Crack the DAT review- PAT, Science and RC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arezoo91

CADent
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
And here's my first post! Just giving back to the community ;)

I just took the test this morning and I thought I should write a short review on Crack the DAT for all those who are trying it and are feeling overwhelmed.

My DAT scores:
Biology: 22
Chemistry: 22
Organic Chemistry: 19
PAT: 27
RC: 23
QR:22

Crack the DAT- Sciences

Guys dont freak out if you see very low scores in this section. I'm looking at the science scores I have gotten in Crack the DAT and they are ridiculous:
14, 17,17,17,18
The science section is not worth getting. Save your self some money. The only benefit it had was to make me realize I needed to work much harder on OChem -after a few 14s and 15s. I didnt find the biology questions to be that random -just compering to the actual test where in there were at least 5 questions I had ABSOLUTELY no idea about but for some reason the scores you get are not representative of the actual test. If you have bought the science section already: cheer up! you'll do much better in the actual test ;)

Crack the DAT- PAT

THE BEST! The only reason I got that 27 that I can brag about! they are very accurate and representative.
Here are my scores :

A few things to consider:
  • Keyholes: I did find the keyhole section a bit more difficult than that of Crack the DAT. But overall I felt confident going through this section.
  • Top/Front/End View: *****DO NOT solve the problems of Crack the DAT by line counting. You wont be able to use this method in the real DAT for almost 90% of the questions.***** so you might as well get use to finding other clues in the answer choices or try imagining the 3D shapes in your head -you don't wanna get surprised on the day of the real test and also run out of time -cause line counting takes half as much time. I finished this section in the real DAT in about 10 minutes without any lucky guesses. just work your way through the 10 practice tests and you'll be fineeee.
  • Angle Ranking: yeah! much easier than Crack the DAT. on the last practice tests I was getting 100% on all the sections except for this one -50% used to make me happy!- On the real DAT the majority of the questions you can answer either by elimination of the answer choices or just looking at the angles for a few seconds. there were some challenging ones that took some time for me to figure out though I ended up spending about 6-7 minutes here.
  • Hole Punching and Cube Counting: aim for 100%. If you use the right method its very easy to do ;)
  • Pattern Folding: Same difficulty as Crack the DAT. No big surprises. went smoothly

Crack the DAT- RC

The real DAT passages were half as long as the passages in the RC section of Crack the DAT- so cheer up! you're not slow! They are just toooooo long! *******

I am an ESL and I am not at all confident in my English abilities. I kept getting the same range of scores in the practice tests and as I was getting closer to the test date I was starting to freak out a lil. I was going through this forum when I came across another method for doing the RC- which at first I thought it was stupid and took too much extra time but then realized my scores actually improved significantly.
IMPORTANT: everybody is different. if you have trouble with this section use at least two different methods on your practice tests each for a few times and then choose the one that you feel more comfortable with. Don't say no to new methods simply because you are afraid of changing yours/ you think you dont have enough time. I might end up being worth it at the end of the day. here are my scores:

18,19,20,20,20,17 (and from here on I changed my method) 21, 21, 22

At the beginning and for a long time I was reading the passage and making a map, then going to the questions, trying to match the map with the question and find the relevant info. For some reason it didnt seem to work. Specially for the Crack the DAT passages that were 20 paragraphs long! CRAZYYYY. I sometimes couldn't even finish reading the passage :/ Then I changed my method: I read the questions first. then went to the passage and started reading from the first paragraph. I would recognize some key words from the Qs when I see them in the passages and I would go find the relevant Q right away and answer it. **The questions are more or less in the same order as the paragraphs like 60-70% of the time.** I would also quickly review the other questions I have not answered yet so that I could keep the key words fresh in my mind and pick them up fast from the passages. Using this method -which at the beginning might seem chaotic- improved my practice scores.
Also in the real DAT the passages were much shorter -12,11 and 10 paragraphs though the last one had long paragraphs. for the first time in my life I had some time to spare at the end of RC!

Ok there goes my contribution to the pre-dental society. I wish you all great luck and success!

Ps. if you got questions feel free to ask :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
And here's my first post! Just giving back to the community ;)

I just took the test this morning and I thought I should write a short review on Crack the DAT for all those who are trying it and are feeling overwhelmed.

My DAT scores:
Biology: 22
Chemistry: 22
Organic Chemistry: 19
PAT: 27
RC: 23
QR:22

Crack the DAT- Sciences

Guys dont freak out if you see very low scores in this section. I'm looking at the science scores I have gotten in Crack the DAT and they are ridiculous:
14, 17,17,17,18
The science section is not worth getting. Save your self some money. The only benefit it had was to make me realize I needed to work much harder on OChem -after a few 14s and 15s. I didnt find the biology questions to be that random -just compering to the actual test where in there were at least 5 questions I had ABSOLUTELY no idea about but for some reason the scores you get are not representative of the actual test. If you have bought the science section already: cheer up! you'll do much better in the actual test ;)

