Counseling PhD Programs- Clinical or Research Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paperaeroplane

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
After a lot of thinking, I have narrowed in on Counseling Phd programs. However, I was wondering what was more important to have when applying to Counseling PhD programs, clinical experience or research experience? I have some research experience under my belt, but I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestion on how to gain clinical experience?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in a Counseling Psych PhD program. Your options for part-time pre-Bachelor clinical work are a little limited; I'd say anything is good, anything face-to-face (i.e., not phone line) might look a little better.

But, really, as was communicated to me in a class by my adviser, everyone has clinical experience. It's real, solid research experience that sets applicants apart.

In general, I would say research, however some programs may be biased towards clinical experience. If it's a Ph.D. program, the general rule would be research.

Mark

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to add my two cents. I think gaining research experience should be your focus for getting into PhD programs. Clinical experience I wouldn't say is crucial only because most psych majors have clinical experience over research experience. I would say something like volunteering at a camp for kids with chronic illness, being a crisis hotliner, or mentoring high school students. Try those options, and on top of your research experience, you should be okay.

I would say the answer is "it depends." Sorry to be so vague.

Ph.D. programs in Counseling Psychology range from a 3 to a 7 on the Insider's Guide Clinical-Research scale. It depends on the specific program you decide to apply to. If you're applying to the West Virginia's or Colorado State's of the discipline you probably need the clinical experience. If you're tlaking Florida, or Wisconsin-Madison, RESEARCH.

I hope that helps....I'm not sure it does though.

Jon

Can you contact the programs you are interested in and see what they prefer applicants have more of?

In terms of getting clinical experience, there are residential counselor/rehab coordinator positions for people who have a BA in psychology, social work, sociology or a related field near me. There are also the crisis hotlines. Additionally, I would just contact places and see if they need a volunteer. I did that with 2 different locations and both said yes! Just explain that you are applying to grad schools and would like to receive more training in area X and would love to volunteer your time. Can they use your help and will they provide you with training? Hope you find something great!:D