Countdown to Duke 2005!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ok, the following SDNers have reported acceptance. Assuming the Duke class has about 100 people (it had 101 last year), 12% of the spaces have already gone to SDNers.

1) RunMimi
2) tink'rbell
3) clayito
4) TroubledDevil
5) Mitro
6) GuyLaroche
7) NubianPrincess
8) Paramus
9) EpointH
10) tulips
11) bobhagopian
12) iunci

Congratulations you guys!! Duke’s lucky to have you!

Members don't see this ad.

SRQGirl, thanks for taking the time to do that. i was going to but was just feeling lazy and bummed at the time. long list already. doesnt look good for us...

holy crap.. 12 people have already been accepted on SDN?!? Oh well.. there goes my hopes of acceptance. I wasn't meant for the south anyways :D

Members don't see this ad :)
While there will be 100 people in the class, there are around 150 initial acceptances sent out according to previous years' countdown threads. Take that for what it's worth.

what percent of the total interviewees at duke were SDNers? if its anywhere more than 12%, you still have a chance, assuming the class is 100 big. and on top of it, if SDNers have a better chance than the average non-SDN applicant, your chances are even better.
if anyone has the answer to the first question, that would be great

According to the admissions office, all acceptances were mailed on Monday. Apparently they're still working on the other two decision categories.

great so i probably wont even hear by the end of this week
thats so dumb to do it like that

i totally agree. they should be able to make the determination whether they want to reject/waitlist as soon as they decide not to accept. i am not down to play this waiting game. just thinking that i could be on a waitlist for like 3 to 4 more months makes me shudder.

Anyone know if most people are waitlisted (vs. being rejected)? Or does beind waitlisted actually mean you have a good chance of being accepted during the summer?

dopaminophile said:
While there will be 100 people in the class, there are around 150 initial acceptances sent out according to previous years' countdown threads. Take that for what it's worth.

Very true, dopaminophile! Sadly, I've still given up hope. I'm of the philosophy that it's better to be pessimistic and be pleasantly surprised than to keep my hopes up and be disappointed. It's ok. I have an acceptance at UF and I really wanted to be close to home, so maybe it's for the best. *sigh*

congrats on ur UF acceptance. i too have given up hope but also am fortunate enough to have an acceptance at a place where i know i will be happy as well. seeing as how i thought my interview went pretty well, i cant help but believe it was my low gpa that did me in, which makes me wonder why i was called to durham in the first place. oh well. heres to pessimism and pleasant surprises.

dvd200e said:
congrats on ur UF acceptance. i too have given up hope but also am fortunate enough to have an acceptance at a place where i know i will be happy as well. seeing as how i thought my interview went pretty well, i cant help but believe it was my low gpa that did me in, which makes me wonder why i was called to durham in the first place. oh well. heres to pessimism and pleasant surprises.

same here. my stats are below duke's average. oh well. :(

any of you accepted care to share ur stats so that us less fortunate can at least look to them and confirm we were not up to par?

Members don't see this ad :)
whoa, i'm just reading this thread now as class ended; i had no idea decisions were being received yesterday; i don't know anyone who got a letter or phone call; now i'm starting to panic :eek:

has anyone in the northeast or NY received a letter yet?

edit: I should have realized people were hearing based on how many posts this thread had since yesterday

SRQGirl said:
Ok, the following SDNers have reported acceptance. Assuming the Duke class has about 100 people (it had 101 last year), 12% of the spaces have already gone to SDNers.

1) RunMimi
2) tink'rbell
3) clayito
4) TroubledDevil
5) Mitro
6) GuyLaroche
7) NubianPrincess
8) Paramus
9) EpointH
10) tulips
11) bobhagopian
12) iunci

Congratulations you guys!! Duke’s lucky to have you!

congrats to all those accepted!!

but don't they initually accept more than their class size assuming everyone won't go there or do they accept their class size and for those that turn it down; they fill in via the waitlist?

Psycho Doctor said:
whoa, i'm just reading this thread now as class ended; i had no idea decisions were being received yesterday; i don't know anyone who got a letter or phone call; now i'm starting to panic :eek:
This a list of all people that posted acceptances by phone or snail on pg 14. Good luck psycho!

dvd200e said:
i totally agree. they should be able to make the determination whether they want to reject/waitlist as soon as they decide not to accept. i am not down to play this waiting game. just thinking that i could be on a waitlist for like 3 to 4 more months makes me shudder.

