Covid exposure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted875186

So I was called to intubated a patient in the middle of the night, 30 something, obese, found unresponsive, ED tried unsuccessfully, I go down and do intubation while CPR is paused. Nobody in gowns, ED people have N95 with regular mask over it. I totally forgot to wear an N95, must have been in a sleep state because it completely passed my mind.

I had assumed it was an overdose or something, I ask the ED people after I leave they say no, asthma attack. I ask them to test for Covid.

what do you think I should do post exposure. I’m obviously vaccinated. Get tested in a few days? Just keep living my life?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Be careful next time. No testing unless symptomatic . F/u on covid result. All hospitalized patients should be getting tested . All ED intubations n95 and safety goggles

Reactions: 3 users
I've been hearing good things about this ivermectin paste. Seems like a lot of people find that stuff trustworthy.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So I was called to intubated a patient in the middle of the night, 30 something, obese, found unresponsive, ED tried unsuccessfully, I go down and do intubation while CPR is paused. Nobody in gowns, ED people have N95 with regular mask over it. I totally forgot to wear an N95, must have been in a sleep state because it completely passed my mind.

I had assumed it was an overdose or something, I ask the ED people after I leave they say no, asthma attack. I ask them to test for Covid.

what do you think I should do post exposure. I’m obviously vaccinated. Get tested in a few days? Just keep living my life?
I had something similar happen and opted to just go out and get my third vaccine dose the same day and have been totally fine (a little self driven prophylactic antibody response if you will). If you become symptomatic and test positive try to get monoclonal therapy it works well when given early and there is a ton of it around because all the antivaxers deny covid in themselves for at least a week before they test positive and wait until their saturation is divisible by 65 before the go to a hospital so they aren’t candidates then.

Dude i've never used a N95 gowns or gloves. I'm sure at the beginning we must have have had several patients with unsuspected Covid. I didn't take many confirmed Covid cases in the OR but we did do a trach in a patient who was positive 2 days after the surgery. Nobody in the OR for that case wore any special equipment and nobody caught it. Since June I'm alnlost never wearing a mask even for intubation.
Maybe it's my N=1 but i believe a facial protection against aerolized particules is 100% effective when worn properly.
So if you were wearing a N95 there's zero cances you are catching it and you're vaccinated what exactly are you scared of?

• Dislike
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Dude i've never used a N95 gowns or gloves. I'm sure at the beginning we must have have had several patients with unsuspected Covid. I didn't take many confirmed Covid cases in the OR but we did do a trach in a patient who was positive 2 days after the surgery. Nobody in the OR for that case wore any special equipment and nobody caught it. Since June I'm alnlost never wearing a mask even for intubation.
Maybe it's my N=1 but i believe a facial protection against aerolized particules is 100% effective when worn properly.
So if you were wearing a N95 there's zero cances you are catching it and you're vaccinated what exactly are you scared of?

wtf

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users
I’m not afraid of the disease, but I do try to take all precautions, just wondering with more cases of breakthrough cases with vaccination if I should be wearing a mask around family members at home for the next week, need to get tested, etc. Obviously nobody knows the answer, I’m hoping the risk is as low as you are inferring, I do agree for the most part, I think I intubated a lot of asymptomstic Covid patients back in the early spring 2020 without any consequence, but who knows.

I think a test this early wouldn’t likely be positive yet, but if the patient turns positive, then you’d fall under the category of a known exposure, in which case most workplaces would have you quarantine and be tested. What would I do in the meantime? If I had unvaccinated children at home, as I do, I would probably mask in the house and try to stay away from them as much as possible. Sounds extreme, I suppose, but that’s what I would do.

Out of an OR staffed by probably around 70 people who didn' wear N95s for the fist few weeks because of lack of supplies exactly 0 got contaminated by a patient....

And how many of those patients were proven positive covid? My coworker got covid from a ****show floor intubation covid positive cardiac arrest and she was wearing an N95

Out of an OR staffed by probably around 70 people who didn' wear N95s for the fist few weeks because of lack of supplies exactly 0 got contaminated by a patient....
Well this settles it the rest of the world is wrong and you are right.

Reactions: 6 users
And how many of those patients were proven positive covid? My coworker got covid from a ****show floor intubation covid positive cardiac arrest and she was wearing an N95
No idea i assume there must have been some unsuspected ones in the december to march timeframe. After the testing started only emergencies were done for those who tested positive.
The stories i heard from those who got it were mostly gatherings with no masks or through family members.

Your facility should have policies on this.

If the patient is negative do nothing but be more careful next time. Most of my facility’s worst exposures came from unresponsive ED patients. One particularly memorable one was a guy who called EMS because he was driving and felt funny and said he was too drunk to keep driving so they needed to pick him up…

Lots of facilities have policies to use N95 etc for any intubations with untested patients.

If patient is positive, depends on facility policy but per CDC guidance you would not be required to quarantine if asymptomatic and should test at 5-7 days post exposure or if sx develop. #3 & #4 Healthcare Workers

While waiting, don’t eat in groups and wear your mask.

Average time for a positive PCR test with the delta variant is shorter than with the original coronavirus, about 3.8 days instead of 6. You will know sooner.

Hospitals have different quarantine policies than most of the rest of the world. In a school, an exposure often means the entire class has to quarantine. In the hospital, you keep working unless you become symptomatic. The difference is likely that in the hospital there is access to and better training on how to wear personal protective equipment. Students probably wear the same unwashed cloth mask several days in a row. Hospitals have Purell dispensers every 10 feet in the hallway.

Average time for a positive PCR test with the delta variant is shorter than with the original coronavirus, about 3.8 days instead of 6. You will know sooner.

Hospitals have different quarantine policies than most of the rest of the world. In a school, an exposure often means the entire class has to quarantine. In the hospital, you keep working unless you become symptomatic. The difference is likely that in the hospital there is access to and better training on how to wear personal protective equipment. Students probably wear the same unwashed cloth mask several days in a row. Hospitals have Purell dispensers every 10 feet in the hallway.

It’s more that healthcare workers are essential to the response. But even then some still get quarantined depending on the situation and staffing. Students are also more likely to be asymptomatic spreaders. A large number of our positive hospital staff got it from their kids who did not have symptoms.

Third dose now. Mu Variant is out there and even a third dose won't be sufficient to keep you from getting sick but I'm hopeful it will save your life.
This is your life, your career and your decision. While I 100% support wearing a N95 mask around Covid + patients that alone isn't enough. One small error with your technique and you will be exposed to Covid.

For get the Ivermectin and get the third dose preferably Moderna.