COVID and shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cunnle01

Reaction score
Hello all! I decided to graduate a year early, so I will be applying for the 2021 cycle. Since I made that decision, I had all my shadowing hours arranged for this summer, but COVID had other plans. I only have 6 hours of shadowing, however, I have worked as an optician and a receptionist at an optical for three summers. I am planning to take my OAT in July. Another area of concern is that I have a 3.98 in my current college GPA, but when I factor in all the college credits I took in high school my GPA drops to a 3.7. Will either of these hurt my chances? and do they look at highschool grades the same way they look at college grades? I just want to be realistic about my chances before applying.

Members don't see this ad.

I honestly think you're fine with your gpa. My gpa when I applied was 3.48 both cumulative and for science. And since you worked as an optician and an optical receptionist for three summers I think you're golden with experience. I only had 64 hours of shadowing between two different practices and that's it. Just do well on your OAT and you should be fine.