COVID-19 and impact on school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got a late start in tracking all this stuff (Valentine's Day) but even in the past month I've seen the numbers, charts, and everything go gangbusters. And that's largely with a lack of good testing, so we really don't know actual # cases, especially in USA.
That’s the rub. We have no idea how many active cases there actually are; in most (all?) states, the number of people getting tested is minimal, and it’s largely due to issues of supply and staffing. I’m at a local health department in Missouri and the state only sent us 5 (seriously) test kits for the whole county. Hospitals all also got only 5 each, and there are only two of them. So that’s currently 15 available test kits for a county of around 150,000 individuals in the metro area of the largest city in the state. The hospital I previously worked out is already nearly out.

In an ideal world where we have all of the financial support and manpower necessary, we’d test everyone concerned. We’d love to test everyone to have more accurate data. Unfortunately, we can’t right now and we have to prioritize based on relative risk and certain other criteria and it sucks because that means our number of active cases is likely quite a bit higher than what has been reported. At least, that’s what it’s like here in Missouri, which is a state that is... not exactly the best known for funding and staffing their public health offices adequately, to say the least (much to the chagrin of my coworkers and supervisor).

Our epidemiologist did say something about more test kits going out to primary care physicians and urgent cares, not just hospital ERs, over the next few days. I’m really hoping that that's happening; for the cases out there in most otherwise healthy, young people with relatively mild illness, I think it’s far more likely we catch them for evaluation and testing there versus an ER. And that isn’t even mentioning the costs to the patients... there’s also a ton of confusion going on among the public. We’re trying to educate and encourage basic protective measures to mitigate, slow the spread, and start “flattening the curve”, so to speak (social distancing, proper hand washing, stay home if you feel sick, go to an ER if you’re having difficulty breathing or other severe symptoms, etc.) especially among vulnerable populations, as much as possible. But most of them are utterly freaking out and won’t listen. They don’t understand that we don’t have the capability to test every single person who thinks they’re sick because we don’t get the support that we need and we have to carefully pick and choose who gets tested at this point.

Also, our hospitals are nowhere near equipped currently to handle a rash of complex cases. The hospital I worked at previously has a grand total of 5 ICU beds; I think the other hospital in the county has a similar amount of space. Basically, if things go bad here, we’re in trouble.

Anyway, this is just to say that I can’t thumbs-up your posts enough, @Stroganoff. We aren’t prepared for the worst case scenario. We aren’t testing enough and we are frustrated, too. I’m two weeks into this job and am learning a lot about how the U.S. health system, especially public health, actually functions in the real world, on the front lines. It isn’t pretty. IMO, the federal response really, really needed to have been faster and more substantial upfront than it actually was.

ETA that, on my commute to work, I saw an announcement that both Missouri and Kansas will be receiving more federal funding ($10M and $6M, respectively). That will help, but I still think that it’s too little too late at this stage. The virus is more widespread than what the official numbers are saying.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 7 users
The president of UF sent an email yesterday that UF is mandating all classes move online through at least March 30. We are still waiting for info from the vet school about how that applies to us. Our Spring Break starts Saturday, so I am hoping for that info soon. Trying to figure out if I am going on a trip to TN and coming back or if I am going to just take my dogs and go home to wait it out.

K-State announced they're extending spring break through the 20th and going to online classes starting the 23rd. The hospital is staying open and 4th years are continuing clinics as usual, they're not making anyone cancel externships but if you can't or don't want to go where you were supposed to they'll try to work something out. Not sure what they'll do for 1st-3rd year labs. As far as junior surgery, the only thing this time of year is bovine C-sections which I think are mostly done by now.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know this is a serious situation and I’m concerned about the elderly and at risk populations. I really hope people are cognizant of others and adhere to the CDC’s recommendations.

But part of me is also like “finally a socially acceptable reason to engage in my normal introverted homebody behavior“. Also an extra 3 days of spring break is nice.

Also our hospital is staying open. We got another email form the dean saying if the caseload gets too small at the VTH they are working on avenues of sending fourth year students who need a core rotation to other surrounding hospitals. Although I don’t know if those would be any busier, but I guess if there are less students at one place each student gets a little more to do.

Reactions: 5 users
5e178ee.png

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 25 users
Oklahoma State is now officially online only for two weeks after spring break (ending April 5th( but we’re supposed to find out later today what this means for our surgeries, labs, meetings, and open house.

Reactions: 1 user
Copy-pasta from the other thread on some useful links I have open 24/7 in their own tabs (well not WHO or CDC at this point lol). The two links I use most are the JHU one (it's pretty plus it's ArcGIS overlay for a high level world view... it used to be more granular by city/county but they switched to just US state or CA province last week) followed by Worldometers, which has a nice table I like on the +798 numbers for cases and other data.
Ugh, yes, I noticed this, too. The JHU ArcGIS is primarily what we'd been using to track here as it was the most granular interface available but we were annoyed by this change. Haha.

