Could I use this high school experience for either the Challenge prompt or Failure/Feedback prompt?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BootPear

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I volunteered in a research lab during the summer of 2015, which was the summer before my senior year of high school. I initially came into the lab wanting to produce a project that I can use in the Intel Science Fair. On the first day, the PI introduced me to everyone in the lab and to the postdoc that I would work with. That day as I was leaving, I stopped by the PI's office to say goodbye to him. I didn't realize that he was asleep on his chair, so he abruptly woke up and blurted out goodbye in return. Because of my immaturity back then and because of that incident, I spent the whole summer not going to his office and rarely checked in with him when he was out of his office. I spent the whole time working alongside the postdoc by using a machine that would report out the number of cells in a dish, so I thought I was involved in an actual project.

On the last day in the lab, the PI came out to talk to me and I showed him my cell count reports and the protocols I was following. I let him know that I would be using the data that I obtained to work on the paper that I would submit to the Science Fair. He looked at the documents that I had with a shocked face and I was devastated when he said that what I was doing with the postdoc was an extremely simple procedure. I believe that the steps that the postdoc had me do were the first few setup steps of the main procedure. In spite of this, I still worked on writing a paper with what I had, in which I talked about the materials, methods, and cell count results. My last step was to get a recommendation letter from the PI. When I sent him an email requesting the rec, he replied back saying that he had no idea what I had done during the summer. I suggested that he speak with the postdoc that I worked with but she also said that she wasn't sure. I remember getting so upset that the postdoc couldn't explain what I did as I was working right next to her, but I understood that a large part of it had to do with the fact that I didn't check in with the PI. I ended up not getting a recommendation letter, which prevented me from submitting my paper into the science fair. He let me know that he wasn't able to write a sincere recommendation letter since he had very little direct contact with me when I was working.

I've moved on from this lab into a new lab that I volunteered for 2 summers already and am now a full-time research technician. I've learned from this experience to always ask questions until I understand the procedures and science that I'm involved in and to always spend time speaking with the PIs. I've spoken to my PI multiple times about the work that I did in the past week and to ask him about complicated procedures. I've also applied what I learned in college, as I've met with Professors in office hours to discuss about lectures and assignments that I didn't understand.

Can I use this experience to answer the Challenge prompt or Failure/Feedback prompt? Also, should I use this if it occurred in the summer between my 3rd and 4th year of high school?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
While it is okay to think about your life experiences and brainstorm events and situations that may fit the common prompts for secondaries, you should answer each question with an essay that is responsive to the specific prompt. If the essay is about coping skills, then what you've told us doesn't seem like a good fit with that prompt. Furthrmore, some people will be hesitant to use examples from childhood but will focus instead on experiences from adulthood (as short as that has been up to this point for you).

This story does show the ability to reflect on past actions, learn from them, and bounce back from disappointment to be successful in a subsequent attempt. Overall, not a bad story if the prompt is related to those attributes. You could always leave out the part about how old you were when the first lab experience happened to short-circuit those who would discount the experience because you were so young.

While it is okay to think about your life experiences and brainstorm events and situations that may fit the common prompts for secondaries, you should answer each question with an essay that is responsive to the specific prompt. If the essay is about coping skills, then what you've told us doesn't seem like a good fit with that prompt. Furthrmore, some people will be hesitant to use examples from childhood but will focus instead on experiences from adulthood (as short as that has been up to this point for you).

This story does show the ability to reflect on past actions, learn from them, and bounce back from disappointment to be successful in a subsequent attempt. Overall, not a bad story if the prompt is related to those attributes. You could always leave out the part about how old you were when the first lab experience happened to short-circuit those who would discount the experience because you were so young.
Thank you so much for your comments!

Do you think I could apply this experience to these two prompts:
  • What is the toughest feedback you ever received? How did you handle it and what did you learn from it?
  • Please use this space to describe any challenge or obstacle you have faced prior to your application to medical school and how you addressed that challenge

Is this really the worst you've been through? You bombed a high school science fair?

People are going to write about dead parents and being a war refugee and having to go to work at 12 to provide for their family in the 2nd one.

Is this really the worst you've been through? You bombed a high school science fair?

People are going to write about dead parents and being a war refugee and having to go to work at 12 to provide for their family in the 2nd one.
I already mention a much bigger issue that I've dealt with in my adversity prompt. This experience was what I thought of that could apply to the challenge or failure/feedback prompt.

This is not a contest with the prize going to the biggest hard luck story. The point is to reflect on a failure or adversity or diappointment and what was learned or how one changed for the better.

Reactions: 6 users