I'm pretty sure they DO make this determination at the same time...the problem is the amount of man-hours required to create/print/collate/stuff/address/stamp/mail/etc. If they're sending out 150-250 acceptance letters on Feb 28th and the final decisions were literally made just days earlier, I bet it's impossible for them to get every single decision letter out by March 1st. I bet the waitlist is already created, but it probably takes time to do all the paperwork required to get so many letters out. This year Duke has to send out AT LEAST 1,000 decision letters, which only includes the people who actually interviewed...and I bet they send letters out to everyone who completed a secondary, which is somewhere in the 2,500-2,800 range! I'm not sure if they send one to everyone who submitted an AMCAS app, but that would make it over 5,000! And there's only one secretary....I hope that helps put things in perspective.

dopaminophile said:
This a list of all people that posted acceptances by phone or snail on pg 14. Good luck psycho!

yea i saw that list; but i don't know any "real life" acceptances so this sort of shocked me

best of luck to you too...is it your first choice?

dvd200e said:
any of you accepted care to share ur stats so that us less fortunate can at least look to them and confirm we were not up to par?

apparently not :(

dopaminophile said:

When I was going through this process I wondered where that 150 number came from. People posted a few years back that it used to be more like 250, but then things got more competitive, so Duke backed off on the number of initial accepts so as to not overfill its class, and the number they quoted was something like 150. But I'm not sure that was ever based on any real facts...I think it may have just been speculation. There are some folks on the admissions committee who post here on occasion though, so maybe one of them would be willing to give us a number. But from what I've heard, it's more like 200-250 this year.

And again, DON'T assume you're not in just because you haven't gotten a phone call!!!

UCLAreject said:
what percent of the total interviewees at duke were SDNers? if its anywhere more than 12%, you still have a chance, assuming the class is 100 big. and on top of it, if SDNers have a better chance than the average non-SDN applicant, your chances are even better.
if anyone has the answer to the first question, that would be great

how would anyone know that? it's not like they hand out a survey at the interview :laugh:

1) RunMimi
2) tink'rbell
3) clayito
4) TroubledDevil
5) Mitro
6) GuyLaroche
7) NubianPrincess
8) Paramus
9) EpointH
10) tulips
11) bobhagopian
12) iunci
13) LRmed2003-->thanks for leaving me off the list guys ;)

Psycho Doctor said:
yea i saw that list; but i don't know any "real life" acceptances so this sort of shocked me

best of luck to you too...is it your first choice?
Oh yeah, it's definitely my first choice. We'll see how it turns out though... I really can't complain about what Duke does or how this process has treated me when there are so many people out there with no accepts.

1) RunMimi
2) tink'rbell
3) clayito
4) TroubledDevil
5) Mitro
6) GuyLaroche
7) NubianPrincess
8) Paramus
9) EpointH
10) tulips
11) bobhagopian
12) iunci
13) LRmed2003
14) mjb24

LRmed2003 said:
1) RunMimi
2) tink'rbell
3) clayito
4) TroubledDevil
5) Mitro
6) GuyLaroche
7) NubianPrincess
8) Paramus
9) EpointH
10) tulips
11) bobhagopian
12) iunci

Sorry LRmed2003....it was nothing personal! :D

EDIT: D'oh! I just saw mjb24's post. So we're up to 14, folks.

LRmed2003 said:
1) RunMimi
2) tink'rbell
3) clayito
4) TroubledDevil
5) Mitro
6) GuyLaroche
7) NubianPrincess
8) Paramus
9) EpointH
10) tulips
11) bobhagopian
12) iunci

congrats!! and do you mind telling us your stats? :D :oops:

mjb24 said:
1) RunMimi
2) tink'rbell
3) clayito
4) TroubledDevil
5) Mitro
6) GuyLaroche
7) NubianPrincess
8) Paramus
9) EpointH
10) tulips
11) bobhagopian
12) iunci
13) LRmed2003
14) mjb24

someone please add stats to this list. i know accpetances isn't just based on stats but it may be a tiny guideline we can use to access our chances

1) RunMimi
2) tink'rbell
3) clayito
4) TroubledDevil
5) Mitro
6) GuyLaroche
7) NubianPrincess
8) Paramus
9) EpointH
10) tulips
11) bobhagopian
12) iunci
13) LRmed2003
14) mjb24
15) nomo15 - 10 percent on SDN!

Do you think if it might work against us if we actually called the admissions office and request to be informed of our status on the phone?

Medbound786 said:
Do you think if it might work against us if we actually called the admissions office and request to be informed of our status on the phone?

