Credit hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boomshakalaka1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering say if I have taken 3 credit hours of orgo chem in first year, but I did poorly. But then I graduated and I am finishing up some pre-req courses but at another school now since I graduated from the previous one. If I choose to do 6 semester credit hours at this new school which is also a first year orgo chem course, would be credit hours for orgo chem be 9 credit hours or would it still be 6 because my previous 3 credit hours would be ignored.

Members don't see this ad.

In terms of AADSAS nothing is overwritten, even a retake of the exact same course. It will all count under your BCP/sGPA, all 9 credits of it. So it will benefit or harm your GPA depending on how you did in each course.

Where you might run into a problem is with a school determining what meets their pre-reqs. They could easily say that 3 credit course means nothing (it sounds like a intro course rather than part of an organic chemistry sequence, as typically orgo is 4-5 credits for each part), especially if it didn't include a lab, which is also typically required for the organic chemistry pre-req.

yea, but because I'm Canadian, my orgo chem is 4 credit hours but I have to put 3 credit hours because of the adea system, since I have no proof that my courses do have a lab component. But I heard that schools know of this (Canadian friendly ones) and adjust accordingly.

yea, but because I'm Canadian, my orgo chem is 4 credit hours but I have to put 3 credit hours because of the adea system, since I have no proof that my courses do have a lab component. But I heard that schools know of this (Canadian friendly ones) and adjust accordingly.

That's interesting. I suppose you will be fine then. :)