Courseload during MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TurkSurg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the previous semesters my total class credits ranged between 15-17. Currently I have 16 credits and am planning to take the MCAT next semester. Is it a bad idea to drop my credits to 12-15 range next semester so I can prepare well enough for the test (not including ~15hr/week ecc's) ? Should I at least keep it at 15?

So an example of 15 credit of classes would be:
Biochemistry
Physical chemistry
Organic II lab
Spanish

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
To be perfectly honest, I have NO IDEA how people study for this test while taking classes. Its really beyond me. Going at it some 5 hours a day is I how I studied, and to imagine classes and studying for other things is insane. The only way I studied was during my senior year, when my courseload was super light (weekend classes, electives, research credit, and 1 medium-difficulty class). But then again, some people are just geniuses, making a 30+ after taking just 3 practice tests. I took 35 tests to get my score.

In the previous semesters my total class credits ranged between 15-17. Currently I have 16 credits and am planning to take the MCAT next semester. Is it a bad idea to drop my credits to 12-15 range next semester so I can prepare well enough for the test (not including ~15hr/week ecc's) ? Should I at least keep it at 15?

So an example of 15 credit of classes would be:
Biochemistry
Physical chemistry
Organic II lab
Spanish

That is FAR too heavy to take while studying for the MCAT.

Again, the human ability varies significantly. On one end of the extreme, a man can run a marathon in 2 hours. On the other extreme, it might take 10 hours. Same applies here. The only problem is, we don't know his abilities so we can't make that decision..

Wait a minute, I just remember something. OP Didn't you post that you got a 36 sometime? Why the heck are you retaking that?

ChemEndSoonMD: You're right we don't know. Yet, if I pick a person off the street at random, chances are they'll take 10 hours. Similarly, there are some people that can take the MCAT cold and get 36+. However, most people need 3-4 months and even then most will not get a 36+. Even if the person could take the MCAT cold, that doesn't mean they wouldn't benefit from 3-4 months of study and practice.

Most of these kids on the forums have never worked a full time job for more than a month or two --- odds are most of them haven't really worked at all (most pre-meds are middle to upper middle class). They've really been coasting along throughout high school and especially college (average course load is 12-15 credit HOURS PER WEEK/semester).

Of course, Indians/Chinese/Japanese kids are a different group but their countries are a lot more competitive from the day they're born

you have to remember there are 24* 7 = 168 hours per week and you need 8 hours a day of sleep * 7 = 54 hours, and you want to chill for like 3 hours everyday * 7 = 21 hours, then you want to workout for 1 hours everyday (this is the max) * 7 = 8.5 (shower time, getting to gym and back) lets make that 14 hours (i like to workout m w f an additional hour), then you're in class 23 hours a week, then you study about 8 hours a week for those classes.

Let's just say you're doing that. Out of those classes, how many are really going to be studying 3 hours/credit hour? It depends on the difficulty of your classes/professors.

I'm taking microeconomics, macroeconomics, financial accounting, a guitar credit, elementary french I, mathematics of finance, and intro to business (financial accounting and intro to business I am taking through ONLINE CLASSES).

You'll probably do al ittle here and there and then study the night before an exam. No one studies more than an hour to two hours a week for these classes.

So let's say you want to do 5 hours of MCAT studying a week * 7 days = 35 hours. Realistically, it'll be more like 3.5-4 hours (with break times and losing attention span)

So let's add up - 168 hours - 56 (total sleep in a week) - 21 (total chill time per week THATS 3 HOURS PER DAY!) - 14 (hours working out per week (this is more than what most people do), 31 hours (23 hours in class + 8 hours of studying/week) = 46 hours left over in the week for MCAT studying which gives me 6.6 hours of study time every day.

Now for me to do this it means that I am sacrificing time with others (i won't be out late, will be going to bed on time, eating well, exercising everyday).

because in general you have 3 fields here you can cut short to compensate for the other 2 (health, relationships/family/friends, work/education/money endeavors)

I am sacrificing relationships/family/friends for 3.75 months (classes run 75 days excluding thanksgiving and saturdays and sundays or 15 weeks @ 5 days at "part-time" 20 hour shifts).

So even with this schedule, i have 3 hours a day of CHILL TIME and I can cut it down to 2 hours a day or even 1 hour a day if need be.

In my free time, i have to take into account travel time to classes (8 minutes), to the gym (5 minutes), wasted time/procrastination/zoning out (1 hour), and I won't be watching tv in my free time.

I'll probably end up reading magazines (The Economist + The New Yorker, reading news online) just for the heck of it.

I can do this because I'm a little older and I've taken time off after college after working a full time job for a few years.

I will admit this will be like a bootcamp but frankly it won't be hell because I'm taking classes I want (fun interesting relevant classes) and not bull**** biology classes like organic chem ugh....

