Could this possibly constitute research experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Icy14

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm fairly certain it's a "no," but I thought I'd at least double-check.

I had a summer internship at the state department of health laboratory, where myself and two other interns were responsible for overseeing mosquito and tick surveillance programs. Duties included processing, counting, and speciating weekly populations and keeping detailed records. Then, we did DNA extraction, PCR, analyzed the data, and helped compose an end-of-season report, which was published and included my name as a contributor.

Obviously it's not peer-reviewed or anything like that and I won't list it as research experience anywhere, but if I'm applying for a job and they ask if I have any research experience, can I at least describe this? I definitely gained skills and knowledge that would be relevant to an actual research position.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You gained bench research skills. You made systematic observations. They may be said to contribue to generalizable knowledge in that the observations of the samples examined were used to make generalizations about the population of ticks and mosquitos in the state. Systematic observations contributing to generalizable new knowledge is the definition of research.

Not all research is peer reviewed. A published government-issued report would be counted as a "publication" by my adcom.

Reactions: 2 users
You gained bench research skills. You made systematic observations. They may be said to contribue to generalizable knowledge in that the observations of the samples examined were used to make generalizations about the population of ticks and mosquitos in the state. Systematic observations contributing to generalizable new knowledge is the definition of research.

Not all research is peer reviewed. A published government-issued report would be counted as a "publication" by my adcom.

Good to know! So you're saying I can actually list this as a publication on AMCAS?

Members don't see this ad :)
Good to know! So you're saying I can actually list this as a publication on AMCAS?
I would. Particularly if it is available online for an adcom member to read. I love to read stuff like that and then ask about it in the interview.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I agree. It is a research experience regardless (and something you can count even on your applications for residency).

I had a summer internship at the state department of health laboratory, where myself and two other interns were responsible for overseeing mosquito and tick surveillance programs. Duties included processing, counting, and speciating weekly populations and keeping detailed records. Then, we did DNA extraction, PCR, analyzed the data, and helped compose an end-of-season report, which was published and included my name as a contributor.

Obviously it's not peer-reviewed or anything like that and I won't list it as research experience anywhere, but if I'm applying for a job and they ask if I have any research experience, can I at least describe this? I definitely gained skills and knowledge that would be relevant to an actual research position.
In addition to a job application, I think you'd be also be justified listing it under a Research/Lab designation on the AMCAS application, when that time comes.