Couple of general questions about HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trixr4kids0001

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Couple of questions:

-What are cons of doing the military HPSP? A recruiter came to my college to talk about it, but only said the benefits of the program.
-I know there are many branches but which is better?
-When you are finished with dental school, where are you deployed to? (I know there are many locations I just don't know where)
-If you do your residency through the army does that count as your 4 years you have to pay back?
-If at the point after dental school I happen to be married, would my family get to come with me? Are there any jobs for them?
-Silly question, but serious: Can you bring your pets with you when your deployed? (My cat would hate to be re-homed)
-For the army, there is a 6 week program that you have to go to during the summer: What is this like and what exactly do you do?

I hope someone can help me answer these questions. I would really like some more info before I contact my area recruiter about it. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Couple of questions:

-What are cons of doing the military HPSP? A recruiter came to my college to talk about it, but only said the benefits of the program.
-I know there are many branches but which is better?
-When you are finished with dental school, where are you deployed to? (I know there are many locations I just don't know where)
-If you do your residency through the army does that count as your 4 years you have to pay back?
-If at the point after dental school I happen to be married, would my family get to come with me? Are there any jobs for them?
-Silly question, but serious: Can you bring your pets with you when your deployed? (My cat would hate to be re-homed)
-For the army, there is a 6 week program that you have to go to during the summer: What is this like and what exactly do you do?

I hope someone can help me answer these questions. I would really like some more info before I contact my area recruiter about it. :)

1) The cons are that if you don't graduate from dental school, or fail the boards multiple times - the military can take you on active duty and have you do something non-dental. They could also make you repay the money you don't choose which option - they do. The key is to graduate dental school and become a dentist. Other than that you don't have much of an obligation during dental school to them. After school you will go where they need you (with input from you)
2) Search through old threads to see what input has been provided about the different services. It may come down to who has available scholarships.
3) Deployed is typically used when you are sent to a combat zone. I believe you are trying to find out some of the possible locations you might get stationed or moved to. It will depend on which service you join, but includes all over the US, Hawaii, Alaska, Europe, and Asia
4) No. Any specialty training will be in addition to your obligation. The military is not going to pay for your dental school, give you a specialty and then let you get out - search the threads - they explain how additional training adds time to your obligation.
5) When you move with the military it is like moving with any other job. You can bring pets and your family to almost every place.
6) Most people do nothing during the 6 weeks - just stay in school. If you want, you can try to do an internship with the Army at one of their bases for anywhere between 3-6 weeks.