Your schedule doesn't have to be as crazy as mine, but as you can see, I am taking 23 credits this semester, plus spending 4-5 hours a day studying for the MCAT, plus working out and I still have like 2-3 hours a day to chill out and relax.

You're going to have a schedule like this in medical school, you might as well get used to it now you know?

Last edited:
Most of these kids on the forums have never worked a full time job for more than a month or two --- odds are most of them haven't really worked at all (most pre-meds are middle to upper middle class). They've really been coasting along throughout high school and especially college (average course load is 12-15 credit HOURS PER WEEK/semester).

Of course, Indians/Chinese/Japanese kids are a different group but their countries are a lot more competitive from the day they're born

you have to remember there are 24* 7 = 168 hours per week and you need 8 hours a day of sleep * 7 = 54 hours, and you want to chill for like 3 hours everyday * 7 = 21 hours, then you want to workout for 1 hours everyday (this is the max) * 7 = 8.5 (shower time, getting to gym and back) lets make that 14 hours (i like to workout m w f an additional hour), then you're in class 23 hours a week, then you study about 8 hours a week for those classes.

Let's just say you're doing that. Out of those classes, how many are really going to be studying 3 hours/credit hour? It depends on the difficulty of your classes/professors.

I'm taking microeconomics, macroeconomics, financial accounting, a guitar credit, elementary french I, mathematics of finance, and intro to business (financial accounting and intro to business I am taking through ONLINE CLASSES).

You'll probably do al ittle here and there and then study the night before an exam. No one studies more than an hour to two hours a week for these classes.

So let's say you want to do 5 hours of MCAT studying a week * 7 days = 35 hours. Realistically, it'll be more like 3.5-4 hours (with break times and losing attention span)

So let's add up - 168 hours - 56 (total sleep in a week) - 21 (total chill time per week THATS 3 HOURS PER DAY!) - 14 (hours working out per week (this is more than what most people do), 31 hours (23 hours in class + 8 hours of studying/week) = 46 hours left over in the week for MCAT studying which gives me 6.6 hours of study time every day.

Now for me to do this it means that I am sacrificing time with others (i won't be out late, will be going to bed on time, eating well, exercising everyday).

because in general you have 3 fields here you can cut short to compensate for the other 2 (health, relationships/family/friends, work/education/money endeavors)

I am sacrificing relationships/family/friends for 3.75 months (classes run 75 days excluding thanksgiving and saturdays and sundays or 15 weeks @ 5 days at "part-time" 20 hour shifts).

So even with this schedule, i have 3 hours a day of CHILL TIME and I can cut it down to 2 hours a day or even 1 hour a day if need be.

In my free time, i have to take into account travel time to classes (8 minutes), to the gym (5 minutes), wasted time/procrastination/zoning out (1 hour), and I won't be watching tv in my free time.

I'll probably end up reading magazines (The Economist + The New Yorker, reading news online) just for the heck of it.

I can do this because I'm a little older and I've taken time off after college after working a full time job for a few years.

I will admit this will be like a bootcamp but frankly it won't be hell because I'm taking classes I want (fun interesting relevant classes) and not bull**** biology classes like organic chem ugh....

Your schedule doesn't have to be as crazy as mine, but as you can see, I am taking 23 credits this semester, plus spending 4-5 hours a day studying for the MCAT, plus working out and I still have like 2-3 hours a day to chill out and relax.

You're going to have a schedule like this in medical school, you might as well get used to it now you know?

nice post, but you did all the thinking for him....

True, but it was minimal thinking at best ;)

The trick is working out everyday so that you really *wake up* to sit in class all day studying.

If I don't exercise/eat healthy + clean, I end up doing more like an hour of work a day (literally) spread over 9 to 10 hours just goofing off.

As long as you stay full-time according to your university's policy, your courseload doesn't matter to med schools. At least that's what I've been told. Only you know your capabilities. Personally, I don't think the schedule looks that bad, but then again I have never had physical chemistry. If that includes three labs though, it might take up a lot of time. If it were me, I would start the semester with those classes and after the first week or so evaluate how much time the classes take. Then I would make the decision wether the drop or stick with it.

yeah don't do labs. They are time consuming and you get little bang for the buck (1 credit with hours of work put in - can I say LAMMMMMME?)

Reactions: 1 user
yeah don't do labs. They are time consuming and you get little bang for the buck (1 credit with hours of work put in - can I say LAMMMMMME?)

Huh, that doesn't sound like a fellow :confused: Just to be clear, you are completing a medical fellowship right? The fellow title on here is meant to indicate a medical fellowship.

I don't think your schedule is FAR beyond the average pre-med student's abilities.

All those classes will help out in certain portions of the MCAT.

It's always a challenge.

Biochemistry
Physical chemistry
Organic II lab
Spanish
- sounds good

Why would I be completing a medical fellowship if I was taking the MCAT? Doesn't make much sense now does it?