Countdown to AOA Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chizledfrmstone

Enjoying the finer things in life
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It has been a long 4 years and the NMS Match Day is right around the corner.​

Good luck to everyone!

---

Post Match Results: 2018 AOA Match Results

Post Match Statistics: AOA Match Statistics

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Around what time will most schools post their results of the AOA match and ACGME match?

If you don't mind me asking, what're you going for?
IM, you?
(am aware that per SDN standards I should have skipped to the NRMP Match, but my top few programs are dual-accredited so for a variety of reasons this makes the most sense for me)
Around what time will most schools post their results of the AOA match and ACGME match?
Whenever they get around to it. Never seems to be much rhyme or reason to this one.

Reactions: 3 users
Goodluck to all of you!

Reactions: 1 users

The NRMP match doesn’t happen until March so not for a while. Then they have to gather all the data so it could be like June or July

Reactions: 1 user
IM, you?
(am aware that per SDN standards I should have skipped to the NRMP Match, but my top few programs are dual-accredited so for a variety of reasons this makes the most sense for me)

I was originally going for IM but ended up picking FM.

Less than 48 hrs left.

Good luck everyone

I don't know who's more neurotic right now, me or my wife. She's had a countdown app going for months. I'm trying not to autopsy every audition and interview.

I'm shooting for EM. Even have a couple ranked in the ACGME match.

Good Luck to everyone!!!

Also shooting for EM. Just want to know where I am headed since my rank list was all over the US.

Good Luck everyone!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Not doing the AOA match but good luck to everyone who is!

NRMP match should have been early as well. The wait is terrible. It's like waiting to get your CS/PE result all over again.

Last edited:
Good luck everyone. Get wasted for me while I'm stuck in the UFAP dungeon.

Reactions: 2 users
NRMP match should have been early as well. The wait is terrible. It's like waiting to get your CS/PE result all over again.
Yeah, we're lucky in that regard. Not going to lie, one of the reasons I went AOA was because I could find out and start planning the rest of our lives 6 weeks sooner. (Not high on the list of reasons I promise... but definitely a perk, especially when you have a spouse whose life gets changed with the result, too.)

hearing in march, but just wanted to drop in and wish yall much success!

Just took a nap and woke up from a nightmare that I hadn’t certified my rank list. Took another nap earlier in the day and had a nightmare that I didn’t match because I had accidentally hit withdraw instead of certify on rank list day.

Reactions: 5 users
Just took a nap and woke up from a nightmare that I hadn’t certified my rank list. Took another nap earlier in the day and had a nightmare that I didn’t match because I had accidentally hit withdraw instead of certify on rank list day.
I print out a copy of my certified NRMP ROL... This thing can make people go crazy.

One hasn't really lived as a doctor until you have nightmares about things you either 'accidentally did' or 'forgot to do.' Those are the worst, but when you wake up and it turns out to be fake, that's the best feeling.

I'm a TRI enjoying this for the second time. The weird thing is that this time, I have a fairly good idea what the outcome is going to be, and yet I'm still really nervous.
Yeah, we're lucky in that regard. Not going to lie, one of the reasons I went AOA was because I could find out and start planning the rest of our lives 6 weeks sooner. (Not high on the list of reasons I promise... but definitely a perk, especially when you have a spouse whose life gets changed with the result, too.)
Ditto. Also, I wanted to tell you that I've always really enjoyed your posts.

Good luck, everybody. We've got this.

I'm a TRI enjoying this for the second time. The weird thing is that this time, I have a fairly good idea what the outcome is going to be, and yet I'm still really nervous.

Ditto. Also, I wanted to tell you that I've always really enjoyed your posts.

Good luck, everybody. We've got this.

Aww, thanks! Good luck to you too.

I've had to recheck my list like 4 times since 1/19 to make sure it really did say "certified"...

Oddly enough my girlfriend is still more anxiety ridden than me about match day even thought shes a resident already lmao

Well...on to the NRMP, I guess.

Holy wow. I didn't Match. FM. I totally didn't expect that.

I'm not convinced that it isn't somehow an error. Like, I had programs promising me the moon. "What can we do to get you to rank us number 1?" I did everything right and then some. I was SURE I'd get my top pick, or at least something in my top 3.

I'm a little stunned and more than a little crazed at the moment, but not actually upset. I'm going to enjoy the adventure of rolling the dice and seeing where I land. But wow. This is why you stay humble. It can happen to someone with ridiculously good board scores and a strong over all application with a demonstrated commitment to the specialty. Wow.

Reactions: 7 users
Holy wow. I didn't Match. FM. I totally didn't expect that.

I'm not convinced that it isn't somehow an error. Like, I had programs promising me the moon. "What can we do to get you to rank us number 1?" I did everything right and then some. I was SURE I'd get my top pick, or at least something in my top 3.

I'm a little stunned and more than a little crazed at the moment, but not actually upset. I'm going to enjoy the adventure of rolling the dice and seeing where I land. But wow. This is why you stay humble. It can happen to someone with ridiculously good board scores and a strong over all application with a demonstrated commitment to the specialty. Wow.
I'm really sorry. I feel pretty blindsided today too, no red flags and above average scores and letters. This is such a draining process and it feels terrible when the supposed big payoff at the end is just a brick to the face.

