Couple questions regarding path to medical school. Can i make it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopetobedoctor101010

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

As of right now, my gpa isn't stellar. This year was quite bad (sophomore year of UG). I received 3 Cs and a C+ and my GPA dropped significantly (my mental health was not good first semester). My cumulative gpa is like 3.1 now and last semester sGPA was 3.4 (yikes). I used to be a very very good student in high school with a stellar SAT score. On the bright side, I have lots of ECs + leadership (i feel this might've been why my GPA wasn't so good though).

Anyway, I am currently a Neuroscience major. I understand that I need straight As from here on out and am willing to take a gap year. MD or DO, either is fine.

Should I switch my major to Psychology? I have heard that the Neuroscience core classes are significantly more difficult as you move up, in my school (many upperclassmen have told me). However, I also haven't officially declared my major and have taken core classes for pre med up until now. Because of this, I wanna switch to Psych because it is EASY, relative to other science majors. I have heard that medical schools do not care what your major is, just how you do in the upper level science classes of that major. Can anyone relate or have experience or opinions on whether or not I should do this?

Additionally,

How important is volunteering? I know at my school you log your own hours and I feel a lot of people just "tweak" the amount of hours they actually put in.

How about shadowing? I'm also doing research but it seems to me in my lab, it's gonna be a long while till I get a publication.

How ambitious can i be? Dare I say, MD school?

I do not want to go to the carribeans.

Members don't see this ad.