Exposure to Covid 19 after 2 mRNA shots

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BLADEMDA

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, let's say I was exposed to a Covid positive patient last week but I am asymptomatic. I am fully vaccinated with 2 shots of mRNA vaccine months ago. Should I get tested? Should I get an antibody level? I am pretty certain I was exposed to the Delta variant which is spreading like wildfire in my area. Comments?

Members don't see this ad.

Delta variant COVID-19 symptoms to watch for​

So if you’re looking out for symptoms, there’s a range of COVID-19 symptoms out there that can tell you if it’s time for a coronavirus test. The ZOE COVID Symptom study — which has taken data from the fully vaccinated people who have been infected with COVID-19 — found the following symptoms are the most common, especially as the delta variant is spreading:

• Headaches
  • Runny nose
  • Sneezing
  • Sore throat
  • Loss of smell

Delta variant is COVID-19 ‘on steroids,’ expert says​

Not worried about the delta variant of the coronavirus? Well, it’s worse than the normal COVID-19, an expert said

IMHO, the Delta variant will continue to spread and infect the majority of the unvaccinated population which in my area approaches 40%. This is the main reason I think a booster shot should be made "available" to those at high risk of coming into contact of the infected population like us.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you should take plaquenil prophylatically

I'm assuming you have a bunch still stashed away

• Haha
Reactions: 22 users
Honestly out of sheer ease of life and logistics, if I come into contact with known delta variant as a vaccinated person, I'll probably be just more vigilant with hand washing and mask wearing. Not getting tested if asymptomatic.

Reactions: 2 users
Blade, I had the same thing happen to me 12 days ago. One of our pre-op nurses was coughing all over everybody at the nurses station and she said it was allergy. She had been vaccinated. Found out four days later that she was Covid positive. It has now been 12 days since I was exposed to her and I haven’t had any symptoms. Our hospital did not advocate for any prophylactic testing or treatment for any of us. I think that is generally supported by the evidence; that after vaccination if you do get Covid you are likely to have some sort of symptomatology associated with it.

Reactions: 1 users
Gear up with N95. Test 4-6 days after exposure. Positive, stay home. Negative, keep N95 on as Delta is spreading like wildfires in California.

I have a co-worker fully vaccinated and infected.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bleach goes down easier with a shot of tequila. It's called a "ropa blanca."

Despite some initially concerning reports my understanding is even with delta variant those that are fully vaccinated are still about 80-90% less likely to be hospitalized and something on the order of 95% less likely to die. My main concern would be that I wouldn’t want to spread it to someone that was immunocompromised and therefore not able to gain full immunity from the vaccine.

To answer OP without all the sarcasm....

Normally if asymptomatic you do not need to be tested, but if you are still providing patient care you should follow your hospital's guidelines on testing and isolating if positive. Some hospitals will let you work even if positive as long as you have no symptoms but many will require you to isolate for some time period even if asymptomatic. Definitely do not need an antibody level as it will not impact management in any way even if you become sick.

The non-physician side of me no longer cares if non-vaccinated adults in the USA get COVID19. They had the opportunity and chose not to take it. Why should those who choose to participate in society sacrifice anything more for them? **** 'em.

The physician side of me understands the grave implications of further spread of the disease.

Reactions: 11 users
The non-physician side of me no longer cares if non-vaccinated adults in the USA get COVID19. They had the opportunity and chose not to take it. Why should those who choose to participate in society sacrifice anything more for them? **** 'em.

The physician side of me understands the grave implications of further spread of the disease.
They still come to the hospital to consume healthcare resources when they get sick and now I have seen several cases of vaccinated adults with severe covid 19

They still come to the hospital to consume healthcare resources when they get sick and now I have seen several cases of vaccinated adults with severe covid 19
Wow, you saw a breakthrough case? Amazing. I mean, we all already knew that they happen, but thanks for your insight, that **** should be in the news

I can’t believe tv program would let people say things like this on air. Every one of them has blood on their hands.

I bet the anchors and people working for Fox are all vaccinated.

• 4,115 people have been hospitalized or died with Covid-19 despite being fully vaccinated.
  • The total number of individuals who died after contracting Covid-19 despite vaccination is 750.
  • 76% of hospitalizations and deaths from breakthrough cases occurred in people over the age of 65.

Reactions: 1 user
Sir Patrick also reiterated the vaccine is less effective at stopping people catching and spreading coronavirus that it is at preventing serious illness.
Yahoo News

Yahoo News UK

60% of all COVID hospitalisations are unvaccinated, says Patrick Vallance​

Rebecca Speare-Cole
July 19, 2021, 1:16 pm
Chief scientific adviser Sir Patrick Vallance, during a media briefing in Downing Street, London, on coronavirus (Covid-19). Picture date: Monday July 19, 2021.

Chief scientific adviser Sir Patrick Vallance, during a media briefing in Downing Street, London. (PA)
This article was amended after Sir Patrick Vallance corrected an earlier statement in which he initially said 60% of hospitalisations were double vaccinated people
Around 6 in 10 of those requiring hospital treatment are unvaccinated, the government's chief scientific adviser has said.

Speaking at a Downing Street press conference on Monday, Sir Patrick Vallance said it was "inevitable" that the proportion of people being admitted to hospitals who have had both jabs will increase.
It comes as most remaining lockdown measures were eased in England as cases continue to rise.
The government has justified easing measure by arguing that the vaccine program is helping to sever the link between catching the virus and serious illness and death.

Read: UK hits highest rate of COVID cases in the world as all restrictions lift on ‘Freedom Day’
About 36 million - or 68% - of all adults have add the second jab, while 48 million - 88% of adults - have had one jab.
But recent figures show that the number of people, who have received both doses and are catching the virus with some then being hospitalised, is rising.
On Monday, according to the latest government figures, 742 people were admitted with COVID. That means the total admitted in the past seven days stands at 4,317 - an increase of 40% on the previous week.
Sir Patrick said: "Vaccines are not 100% effective. They're very very effective, but not 100%
"As a higher proportion of the population is double vaccinated, it's inevitable that those 10% of that very large number remain at risk and will therefore be amongst the people who both catch the infection and end up in hospital."
Sir Patrick also reiterated the vaccine is less effective at stopping people catching and spreading coronavirus that it is at preventing serious illness.
Watch: Those self-isolating must continue to do so - PM
spaceball.gif

"If everybody over the age of 18 had taken up the vaccine then anybody who caught it would be double-vaccinated," he said.
"We should expect to see a higher proportion of people in hospital and catching the infection that are double-vaccinated because of the less than 100% efficacy oft he vaccines overall. "
Boris Johnson also told the press conference that the number of people catching COVID despite being double jabbed had been rising.
Responding to a question over the proportion of daily cases who had had zero, one or two doses, he said: “I think, sadly, the number of COVID cases that have involved somebody who’s had two vaccinations has been rising, although clearly the results… of the vaccines remain very good in the sense that they protect those people very largely against serious illness and death, even if they contract it.”
COVID certificates
It comes after the government revealed that COVID vaccine certifications are likely to be brought in for crowded, enclosed venues such as nightclubs.
Speaking to the House of Commons on Monday, vaccines minister Nadhim Zahawi said proof of a negative COVID-19 test would soon “no longer be sufficient” that a person was COVID-safe.
He urged businesses to “use the NHS COVID pass in the weeks ahead”, adding: “We will be keeping a close watch on how it is used by venues and reserve the right to mandate if necessary.”
He continued: “By the end of September everyone aged 18 and over will have the chance to receive full vaccination and the additional two weeks for that protection to really take hold.
“So at that point we plan to make full vaccination a condition of entry to nightclubs and other venues where large crowds gather.
“Proof of a negative test will no longer be sufficient.”
Sir Patrick also warned that nightclubs could be “potential super spreading events”.
He said: “Right the way across the world we’ve seen that nightclubs and venues where you’ve got lots of people indoors, crowded together, are a focus for potential super spreading events, and that has also been seen in terms of what’s happened in Holland and Israel where nightclubs opened, and you saw a big increase in cases.
"So I think it’s... there’s no question that that is an environment in which spreading is easier, you’ve got lots of people quite close together, you’ve got the environment in which spreading becomes easier."

• 4,115 people have been hospitalized or died with Covid-19 despite being fully vaccinated.
  • The total number of individuals who died after contracting Covid-19 despite vaccination is 750.
  • 76% of hospitalizations and deaths from breakthrough cases occurred in people over the age of 65.

Every time we reopen more, it should not be a surprise that there are more break through cases. These numbers are not a reason to buy into the fear mongering. Flu numbers are high and the vaccine is way less effective. We are lucky to have hit it out of the park with the Pfizer and moderna vaccines. This is a far larger sample set to work with. The pharmaceutical companies have billions of dollars in it if they can squeak out any credible justification for a booster shot and they haven’t been able to do so. The FDA, CDC, and the NIH just put out a joint statement July 8, 2021 firmly stating there is currently no evidence we need a booster shot.

Worldwide we have had 191 million confirmed cases and 4.1 million deaths. Spanish flu had 50 million deaths.

Again, we have an effective vaccine. I am confident we will be able to ramp up production for the rest of the world. I understand why you would be interested in becoming an early adopter should a booster shot be needed, but it does not seem like doses are in short supply in the US. All good brah. Relax.

As it does for the numbers of flu cases, doctor’s visits and hospitalizations, CDC also estimates deaths in the United States using mathematical modeling. CDC estimates that from 2010-2011 to 2013-2014, influenza-associated deaths in the United States ranged from a low of 12,000 (during 2011-2012) to a high of 56,000 (during 2012-2013).

How effective was the 2017-2018 flu vaccine?​

The overall vaccine effectiveness (VE) of the 2017-2018 flu vaccine against both influenza A and B viruses is estimated to be 40%. This means the flu vaccine reduced a person’s overall risk of having to seek medical care at a doctor’s office for flu illness by 40%. Protection by virus type and subtype was: 25% against A(H3N2), 65% against A(H1N1) and 49% against influenza B viruses. These

What’s the end game? The end game is being vaccinated and modifying ones risk of severe disease. I am relatively young, without pre-existing conditions, and vaccinated. I also followed mask and social distancing ordinances when they were in effect. If these ordinances are issued again it will likely only be due to an artificial necessity created by lack of compliance with vaccination programs. Therefore henceforth I will personally have no incentive to be compliant with additional mask and social distancing ordnances. If the dumb ones are volunteering to cull themselves from the population, I am not going to stand in their way.

I appreciate all the responses. Some were very helpful. I am taking small amounts of bleach mixed with Tequila twice per day. I have added Hyroxyxchloroquine twice daily. My Rx for Ivermectin was filled today so I start that tomorrow. I have decided against the rectal oxygen... for now, but I'll add that if I get sick. Thanks again.

• Haha
Reactions: 14 users
Don't forget to drink the milk:
This happened after claims emerged on social media and WhatsApp groups that drinking this brand of milk could produce Covid antibodies.
The price of the milk shot up by 455%.

1626898297361.png

What’s the end game? The end game is being vaccinated and modifying ones risk of severe disease. I am relatively young, without pre-existing conditions, and vaccinated. I also followed mask and social distancing ordinances when they were in effect. If these ordinances are issued again it will likely only be due to an artificial necessity created by lack of compliance with vaccination programs. Therefore henceforth I will personally have no incentive to be compliant with additional mask and social distancing ordnances. If the dumb ones are volunteering to cull themselves from the population, I am not going to stand in their way.
100%. I’ll wear a mask when it suits me to lessen my risk of catching a variant, but it’s insulting to make those who already got vaccinated modify their behavior because half the country is science illiterate.

• The delta Covid variant is one of the most infectious respiratory diseases seen by experts.
  • “I think people are underestimating how bad this is going to get,” said Dr. Ashish Jha, dean of Brown University’s School of Public Health.
  • “It might peak in September, but we are far away from the peak, right now we are doing 40,000 cases a day, it’s going to go substantially higher before it peaks,” Jha said.

• The delta Covid variant is one of the most infectious respiratory diseases seen by experts.
  • “I think people are underestimating how bad this is going to get,” said Dr. Ashish Jha, dean of Brown University’s School of Public Health.
  • “It might peak in September, but we are far away from the peak, right now we are doing 40,000 cases a day, it’s going to go substantially higher before it peaks,” Jha said.
Maybe I'm one of the people underestimating it.

Even if cases go substantially higher before the next peak, will the severity of the illness put the same kind of strain on the system? At this point we have a majority of the population vaccinated. Some of them (us) will catch the delta variant. But not many of us will need to be hospitalized because prior vaccination results in much less severe disease.

The vaccine-reluctant people are going to be hit, hard. I'm alarmed about what that means for that small cohort of people who can't get vaccinated, but for the people who lack the sense to get vaccinated ... :shrug: I'm having trouble mustering a lot of concern. They're adults, free to choose their own risks, and no one is really free if they aren't allowed to make bad decisions and hurt themselves.

