COVID and shadowing

Started by cunnle01
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

cunnle01

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all! I decided to graduate a year early, so I will be applying for the 2021 cycle. Since I made that decision, I had all my shadowing hours arranged for this summer, but COVID had other plans. I only have 6 hours of shadowing, however, I have worked as an optician and a receptionist at an optical for three summers. I am planning to take my OAT in July. Another area of concern is that I have a 3.98 in my current college GPA, but when I factor in all the college credits I took in high school my GPA drops to a 3.7. Will either of these hurt my chances? and do they look at highschool grades the same way they look at college grades? I just want to be realistic about my chances before applying.
 
I honestly think you're fine with your gpa. My gpa when I applied was 3.48 both cumulative and for science. And since you worked as an optician and an optical receptionist for three summers I think you're golden with experience. I only had 64 hours of shadowing between two different practices and that's it. Just do well on your OAT and you should be fine.