Creighton and SLU students--questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HC05nmd

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I am currently trying to decide between Creighton and SLU. If there are any students from those schools who would be willing to answer some of my questions, could you please PM me? Or you can post some general comments here and those would be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I'd be glad to answer any questions I can about Creighton. In terms of general info, I think the one aspect that sets Creighton apart is the atmosphere. The grading system is Honors/Pass/Fail and we are graded objectively, not relative to each other or on a curve (passing is passing, regardless of what the average score is).

I think that not having to worry about competing with classmates allows Creighton students the peace of mind and freedom to explore other interests and be actively involved in non-academic pursuits. For example, intramurals are huge... and most people are involved. 100% of Creighton students are involved in some sort of service-oriented volunteer activity (yes, 100%... and this is not required, it's just the way it's been at Creighton for the last several years). I think most people would agree that the prevailing attitude is one that is supportive and helpful; you feel that both students and faculty genuinely want to see you succeed. Having completed years 1 and 2, I think that Creighton makes the process as good as it really can be. Medical school is simply hard sometimes and it's going to suck on occasion. But I've never felt like I was the brunt of a sadistic curriculum built to make my life hard.

Creighton's curriculum is systems based... as is, I think, SLU's. I don't really know what else to say about that. Like most schools, we have some really great lecturers and some that you could easily live without. I think Creighton does a good job preparing us for boards, as much as any school can (it's really your responsibility after a certain point). But I can say that as I study for Step 1, most of what I read in the review books feels like review; so it seems that most of the important board-relevant topics were covered sufficiently. I will say that all of our exams (except practicals) are taken in the computer lab using a test delivery system that is very similar to that used for Step 1. Granted, by the time you use Qbank and whatever other online question source, you'll be very familiar with online test-taking. But still, I think it helps as far as being comfortable with that modality to know that I've taken pretty much all of my exams on a computer for the last two years; Step 1 shouldn't be too new in that regard.

Anyway, back to studying for boards. lol If you have any other questions please feel free to PM me. I can't speak for SLU, but I think Creighton is a good school and I don't have any regrets at this point about choosing it.

HC05nmd said:
Hi. I am currently trying to decide between Creighton and SLU. If there are any students from those schools who would be willing to answer some of my questions, could you please PM me? Or you can post some general comments here and those would be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks!
Take a stroll down Grand Ave. in STL after about 9PM. When I was interviewing at Wash U. a few months ago, I stumbled upon SLU after a couple wrong turns and felt that it was not in a very friendly part of town.

That should help you decide.

:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I did my undergraduate at Creighton. Creighton is not in the nicest part of town either. That is just part of the Jesuit mission. Most Jesuit schools are located in what most would consider "not the nicest part of town." Still, most of them are great schools and I never once did not feel safe at Creighton.

Thanks for the comments. I feel like any university in a big city is going to have some safety/crime concerns, because that is the nature of big cities. This is hard because neither one felt like "the one" for me. The biggest difference is first year curriculum, and I don't think one is necessarily better than the other for me. And the grading system--is "honors/near honors/p/f" too stressful?? And the cost of living in Omaha is probably cheaper. So I am stuck with only a few more days to decide (SLU has not sent me a fin aid package yet, so I don't really want to pick one over the other without seeing it first either.) and I have no idea what to do. Are there any other glaring differences between the schools? Perhaps if someone could comment about the student/faculty relationships--are they helpful and supportive? Also, does SLU have a system for notetaking, or taping lectures?

or should i just go eenie meenie minie moe? i don't know how else to decide.

thanks.

HC05nmd said:
Thanks for the comments. I feel like any university in a big city is going to have some safety/crime concerns, because that is the nature of big cities. This is hard because neither one felt like "the one" for me. The biggest difference is first year curriculum, and I don't think one is necessarily better than the other for me. And the grading system--is "honors/near honors/p/f" too stressful?? And the cost of living in Omaha is probably cheaper. So I am stuck with only a few more days to decide (SLU has not sent me a fin aid package yet, so I don't really want to pick one over the other without seeing it first either.) and I have no idea what to do. Are there any other glaring differences between the schools? Perhaps if someone could comment about the student/faculty relationships--are they helpful and supportive? Also, does SLU have a system for notetaking, or taping lectures?

or should i just go eenie meenie minie moe? i don't know how else to decide.

thanks.

I was also accepted to Creighton for the class of 2010! I must say that my interview weekend in Omaha was the best in comparision to my other interviews. I think that the students/faculty are all down to earth and very friendly my host for the weekend and I clicked instantly and I think if I had decided to go there, I am going to NJ, I would have been very happy. I have spoken to the dean a few times and he always calls me back immediately and spends a lot of his time in open sessions with the students. I also like that students participate in the interview/admissions process which really makes them take an active role in the school. Plus if you are into volunteer opportunities especially abroad, I went to Africa on a medical mission and it was amazing, Creighton has a wealth of opportunities. Damn all this talking is making me second guess my decision! Hit me up if you have anymore questions.

HC05nmd said:
Also, does SLU have a system for notetaking, or taping lectures?

thanks.

NO notetaking services!!! that's what I'm MOST bummed about!