Course Advice???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Knicks17

"First Pakistani-American Surgeon General?"
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
After this semester i will be done with taking all my general bio electives, I will have a choice of 20 bio credit electives after this. Any advice of what to take that would really help with the Mcat or helpful courses overall?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I recommend molecular bio, genetics, and virology. Take a bio class that will force you to read REAL research articles... It will teach you to search for vital info and not get lost in the madness. This was the case for my virology class. I believe it was an upper level writing intensive bio course that was an elective. As for genetics and molecular, they just give you a feel for how the body works and the mechanisms that we have in place to protect us. It's fascinating really. Did you know we have heat shock sensors??? LOL no im not in med school.... Yet

Reactions: 1 user
For your 20 bio credit electives, you might consider: molecular biology, neuroscience, or immunology ... or take the bio electives that most interest you (because this may be the last time you can take some bio classes that truly interest you as a UG).

MCAT and helpful courses ... psychology/behavioral science or additional biochem.

Members don't see this ad :)
For MCAT purposes, you should take at least one or two seminar-style classes where you read and dissect scientific papers. Data analysis and interpretation is an important skill to have, as well as knowing the limitations of statistical analysis. This sort of analytical skillset will go a long way for you on the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 users
Biochemistry = Yuuuuuuuge on the MCAT
Genetics.
Cell biology.
Human physiology.

These classes helped me a lot for B/B. ^^^

I don't think you need psychology or sociology to do well on the psych/soc section. Kaplan/khan materials were enough for me.

Thanks guys, how about Micro and A&P???

Physiology helps a lot. Not anatomy since most anatomy courses are just dry memorization of body structures using models and pictures.

Reactions: 1 user