Countdown to Duke 2005!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
dopaminophile said:
My bet is that someone gets a phone call at 4PM eastern on 2/28.

Good luck!

Lol, come 4 o'clock I'll be ready with a bottle of champagne in one hand and a bottle of scotch in the other........goodluck everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

So... if I read the times from last year right then the earliest we could expect a phone call would be tuesday afternoon, correct? If so that's a nasty extra 24 hours (especially since we don't really know what it means if we don't get a call...)

brothersboff said:
So... if I read the times from last year right then the earliest we could expect a phone call would be tuesday afternoon, correct? If so that's a nasty extra 24 hours (especially since we don't really know what it means if we don't get a call...)
I dunno... I guessed that they didn't call last year on the day that they sent letters because it was a Friday. Really, it's all speculation. I haven't the foggiest!

Members don't see this ad :)
dum... da dum dum... duuuummmm! Our fates, hopefully, are sealed and in the mail--floating through the Durham sorting machines. Good luck everyone!

lol...ya;ll are crazy....absotively..posulutely crazy...and so am i...ho hum...trying not to bite my nails..this next coupla weeks is going to be crazy...i'm praying for all of our collective sanities!! :D

~L

I know they are sending letters snail mail, but on the site it also says "make sure you have your email updated." Anyone getting emails of any sort??

nothing yet... SSSOOO nervous

i{m tempted to call the admissions office and ask them if i got accepted or not. i figure maybe i have an excuse since i{m abroad right now. maybe.

nah, i{ll just wait until my phone call. i at least updated my telephone number on the dukemed site.

:telepathy: call me duke, call me. llamame ahora mismo. :telepathy:

flaming_gypsy said:
i{m tempted to call the admissions office and ask them if i got accepted or not. i figure maybe i have an excuse since i{m abroad right now. maybe.

nah, i{ll just wait until my phone call. i at least updated my telephone number on the dukemed site.

:telepathy: call me duke, call me. llamame ahora mismo. :telepathy:

but you have a good excuse! if you call, let us know if they actually tell you :D so we can all bombard them with calls :laugh:

This is going to be a long... looooooong... week.

All I can say is if ANYONE finds out ANYTHING please post immediately!
I promise we'll still be nice to you...

I found this on the webiste...

My Application Status for
02/28/2005 12:38 PM.
Application process complete!
Thank you for completing your interview. Your application is complete and is awaiting final decision by the Committee on Admissions. Please be advised the Duke University School of Medicine does not post any decisions regarding the disposition of your completed application to the interactive web site. You will be notified in writing with a letter bearing the signatures of the Dean of Admissions and the Dean of the Duke University School of Medicine. This will be the only "official" method of notification regarding the decision of the Committee on Admissions. To insure your privacy and the integrity of the admission process, no decisions will be discussed via telephone or transmitted via e-mail at any time or under any circumstance. We have scheduled decision letters to be mailed on February 28, 2005 for applicants applying for admission to the 2005 entering class. Duke does not offer a "rolling admissions" process. We appreciate your interest in the Duke University School of Medicine and wish you the best of luck! Regards, Richard S. Wallace Associate Director of Admissions

but UCLA reject..that's been on the site for ages...we need new info!! any acceptances yet? :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Guys,

I didn't want to burst your bubbles, but calls will not be made today. Most of you will find out the decision via SNAIL MAIL (sent today).

I know its hard waiting, but trust me you all will know something soon. Good luck.

Mangogurl

RunMimi said:
I got some hints that they aren't going to do phone calls this year. An adcom member told me letters were in the mail this morning though. Good luck all.
Acceptances only in the mail this morning or all the acceptances/rejections/waitlists?

:confused: damn damn damn..guess there's no reason to rush home and check my voicemail then.. and are these being mailed regular mail? if so, i guess i prolly should'nt even expect anything before thursday..i'm in boston..

LRmed2003 said:
:confused: damn damn damn..guess there's no reason to rush home and check my voicemail then.. and are these being mailed regular mail? if so, i guess i prolly should'nt even expect anything before thursday..i'm in boston..

hey fellow bostonian! actually, mail travels pretty fast so if they were mailed today, i would say wednesday would be the latest (although with the snowstorm tonight i suppose there is a chance it could get held up).

i am trying to refrain from posting on these countdown threads since i think they make me feel more neurotic and antsy.....good luck everyone!!!

Why no calls this year when there were some last year? And an answer to that accept/reject/waitlist question would be golden. Thanks for what you learned thus far though!

Waiting for the other letters wasn't so bad since i had stuff to keep me busy. While waiting for this Duke letter i've been basically a bum for the past 2 weeks due to some broken bones. It is honestly killikng me. I really need something to take my mind off it.....this website is worse than smack. Sorry if i got peoples hopes up with a notification...but it looks like we'll all be waitin a few days.

so no phone calls this year? from reading the northwestern thread, it seems like RunMimi got in :confused: . any other dukies get the good news :)

i also just remembered today that i never sent thank you letters to my 2 interviewers at duke. this doesn't help my neurotic state right now one bit :p

RunMimi??? Is this true? tell us!!!!! eek! If so... congrats and how did you hear?

Cool deal... thanks and congrats!

Hey, Mimi, could you ask if they let any barn animals in??? Thanks a bunch.

RunMimi said:
Eeek. Okay, so I didn't post here, because I didn't want to get everyone nervous. I work at Duke and a member of the adcom knew I was really hoping for it, so they came and told me that I got in this morning. I didn't tell y'all, because it was a special circumstance. I hope you guys find out good news soon!

At the Oscars, Hilary Swank was wearing an amazing gown from the house of Guy Laroche. She went on to win an Oscar. I wonder what that means...

Wow!!! Awesome news! Congratulations on the acceptance and go Blue Devils!

kikkoman said:
Acceptances only in the mail this morning or all the acceptances/rejections/waitlists?

I don't know about this year specifically but in the past they've sent letters out in batches. I think there were three or so rounds of acceptance letters sent out my year. Granted that was the year of AMCAS hell when it went on-line for the first time, so things were quite delayed for many schools, but I don't think Duke was all that affected. Still, I didn't receive my waitlist letter until mid-March! I remember how freakin' crazy I was going at this time just a few years ago...it's so awful, and then it's even worse if you're waitlisted and it's your first choice. :scared:

In any case, good luck everyone! Hopefully I'll see you all at second look weekend! :)

lol if i dont get a letter indicating something by around friday (i figure a letter from nc to fl should get here in about that time or less) im forgetting about it until further notice ;)

I wish I had your voluntary indifference! I can't stop thinking about where my letter, whatever fate it may contain, is... on a truck... in a sorting facility... in a batch yet to be sent...

I think that I'm so revved up about this one because Duke's the last school from which I need to hear. When I get this decision, regardless of what it actually is, I can make a final decision on where to go. MAN would I love that to be Duke, but just having some closure for this craptastic process would be spectacular. I think getting waitlisted might be worse than getting rejected for that reason. We'll see! I wonder if they'll call tomorrow.......

haha i still have to wait on penn after this...and im sort of hoping to get off of jefferson's waitlist if possible as well, just to see what all of my options are before making a decision...its not worth going insane over ;)

RunMimi said:
Just out of curiosity, where are your other choices? You must have some great ones already.
I'm lookin at either Loyola, Marshall, Case, EVMS, or Duke next year... the latter being the big question mark. I liked Loyola and Chicago so much more than I was expecting that I'd prolly pick them if Duke doesn't turn out. I'm big on atmosphere over rankings...

tick tick tick..how cruel..how cruel..the specter of time is....

indeed... there's such a huge temptation to call the "purple zone" (haha) tomorrow for recon.

It seems that some have already received good news.

Congrats!

How did the acceptances come? Call? Letter? Or unofficial word of mouth?

dopaminophile said:
indeed... there's such a huge temptation to call the "purple zone" (haha) tomorrow for recon.

What's the purple zone?? And will calling it help me get in, cuz at this point, I'll do about anything? :laugh:

RunMimi's the only one that has any news (she's in!) and she got it early because she works with someone on the adcom. Other than that, it's been crickets in here.

Hi RunMimi;

Have you already found out that you got into Duke? If so, CONGRATULATIONS!! and could you tell us how you found out? (I mean, did you get a call or something?)

Thanks

Haha... the area of the building that the admissions office is in is called the "purple zone." It was on the instructions for the interview... I wish it were some secret hotline!

Tick, tock, tick, tock...

anybody hear anything yet? man, i really used to be such a laid back person......

you and me both. the silence is painful....

So is there any chance a first-class letter would make it anywhere today? Or is it definitely tomorrow for the first letters (geez I hope it's tomorrow).

people in durham might get theirs today...then again the dorm mail there is kinda slow...so maybe not till tomorrow...but in my hometown mail gets b/w zipcodes in a day or so...

i live 5 miles or so from campus, so i'm hoping a letter will show up today. who knows, though, the USPS sometimes deliver something faster to a place hours away simply because of how the routes are run. i guess i'll find out in an hour or so! :oops:

Mail just came and left in WV... no news today!

Phone call 5 minutes ago!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :)
life is soo fabulous right now

tink'rbell said:
sweet! congrats! What'd they say?

why the pseudonym?

This sounds fake.

tink'rbell said:

it was my student interviewer on the phone and i picked up, he said his name, asked if i remembered him (i did), then we kinda talked for a bit (total and complete suspenseful agony), then he finally kinda just told me...then listened to me scream and yell and make a fool of myself for a good minute and a half. he said that he plans to call all the people that he interviewed with good news, so i'm sure your phone will be ringing soon!