I don't have the guts to do this Medbound786, but if you did and reported back to us, you would forever be my hero!! :)

Medbound786 said:
i was wondering too, but i'm in class right now and can't call. why don't you do it and let us know how it goes. :D Good luck!

I bet this sinking feeling would be alleviated with a phone call or a nice letter in the mail when I get home. Knowing now that rejections/waitlists might not have not been mailed yet will make it hard not to be more discouraged each day with no mail :(

wow, the list keeps growing! 15 now...congrats again to you all. please please add stats if you can so we can have a guideline like psycho said. being that so many alone on sdn have gotten calls i would venture to say a large majority if not all people accepted were given a call. tommy gunn, your post definitely makes sense, after reading it i really cant blame the admissions office for not being able to get all those letters out this week. i guess us waitlistees/rejections will just have to wait a little longer for our letters.

Just to let you guys know, today at about 1pm I got another call (I got my acceptance call last night) from someone to tell me I had gotten in. So when I told him that I had gotten a call last night, he told me there had been a little confusion about who had been called and who hadn't. So to me that means that everyone hasn't been called and there's still hope!

Congrats to everyone who received acceptances!

I just had one quick question: did anyone who interviewed regionally receive a phone call acceptance? Just curious.

Thanks!

nomo15 said:
1) RunMimi
2) tink'rbell
3) clayito
4) TroubledDevil
5) Mitro
6) GuyLaroche
7) NubianPrincess
8) Paramus
9) EpointH
10) tulips
11) bobhagopian
12) iunci
13) LRmed2003
14) mjb24
15) nomo15 - 10 percent on SDN!

umm +3 (at least three more of my friends have gotten in and are not on SDN...

tulips said:
Just to let you guys know, today at about 1pm I got another call (I got my acceptance call last night) from someone to tell me I had gotten in. So when I told him that I had gotten a call last night, he told me there had been a little confusion about who had been called and who hadn't. So to me that means that everyone hasn't been called and there's still hope!

Ack! They really are making this as nerve-wracking as possible, aren't they? If anybody gets up the courage to call the admissions office, PLEASE let us know what they say.

Tra La La said:
I just had one quick question: did anyone who interviewed regionally receive a phone call acceptance? Just curious.

If you read back a bit I'm pretty sure I already answered this question...the calling has nothing to do with who interviewed you (and I know this for a fact since I've seen the e-mail asking for volunteers to help call accepted students)

TommyGunn04 said:
If you read back a bit I'm pretty sure I already answered this question...the calling has nothing to do with who interviewed you (and I know this for a fact since I've seen the e-mail asking for volunteers to help call accepted students)

TommyGunn, you seem to have a lot of information. If it's a general policy to call accepted students, is it ok for applicants to call and see if they're accepted?

SRQGirl said:
TommyGunn, you seem to have a lot of information. If it's a general policy to call accepted students, is it ok for applicants to call and see if they're accepted?

i just missed a call from 919-660-XXXX. i'm freakin out.

Probably shouldn't be posting people's (possibly student's) numbers on the web...edit-delete.

ramblinwreckie said:
i just missed a call from xxx-xxxx-xxxx. i'm freakin out.

ramblinwreckie said:
i just missed a call from 919-xxx-xxxx. i'm freakin out.
do they leave messages? Maybe I should go home...but why torture myself since i'll probably get a rejection anyway?

ramblinwreckie said:
i just missed a call from 919-***-**** . i'm freakin out.

call them back!!! good luck :luck:

Psycho Doctor said:
do they leave messages? Maybe I should go home...but why torture myself since i'll probably get a rejection anyway?

uh hunh. if you get rejected, then people like me have no chance psycho :D

So far nobody in the Maryland/DC/NY area has received a letter yet right?

Psycho Doctor said:
I can't wait for my rejection!!! yipee...;) just knowing either way would be nice... ok, an acceptance would be nice!

I haven't. I haven't checked the mail yet today though.

tinkerbelle said:

So far nobody in the Maryland/DC/NY area has received a letter yet right?

fixed. my bad, not thinking straight right now. no message, no one answers when i call back, and i don't know a soul in durham or raleigh. call me back. i'm dying here!!!!!!!!!!!!

you probably got in then :)

ramblinwreckie said:
fixed. my bad, not thinking straight right now. no message, no one answers when i call back, and i don't know a soul in durham or raleigh. call me back. i'm dying here!!!!!!!!!!!!

tinkerbelle said:
not true at all, now let's not forget i have no research :(