Are the results posted anywhere? In terms of total matched and vacancies etc.

I got into my third choice. No ties to the area, barely knew about the hospital, spent very little time showing interest. It’s still a good program but farther away from home than I was comfortable with.

My top 2 are in less desirable areas. I knew graduates from both programs and had strong connections to the area. I thought there was a 90% chance I would match to either one of them. Maybe the things I thought were important weren’t important at all.

I had the exact same thought. Had a couple friends virtually yell at me when I joked about it. I did have 2 classmates that I know of get derm though, which is pretty cool.

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile
What are you going for? ACGME or AOA?

Can someone who has access take a screenshot and post each of the unfilled programs on here? Would be much appreciated!!!

The one where you can access that shows the program, residency type, and how many slots are still open

Can someone who has access take a screenshot and post each of the unfilled programs on here? Would be much appreciated!!!

The one where you can access that shows the program, residency type, and how many slots are still open

This would be very much appreciated! especially since so many programs are doing both matches. Id love to see how many remaining ACGME spots are open

Why are there unfilled Ortho spots...

Why are there unfilled Ortho spots...

Not only that.. 2 unfilled ortho, 2 unfilled derm, and 2 unfilled ENT..... and of the derm and ENT spots apparently one of each of those were at programs that already have initial ACGME accreditation.

It looks like people bailed on the AOA match en masse

Why is the AOA match going away?!!! :'(((( I wish even though the merger is happening, they kept the AOA match first for us DO's.

Also no Ortho spots were open that were not dually accredited. I'd feel VERY uneasy about entering a non-pcp program that's not dually accredited at this point (mostly due to the fact that the residency is going to last longer than 2020 and if they don't get accreditation you're screwed I believe.)

Could have gone worse, but all I can say is I'm glad my school doesn't have an official ceremony because this would be me
vIf0lAD.gif

pretending to be as excited as the people that matched their first choice.

Congrats to all!!

Reactions: 4 users
Didn't sleep much last night. Woke up at 0700 and saw the email. Utterly couldn't believe it. The Dean couldn't believe it, Rotations department couldn't believe it, none of my friends could believe it, even the residents at my #1 that I was friends with couldn't believe it. I was the sure thing to match at the local EM program. Solid scores, good SLOE's, good auditions, good rotation grades. Spent a couple of hours in damn near a fugue state driving aimlessly around.

Like @Promethean above, I was sure there was some kind of mistake. Hell, I pinched myself about a dozen times to make sure I wasn't dreaming. I literally got beat by one who changed to EM at the last minute and another that failed COMLEX-1 the first time. The only thing that could have happened was I never worked with the new program director. Even tried, got the "oh, don't feel you need to, you already spent a month here, I've heard good things about you"

So, now. Time to lick my wounds, hope for one of the 2 EM scramble spots I've put in for, and wait for the NRMP match next month. If I double-tap that one, I'll either go to my original FM Backup, or TRI at my first AOA or ACGME choice, take the USMLE, kick ass, and repeat this next year.

Last edited:
Why is the AOA match going away?!!! :'(((( I wish even though the merger is happening, they kept the AOA match first for us DO's.

Also no Ortho spots were open that were not dually accredited. I'd feel VERY uneasy about entering a non-pcp program that's not dually accredited at this point (mostly due to the fact that the residency is going to last longer than 2020 and if they don't get accreditation you're screwed I believe.)

No, if you’re in a program that won’t make the cut you will still be allowed to graduate. You will just be boarded by the AOA. No resident won’t be allowed to finish.

Why in the world would you want this??? That's the biggest advantage of the merger is no more playing risk-averse due to the order of the matches. People can reach for the stars more now.

Not only that.. 2 unfilled ortho, 2 unfilled derm, and 2 unfilled ENT..... and of the derm and ENT spots apparently one of each of those were at programs that already have initial ACGME accreditation.

It looks like people bailed on the AOA match en masse

They could be for the ACGME match and just reported as unfilled.

For EM at Lehigh valley I know for a fact they have those 4 unfilled spots for the ACGME match but its posted on the AOA website as unfilled.

They could be for the ACGME match and just reported as unfilled.

For EM at Lehigh valley I know for a fact they have those 4 unfilled spots for the ACGME match but its posted on the AOA website as unfilled.

Yeah that's my bet. Those programs are likely participating in both matches and saved spots for ACGME only, but this was reported as "unfilled spots" by the AOA. I'd have a hard time believing that Ortho, EM, derm, etc all had unmatched spots given the competitiveness of those specialties.

Why in the world would you want this??? That's the biggest advantage of the merger is no more playing risk-averse due to the order of the matches. People can reach for the stars more now.

That’s true... I just like the notion though that these are DO residencies. When it comes to the match, if you didn’t match AOA you have time to scramble out of all of these spots. (Look at the number of FM and IM spots). But when the merger happens, all of these spots will be instantly filled with IMG’s. But right now the way it’s setup, they go through AOA match first, then whatever spots are left go into the NRMP match for those unfilled.