We just got this update:

“At this time, the college has received permission to continue to offer fourth year clinical instruction in clinical rotations in the Lloyd Veterinary Medical Center and other locations as scheduled.”

Reactions: 2 users
Why is it crazy to go to Japan over other places? They have has as many cases and deaths as the US does. Although, much smaller country and closer to China. I have a couple friends that were planning to do research in Japan this summer but now they aren't sure if they will be allowed to :(
I currently have spring break plans and no real intention to cancel, but I guess we'll see how the next couple days go :/ if nothing else I'm not going more than a day's drive from here

IMHO, traveling ANYWHERE overseas in the current situation is not such a good idea and should be avoided if at all possible, especially for leisure. Regardless of how many confirmed cases are reported in the destination country, there's still the risk in the airport, security checks and sitting on a plane for X hours next to someone you don't know. And you have to go through these risks twice. Three TSA screeners were infected in SJC already.

Reactions: 3 users
It's one of the few countries that has a CDC travel warning. Currently there are 4 counties with a level 3 warning, Japan alone has a level 2 warning, and a handful of places have level 1 warnings. So, Japan essentially looks like the 5th riskiest country to be in right now.

If you travel to a Level 2 or Level 3 warning country, Virginia Tech requires that you not step foot on campus unless you can prove 14 days without symptoms.

I also don't think it's fair to compare a country's travel risk based on number of cases alone. If the numbers are about the same, the US would have a lower percentage of the population affected because our population is larger. Our population density is also much lower because our country size is much larger. Their demographics are also older, their infrastructure is different (more public transit use), etc which may impact spread. I don't think other countries are currently banning travel to the US based on our situation, but happy to be proven wrong if you feel like Googling more thoroughly than I did. I feel like some cities in the US would certainly be as risky as other parts of the world. We're also the only country banning travel to Japan as far as I know though so ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯

Sent from my SM-G892U using SDN mobile
One of my classmates is on vacation in Japan this week, I was really surprised she still went. Not sure if she'll be able to get back on time or how long she'll have to be quarantined.

Reactions: 1 users
Some fun quotes from an article I read...

"Bedlam at U.S.-bound airlines at [Charles De Gaulle airport] in Paris early this a.m., as Americans pay as much as $20,000 for last-minute flights," reporter Mike McIntire of The New York Times said via Twitter.”

“In an appearance on CNN Thursday morning, Pence also mentioned that Americans flying home from Europe "will be funneled through 13 different airports" where they will be screened and then asked to self-quarantine. Pence did not name those airports.”

Was planning to go to abroad next week... that’s not happening, especially after this weird travel ban. I don’t want to be quarantined for 2 weeks after getting back.

I was also hoping to visit UGA since I’m not going abroad anymore, buuuut I’m not sure if air travel is smart to do at all right now? Thoughts? Accepted students day is the 21st and hasn’t been canceled yet, but even just seeing the facility and getting a vibe would be nice...

Here’s the article for the above quotes:
shorturl.at/cpqM7

IMHO, traveling ANYWHERE overseas in the current situation is not such a good idea and should be avoided if at all possible, especially for leisure. Regardless of how many confirmed cases are reported in the destination country, there's still the risk in the airport, security checks and sitting on a plane for X hours next to someone you don't know. And you have to go through these risks twice. Three TSA screeners were infected in SJC already.

This is it exactly. As someone who has a partner that works for the airlines...we travel a lot. But flying has a ton of moving parts and a lot of events upstream can really impact in ways it may not be easy to foresee. I think international travel right now is a big mistake, public health concern aside, we can't predict how any of the government systems in any location will react

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My husband is currently stationed in Greece and I was supposed to be visiting him in late April. His command has restricted all travel out of the area and we've both accepted that I won't be visiting. Having a heck of a time getting through to the airline to officially cancel my flight. Feeling the sads because I don't know when I'll get to see him next ... but also don't want to propagate spread of the virus or end up getting stuck somewhere :(

• Sad
Reactions: 8 users
Since I'll be returning from an out of state externship I have to self-quarantine for 2 weeks when I get back :lame:
Oh no! I’m in the same situation of an out of state externship, and I’m just waiting for the email that I have to do a quarantine as well. I’m REALLY hoping not to, mainly because I don’t want to prolong clinics at all.

Oh no! I’m in the same situation of an out of state externship, and I’m just waiting for the email that I have to do a quarantine as well. I’m REALLY hoping not to, mainly because I don’t want to prolong clinics at all.
I already have to make up 4 weeks because of a conference and then a family emergency earlier on during the year, so this puts me at 6 past the official end of clinics, which may mean my official graduation date will be delayed until August. Will likely still get to walk with my class (if graduation doesn't get cancelled...) but I won't be able to work or anything until I actually graduate.

Once again a good thing I'm going straight into a PhD program after I finish clinics so it isn't as big of a deal as it could have been.

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users
I was supposed to interview for a patient care position at the hospital this month. Just got an email saying those jobs are on hiatus and will be reassessed in May, as they are unsure whether the hospital will be fully operational over the summer. I'm trying not to panic, but I'm sort of panicking. How am I supposed to pay rent? Deep cleansing breaths, it'll all come out ok soon...

• Wow
NYC is going nuts atm. State of emergency, no events over 500 people and broadway is shut down. This is crazy!
Side note.... why is toilet paper the #1 hardest thing to find atm :wtf:

• Sad
NYC is going nuts atm. State of emergency, no events over 500 people and broadway is shut down. This is crazy!
Side note.... why is toilet paper the #1 hardest thing to find atm :wtf:
Basically it starts as a concern that if they get quarantined to your house, TP is one of the only things that can’t be easily substituted. You need it. So then as the panic grows, more and more people go out to buy it, making more panic when there’s none. It’s a huge negative feedback loop!

Basically it starts as a concern that if they get quarantined to your house, TP is one of the only things that can’t be easily substituted. You need it. So then as the panic grows, more and more people go out to buy it, making more panic when there’s none. It’s a huge negative feedback loop!
Towels, Kleenex, napkins, tshirts, socks, lots of things to substitute it with :p

• Haha
My school just canceled all in person classes for the rest of the semester...

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
I don’t remember if I said that we did officially get told by vet med this morning that classes are officially cancelled in person and it’ll all be on echo until further notice, but minimum if 2 weeks. As of right now clinics are still happening for VM20/21 but that could change if the provost says so. White coat for 3rd years was supposed to be the 22nd but it is currently postponed.

I know LSU canceled admitted students day and that the undergrad went online only. A current student told me the students and dean are meeting Friday to discuss options

A friend of mine who goes to LSU said their spring break is a week longer and they are moving to online when they return too.

Last edited:
Hoping to hear an update from my school soon. The cruise industry is really big here (2-4 ships a day) and lots of international visitors, plus I know at least a couple students that are back in the states visiting and coming back this week.. so I’m a little freaked out.

All of our lectures get recorded but we have some that are mandatory/have attendance taken. I’d just like to really avoid being around a lot of people at this point to be safe. No cases here yet but the island supposedly just got testing kits so who knows.

The admin of my undergrad just announced that tomorrow is our last day of face to face classes and that our finals next week will be online. After that is spring break, and the first four weeks of classes after that will be online.

All extra activities have been canceled at WSU through April. State has a ban on events of 250+ people. They even cancelled all nonschool class related events classes were holding like spring social and Jr review.:( They have even cancelled some rounds in the hospital if more than 15 people were to be in the room. Graduation is still up in the air as of right now.

On a side note our anesthesia lab was divided into 3 blocks. I'm in block 3-wonderful. There's literally 16 people in it. Means it's pry not gonna happen=huge bummer. Talked to the anesthesiologists today, even bounced her the idea of everyone showing up in our surgery masks or splitting the groups so no one is in 1 room at the same time. She's doesn't get the final say, but she's definitely hopes to get something figured out for us block 3 people. Hopefully it's not starting school early next year or adding it onto our crazy fall schedule, because both of those options aren't great.

Can the world be normal yet please?

• Sad
Ok school is a big deal and all, but things are getting serious. My brother-in-law canceled his open house wine tasting for this weekend.

No free wine for me after white coat :arghh:

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 7 users
They changed their tune from yesterday and all our finals next week will be online. One of our professors literally told us the exam will be the same length (like number of questions) but we have half as much time to complete it now... how is this fair?!

• Sad
Ugh, yes, I noticed this, too. The JHU ArcGIS is primarily what we'd been using to track here as it was the most granular interface available but we were annoyed by this change. Haha.
FWIW the n=1 case in MO was in the Jeff City area, but at this point this is likely moot because of under-testing.

"Bedlam at U.S.-bound airlines at [Charles De Gaulle airport] in Paris early this a.m., as Americans pay as much as $20,000 for last-minute flights," reporter Mike McIntire of The New York Times said via Twitter.”
The cheaper workaround would be to do a 1-way flight to the UK, 1-night hotel, then 1-way flight to USA. I bet that's cheaper than $20K flight from Paris.

Wouldn't this be positive feedback loop aka vicious cycle?

But yeah, the mocking of the TP outages is really irritating. People set up the strawman that COVID-19 doesn't generally give you GI issues. "It's not dysentery!" But what they're not getting is that many people don't have enough TP for 1-3 months of a mandatory lockdown, so imo it's very reasonable to make sure there's that much for the household.

No update for classes at UCVM yet. Though our province just banned gatherings of 250+ and we are getting daily updates from the main campus now.

Not sure what online classes are going to look like as our university has no lecture capture tech currently in use. As long as it doesn't affect my ability to get a degree in 2 months, I don't care. With our 4th years like me scattered all over the place though and not allowed to take sick leave... Feels kinda like typhoid Mary out here

Texas A&M has cancelled classes all next week and then we will be transitioning to online classes only the rest of the semester. All meetings over 50 people are suspended. Don't really know how things are going to play out but thankful that we don't have a lot of labs this semester as third years. All our surgery labs are over with. As for the first and second years who have a lot of labs, hopefully they'll figure out a way to make things work.

FWIW the n=1 case in MO was in the Jeff City area, but at this point this is likely moot because of under-testing.
I’m pretty sure that that initial confirmed case was actually from St. Louis county... Ladue, if I remember right from what we were told in the briefing?

Either way, there was a second, presumed positive test result for Missouri that got confirmed today. That one’s from the Springfield area, I believe. Also haven’t heard anything about the two tests that our county sent out at the end of last week.

You’re still totally right, though; it’s kind of moot considering the utter lack of supply means that very, very few people will actually get tested right now. I am hoping that that will change with the increased funding.

So I understand cutting down on large gatherings. But students aren’t going to be allowed to come to Penn at all it sounds like. Which, as a student employee is less than ideal. I don’t rely on the money I make right now to live and it’s such a small amount. But there’s a possibility that I’m not going to be allowed to work, and we have no idea if this will extend into the summer or not if that’s the case. If I can’t work this summer then I’m losing thousands of dollars. Ugh

• Sad
So I understand cutting down on large gatherings. But students aren’t going to be allowed to come to Penn at all it sounds like. Which, as a student employee is less than ideal. I don’t rely on the money I make right now to live and it’s such a small amount. But there’s a possibility that I’m not going to be allowed to work, and we have no idea if this will extend into the summer or not if that’s the case. If I can’t work this summer then I’m losing thousands of dollars. Ugh
Maybe they will still let you work...?

Here they are strongly encouraging students to keep their jobs (and even pick up extra shifts), but aren't forcing anyone to stay in the area if they don't feel comfortable/prefer to go home.

Maybe they will still let you work...?

Here they are strongly encouraging students to keep their jobs (and even pick up extra shifts), but aren't forcing anyone to stay in the area if they don't feel comfortable/prefer to go home.
I’m going to find out for sure tomorrow, but as of right now it’s hard not to speculate. The email the associate dean sent out makes it sound like I’m out of a job.

“Penn Vet’s overarching goal is to keep our student population safe. Therefore, in the interest of public health, starting Monday March 16, pre-clinical students should not come to the Penn Vet Campus for any reason. This includes the library. If there is some urgent reason you must come to campus, please email me first.”

No update for classes at UCVM yet. Though our province just banned gatherings of 250+ and we are getting daily updates from the main campus now.

Not sure what online classes are going to look like as our university has no lecture capture tech currently in use. As long as it doesn't affect my ability to get a degree in 2 months, I don't care. With our 4th years like me scattered all over the place though and not allowed to take sick leave... Feels kinda like typhoid Mary out here

It's ok fam, we can get coronavirus, as long as we aren't sick/quarantined for more than 2 days out of a 2 week period ;)

now taking donations of hand sanitizer and Lysol so I can graduate on time

Oklahoma State cvm is going to 2 weeks of online lecturers after spring break. Spring break is next week, so we might get back to school April 6th at the earliest. As a 3rd year we are scheduled for 3 exams during that time. They have not yet told us how that or labs will be handled. I’m not too worried about the labs but how is everybody’s schools handling the exams?

Cool cool, someone from my university is covid-19+ (not at the vet school specifically, someone within the university at large)

I feel sorry for that person and for all the rest of us when things go even more bananas tomorrow because of it

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 6 users
Oklahoma State cvm is going to 2 weeks of online lecturers after spring break. Spring break is next week, so we might get back to school April 6th at the earliest. As a 3rd year we are scheduled for 3 exams during that time. They have not yet told us how that or labs will be handled. I’m not too worried about the labs but how is everybody’s schools handling the exams?
VMCVM is going online after spring break. They're going to remotely proctor our exams through Examsoft apparently. Details tbd.

Sent from my SM-G892U using SDN mobile