Couples Advice For Which School to Commit To:

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

throwthrowthrowaway

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my partner and I need help with which school to put by the April 30 Deadline, but here's the dilemma:
  • SO #1 and SO #2 both interviewed at School A and School B
  • SO #1 was WL'd at Schools A and B (will commit to School C in the meantime and probably won't hear from WL until after the deadline)
  • SO #2 was accepted at School A and accepted at School B
What school should SO #2 commit to? We'd like to go to the same school, but it sucks that SO #2 might commit to the wrong school (assuming SO #1 gets 1 acceptance from the other school). Is there any way around this???

Hope this all makes sense and appreciate any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

I would highly suggest disclosing the schools so we can assess how far apart the schools are from each other and how much wait-list movement the schools have.

SO #2 holds all the power. It might be possible to say to each school, "I like a, b, and c about your school but I'm in a bit of a bind because I'm holding two offers and my SO is on the waitlist at both schools. We want to attend the same school if at all possible. How likely is it that my SO will get pulled from your waitlist before May 1?"

If the chances are slim to none, then you have your answer and you should make your decision as if SO#2 was on neither waitlist. If the school holds out some hope, you might want to hang on for the next 6 weeks and see how things shake out.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I commented on your thread in the X vs Y. This is cross posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.