the CUNY system but I was wondering if these same professors would allow for an outside student to volunteer on their research projects?

hey these are valuable answers, I am not a student in the CUNY system but I was wondering if these same professors would allow for an outside student to volunteer on their research projects?

You can try and ask. If they can't take you on as a student, they can help hook you up with another researcher. This works a lot better than straight emailing researchers.

Reactions: 1 user
Yea. Exactly like @IslandStyle808 said. It's just like medicine. Don't know the answer? Refer to a colleague.

Academics are always inviting students with a plan. They were there once so they'd gladly bring you on the team or ask around a bit for you.

Good luck

Reactions: 1 user