Crack the DAT- PAT

THE BEST! The only reason I got that 27 that I can brag about! they are very accurate and representative.
Here are my scores :

A few things to consider:
  • Keyholes: I did find the keyhole section a bit more difficult than that of Crack the DAT. But overall I felt confident going through this section.
  • Top/Front/End View: *****DO NOT solve the problems of Crack the DAT by line counting. You wont be able to use this method in the real DAT for almost 90% of the questions.***** so you might as well get use to finding other clues in the answer choices or try imagining the 3D shapes in your head -you don't wanna get surprised on the day of the real test and also run out of time -cause line counting takes half as much time. I finished this section in the real DAT in about 10 minutes without any lucky guesses. just work your way through the 10 practice tests and you'll be fineeee.
  • Angle Ranking: yeah! much easier than Crack the DAT. on the last practice tests I was getting 100% on all the sections except for this one -50% used to make me happy!- On the real DAT the majority of the questions you can answer either by elimination of the answer choices or just looking at the angles for a few seconds. there were some challenging ones that took some time for me to figure out though I ended up spending about 6-7 minutes here.
  • Hole Punching and Cube Counting: aim for 100%. If you use the right method its very easy to do ;)
  • Pattern Folding: Same difficulty as Crack the DAT. No big surprises. went smoothly

Crack the DAT- RC

The real DAT passages were half as long as the passages in the RC section of Crack the DAT- so cheer up! you're not slow! They are just toooooo long! *******

I am an ESL and I am not at all confident in my English abilities. I kept getting the same range of scores in the practice tests and as I was getting closer to the test date I was starting to freak out a lil. I was going through this forum when I came across another method for doing the RC- which at first I thought it was stupid and took too much extra time but then realized my scores actually improved significantly.
IMPORTANT: everybody is different. if you have trouble with this section use at least two different methods on your practice tests each for a few times and then choose the one that you feel more comfortable with. Don't say no to new methods simply because you are afraid of changing yours/ you think you dont have enough time. I might end up being worth it at the end of the day. here are my scores:

18,19,20,20,20,17 (and from here on I changed my method) 21, 21, 22

At the beginning and for a long time I was reading the passage and making a map, then going to the questions, trying to match the map with the question and find the relevant info. For some reason it didnt seem to work. Specially for the Crack the DAT passages that were 20 paragraphs long! CRAZYYYY. I sometimes couldn't even finish reading the passage :/ Then I changed my method: I read the questions first. then went to the passage and started reading from the first paragraph. I would recognize some key words from the Qs when I see them in the passages and I would go find the relevant Q right away and answer it. **The questions are more or less in the same order as the paragraphs like 60-70% of the time.** I would also quickly review the other questions I have not answered yet so that I could keep the key words fresh in my mind and pick them up fast from the passages. Using this method -which at the beginning might seem chaotic- improved my practice scores.
Also in the real DAT the passages were much shorter -12,11 and 10 paragraphs though the last one had long paragraphs. for the first time in my life I had some time to spare at the end of RC!

Ok there goes my contribution to the pre-dental society. I wish you all great luck and success!

Ps. if you got questions feel free to ask :)

Are these sources sufficient for Bio considering I have been out of school for a few years and I'm only relying on DAT materials?

Kaplan course, Feralis/Cliffs, Qvault tables, Chad's, Destroyer, Bootcamp tests

I studied Kaplan's Blue Book and AP Biology and didn't use anything else except for my fresh physiology knowledge from school. I'd say if you master the books really well you'll get an easy 20-21 no problem. There were questions in the test that were not covered anywhere in the books and I had absolutely no idea about. The embryology section was harsh! and there were two questions I answered based on what I remembered from Physio. Other than that they are very good starting points. If you end up having more time after mastering those you could look into other resources -and depending on what mark you wanna get in bio

I studied Kaplan's Blue Book and AP Biology and didn't use anything else except for my fresh physiology knowledge from school. I'd say if you master the books really well you'll get an easy 20-21 no problem. There were questions in the test that were not covered anywhere in the books and I had absolutely no idea about. The embryology section was harsh! and there were two questions I answered based on what I remembered from Physio. Other than that they are very good starting points. If you end up having more time after mastering those you could look into other resources -and depending on what mark you wanna get in bio
I am not going in with any prior knowledge from school though since I have taken time off from school. What do you recommend? And what were the random questions you thought were harsh?

Hey everyone,

I haven't taken half of my bio courses and I have to self study half of the material. Does anyone know of a few links that might help for "Reproduction" chapter? I have some problem understating this.

Im also very stressed because I don't really what should I do for my bio section since its my biggest weakness. I started with MCAT Prinston review biology (400 pages, well detailed ) , now I'm reading through AP and will start the destroyer from tmrw.
I also already covered the math destroyer and DAT destroyer once (except for bio) and I know I have to go over that book at least 3 times. I haven't practiced the reading yet and Ive done 4-5 tests from CDP and BC for PAT.
How can I make the best out of this last month? please help me out (30 more days) :bang::bang::bang::bang: