"Credit Hours" on AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ok so I first went to a small private school that used a system of "1" credit per class, and you took 4 classes per semester. Thus, the typical person graduated with "32 credits" (35 if you're an engineer). But I transferred to another school that uses a normal 3/4 credit scale for most classes (so that the average student is taking 15-18 credits a semester), and each class transferred as 4 credits, since that's basically the equivalent of what they were at my first school (everyone was taking the equivalent of 16 credits a semester).

So on my official transcripts from that first school, it lists it as "1 hour", but it was actually a "4 credit" course, they're just weird the way they list things. I assume I should still list it as 4 on AMCAS?

Members don't see this ad.

Also, how would you classify something like Sports Psychology or "Ethics in Sport"? Both are offered through the Kinesiology department, but would they go under "health sciences" or "behavioral sciences" for the first one and "philosophy" for the second?

rogerwilco said:
Ok so I first went to a small private school that used a system of "1" credit per class, and you took 4 classes per semester. Thus, the typical person graduated with "32 credits" (35 if you're an engineer). But I transferred to another school that uses a normal 3/4 credit scale for most classes (so that the average student is taking 15-18 credits a semester), and each class transferred as 4 credits, since that's basically the equivalent of what they were at my first school (everyone was taking the equivalent of 16 credits a semester).

So on my official transcripts from that first school, it lists it as "1 hour", but it was actually a "4 credit" course, they're just weird the way they list things. I assume I should still list it as 4 on AMCAS?

If your official transcripts lists the courses as 1 hour, that's what you should put on your application. Do it exactly as it appears on your transcript. AMCAS will do the necessary conversions for you. My first college was on the "unit" system where every class was 1 unit (but each was worth 4 semester hours). I listed them as "1" on AMACS and they counted them as 4 semester hours each. I hope that makes sense.

Punkn said:
If your official transcripts lists the courses as 1 hour, that's what you should put on your application. Do it exactly as it appears on your transcript. AMCAS will do the necessary conversions for you. My first college was on the "unit" system where every class was 1 unit (but each was worth 4 semester hours). I listed them as "1" on AMACS and they counted them as 4 semester hours each. I hope that makes sense.

It does, thank you very much.