Unless hospitals get slammed again, and care of non-COVID patients gets impacted again, and our elective case load drops off again ... I have to admit, unless those things happen, I'm not sure I can maintain interest.

~17 months ago I had a front row seat to the start of this ****show in Italy, where there were convoys of military trucks hauling away bodies because the morgues and funeral homes were so overwhelmed. Does anyone really think the pandemic is going to get that bad again, in a country with a surplus of multiple different effective vaccines, and new mRNA vaccine tech that permits pretty rapid updating for new variants?

Reactions: 6 users
They're adults, free to choose their own risks, and no one is really free if they aren't allowed to make bad decisions and hurt themselves
I don't care about people that choose to hurt themselves, but anecdotally reasonable amount of vaccine breakthrough with people getting fairly sick. I'm not smart enough to deal with any long term (brain) covid effects either.
Most importantly, I have a child that isn't eligible for a vaccine. It's rare but
Children were 1.3%-3.6% of total reported hospitalizations, and between 0.1%-1.9% of all child COVID-19 cases resulted in hospitalization
Children were 0.00%-0.26% of all COVID-19 deaths

And again there are much worse things in life then death.

At this point we have a majority of the population vaccinated

I'm under the impression only 49% of America (eligible person's only!) Are fully vaccinated

I think that if you had access to the vaccine and decided against it, you should be ineligible for medical care related to covid. I mean even with the ridiculous way it was administered at the beginning, it has been widely available to the public for months.

PGG, in my area this Delta Variant is just as bad if not worse than the first wave 15 months ago when we shut down. Hospitals are cutting back on surgeries requiring admissions to the ICU or step-down. Sure, we can blame the 50% who choose not to get vaccinated but we must still deal with their consequences as well.

I hope the death toll doesn't keep rising through the Fall and Winter but as of today things don't look good.

Maybe I'm one of the people underestimating it.

Even if cases go substantially higher before the next peak, will the severity of the illness put the same kind of strain on the system? At this point we have a majority of the population vaccinated. Some of them (us) will catch the delta variant. But not many of us will need to be hospitalized because prior vaccination results in much less severe disease.

The vaccine-reluctant people are going to be hit, hard. I'm alarmed about what that means for that small cohort of people who can't get vaccinated, but for the people who lack the sense to get vaccinated ... :shrug: I'm having trouble mustering a lot of concern. They're adults, free to choose their own risks, and no one is really free if they aren't allowed to make bad decisions and hurt themselves.

Unless hospitals get slammed again, and care of non-COVID patients gets impacted again, and our elective case load drops off again ... I have to admit, unless those things happen, I'm not sure I can maintain interest.

~17 months ago I had a front row seat to the start of this ****show in Italy, where there were convoys of military trucks hauling away bodies because the morgues and funeral homes were so overwhelmed. Does anyone really think the pandemic is going to get that bad again, in a country with a surplus of multiple different effective vaccines, and new mRNA vaccine tech that permits pretty rapid updating for new variants?
Yes I think the next surge will have high death counts. They are saying the delta variant is just as virulent, and much more infective.

I’ve heard some people saying they think vaccinated people can still transmit the delta variant, so yes it sounds like there may be very high case counts.

remember it took a couple months at least from the start in 2020 to get to the s**t show in NYC, so yes I think by the fall we will have high case numbers

I don't care about people that choose to hurt themselves, but anecdotally reasonable amount of vaccine breakthrough with people getting fairly sick. I'm not smart enough to deal with any long term (brain) covid effects either.
Most importantly, I have a child that isn't eligible for a vaccine. It's rare but
Children were 1.3%-3.6% of total reported hospitalizations, and between 0.1%-1.9% of all child COVID-19 cases resulted in hospitalization
Children were 0.00%-0.26% of all COVID-19 deaths

And again there are much worse things in life then death.

I'm under the impression only 49% of America (eligible person's only!) Are fully vaccinated
Oh I'm annoyed with them, and I disagree with their decision, mainly because of the risk they pose to vaccine-ineligible people, but I'm not going to advocate mandatory vaccination at this point. (Short of that what can we do?) I'm not worried about myself or my family - the odds of us being a breakthrough COVID case with mortality or lasting morbidity is far less than other risks we accept every day.

I think we're past 50% for people who've had at least one dose.

Yes I think the next surge will have high death counts. They are saying the delta variant is just as virulent, and much more infective.
Maybe, but the M&M will be almost entirely people who chose not to get vaccinated. They're like people in the fem-pop-chop-chop-hop pipeline who keep smoking. I don't enjoy seeing them get their legs chopped off, but I'm emotionally ... detached ... from it.

And there's nothing we can do about it. If hospitals get overwhelmed again and it harms other patients, I'll be angry again. Helplessly angry.

Reactions: 5 users
Ill start caring when the *******es are occupying hospital beds that should belong to elective surgical cases and/or if I cant go skiing this winter.

I think that if you had access to the vaccine and decided against it, you should be ineligible for medical care related to covid. I mean even with the ridiculous way it was administered at the beginning, it has been widely available to the public for months.
Sounds fair. Also should be ineligible for SS disability.

• Israeli health officials plan to offer booster shots of the Pfizer-BioNTech Covid-19 vaccine to people over age 60, NBC News confirmed Thursday.
  • The heads of health maintenance organizations that have been administering the Pfizer vaccine will begin administering third shots Sunday, according to NBC News.
  • The booster shots are available for patients above 60 who have already received their second shot at least five months earlier.

I agree with both of these quotes. My nurses and RTs are flat out angry and the ICU doctors are too. One would say we take care of DKA from poorly controlled diabetics too or alcoholics, but in my kind they’re only willfully hurting themselves and it’s a usually a product of some unfortunate social circumstances. This is on a whole different level, of actively choosing to not get a vaccine.

we are angry how stupid the unvaccinated are and sympathy and empathy is gone.

I prior didn’t care about wearing my mask outside even if I’m asymptomatic carrier, because the amount of vitriol I’ve had thrown at me from some people in my family And friends despite being in NYC during peak Covid has me really feeling like, maybe we need Darwin to take over.

I see 2 big reactions, 1) they often cry and beg for the vaccine once they’re gravely sick 2) their family members continue to deny wanting to get the vaccine while watching their loved me get tubed.

my only true concern is, as mentioned what’s going to happen once we get a few more mutations and it escapes the vaccines.

sorry for the rant, I’ve been front line as a fellow, an attending and happen to be in an outbreak state currently. It’s just insane !

The efficacy of the current mRNA vaccines are much lower against the Delta variant. Israel is reporting 35-40 percent in terms of protection against illness. Currently, we are protected against severe illness but that could change. Still, Israel is reporting patients who are getting moderate delta variant infections even after 2 mRNA shots. I firmly believe we are all still at risk while we do our jobs every single day. We need a booster or third shot this fall so we can go on with our work without getting the actual Covid symptoms.

I meant to post we should be offered the option of a third dose or booster.

• Pfizer and BioNTech's Covid-19 vaccine is just 39% effective in Israel where the delta variant is the dominant strain, according to a new report from the country's Health Ministry.
  • The two-dose vaccine still works very well in preventing people from getting seriously sick, demonstrating 88% effectiveness against hospitalization and 91% effectiveness against severe illness, according to the Israeli data.

I agree with both of these quotes. My nurses and RTs are flat out angry and the ICU doctors are too. One would say we take care of DKA from poorly controlled diabetics too or alcoholics, but in my kind they’re only willfully hurting themselves and it’s a usually a product of some unfortunate social circumstances. This is on a whole different level, of actively choosing to not get a vaccine.

we are angry how stupid the unvaccinated are and sympathy and empathy is gone.

I prior didn’t care about wearing my mask outside even if I’m asymptomatic carrier, because the amount of vitriol I’ve had thrown at me from some people in my family And friends despite being in NYC during peak Covid has me really feeling like, maybe we need Darwin to take over.

I see 2 big reactions, 1) they often cry and beg for the vaccine once they’re gravely sick 2) their family members continue to deny wanting to get the vaccine while watching their loved me get tubed.

my only true concern is, as mentioned what’s going to happen once we get a few more mutations and it escapes the vaccines.

sorry for the rant, I’ve been front line as a fellow, an attending and happen to be in an outbreak state currently. It’s just insane !

Totally agree. They made their choice to forego medical care. Safe and effective vaccines made in record time with high efficacy that the rest of the world is clamoring for. Yet these people are willfully killing themselves with their own stupidity. There's only so much a system can take before there are mass resignations and bankrupt hospitals. Burnout is already high in the emergency department even without all this covid nonsense.