This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cs321

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
With rise of educational programs and certificates, I have noticed that there increase number of programs for Certificate in Public Health. I am looking to go to med school while concentrating in public health. I was wondering whats are thoughts on someone who is MD/CPH vs MD/MPH. I understand MPH is a master level degree that allows for broader scope of understanding of public health. However, it is definitely more time consuming ( usually adding 1-2 years to medical school) and money consuming. I was wondering if I can still do similar scope of work with CPH as I would with MPH?

Members don't see this ad.

With rise of educational programs and certificates, I have noticed that there increase number of programs for Certificate in Public Health. I am looking to go to med school while concentrating in public health. I was wondering whats are thoughts on someone who is MD/CPH vs MD/MPH. I understand MPH is a master level degree that allows for broader scope of understanding of public health. However, it is definitely more time consuming ( usually adding 1-2 years to medical school) and money consuming. I was wondering if I can still do similar scope of work with CPH as I would with MPH?
What work are you trying to do ?

In Canada, an MPH is part and parcel of residency training for public health physicians, and I imagine it's similar in the USA. If you're intent on becoming a public health doctor, doing the certificate/MPH before med school might be an unnecessary pain. Whether it will help your odds of admission I don't know, though I imagine all Master's degrees are given more or less equal weight. In fact, a thesis-based Master's (MSc) rather than a professional Master's (MPH, MBA) might give better odds by virtue of having proven your research chops, so to speak.

Members don't see this ad :)
In Canada, an MPH is part and parcel of residency training for public health physicians, and I imagine it's similar in the USA. If you're intent on becoming a public health doctor, doing the certificate/MPH before med school might be an unnecessary pain. Whether it will help your odds of admission I don't know, though I imagine all Master's degrees are given more or less equal weight. In fact, a thesis-based Master's (MSc) rather than a professional Master's (MPH, MBA) might give better odds by virtue of having proven your research chops, so to speak.

MPH programs in the USA require a Capstone project which equivalent to a thesis (product of publishable quality).

In regards to your question OP, I am doing an MD/MPH. If your school does not incorporate meaningful public health education into its curriculum, then a one year MPH as part of the MD/MPH track may be worth it. I would definitely not have done my MPH if it had added two years rather than just one.

Finally, it's really about your career goals. If you want to work as a physician in a way that intersects with public health, then yes an MPH is worth it. If you just want the education and to learn the material, just buy textbooks and read them and listen to public health talks.

Might be an unpopular opinion,but in my limited experience,the abbreviated MPH along with the MD provides very substandard practical public health skills. I can't imagine that a certificate would be worth while in any way. I'm about to graduate with my MPH (full length) and I would still be somewhat uncomfortable leading any public health project or anything beyond simple studies.

Last edited:
Might be an unpopular opinion,but in my limited experience,the abbreviated MPH along with the MD provides very substandard practical public health skills. I can't imagine that a certificate would be worth while in any way. I'm about to graduate with my MPH (full length) and I would still be somewhat uncomfortable leading any public health project or anything beyond simple studies.
Just like you need a residency to practice medicine you need to work in public health to gain the competencies required to run a program. Education by it self is only the building block.

Reactions: 1 user