Creighton - where to live in Omaha...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docuw

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for anybody that is familiar with the Omaha area to offer suggestions for places to live. Looking for 2BR HOUSE for me and my fiance. A house is a must... I am done with apartments - noisy neighbors drive me nuts
smile.gif

Any suggestions anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

It's been a while since I've been back to O-town, but I can give you a couple suggestions. Don't live w/in 3 or 4 miles of Creighton, it is not the best neighborhood at all. Try the nearby suburbs (Millard, Papillion), although their prices might have gone up way too much. The best thing to do is not to live in the same neighborhood as Creighton, though.

Eric

I grew up around Omaha, did my undergrad in Omaha, and I am going back (after 9? years) to go to UNMC in July. I still have "people" there that I can ask about neighborhoods and how they've changed. My parents still live there too. But really, (did you say you were going to buy or rent--I already forgot), if you're going to buy, let's find you a real estate agent!
smile.gif

So, how far/long are you willing to commute? Omaha is bigger than most folks think. We even get rush hour backups
smile.gif

--kris

Members don't see this ad :)
10 min commute would be good, and will be RENTING!

Thanks for any advice...
smile.gif

While I was in Omaha, I noticed that there was a great difference in neighborhoods very close to each other. We stayed in the Ronald McDonald House near the UNMC hospital. The neighborhood away from the hospital was very nice, as were all the people we met. The neighborhood toward the hospital was quite seedy (our car got broken into while at the hospital).

All in all I loved Omaha, and hopefully will be able to get into UNMC and go back. Omaha is indeed a very large, spread out city. I think that's part of its appeal.

When you go to Omaha, get two things:

1. A zoo pass.

2. A Husker Sweatshirt.

Henry Doorly Zoo is arguably the best in the nation and the home to many childhood memories of mine and if you live in Omaha you need to practice the official religion -- Football. Have a great day.

Eric

As a die hard, born and bread, purple and gold bleeding, University of Washington Huskies fan, I would rather die a painful and agonizing death than show even one ounce of respect for the Nebraska Corn Huskers (although there would be a negligle amount of difference between the two pains).

I have to agree about the zoo. I went there in December with all the outdoor exhibits closed, and it was still awesome.

The indoor jungle was the greatest.

Funny story about the zoo there real quick. On Jeopardy, the Monday after I got back from Omaha, they had a category on "Zoos." One of them was the zoo in Omaha, and they asked something like "IT has the largest indoor rainforest of any zoo," or something like that. I was so PROUD that I knew the answer.
smile.gif

10 minutes around Creighton. That?s tough since I don?t know that area very well, but it?s true that the area right there and around St. Joe?s isn?t the greatest.

Here?s the layout of Omaha: growth and expansion are westward. All the rich kids come from West O. The midtown area, that once-upon-a-time was the rich west area, is now around 40th to 60th streets. Lots of converted houses here and rentals. There?s a decent area called Dundee in there, right around and just north of Dodge. You might look at renting there. North(east) Omaha is without a doubt the place to stay away from. Unfortunately, it carries with it gangs and the usual economic hardships. The ?Downtown? is the east part of O around Dodge, and several blocks south. Since Creighton is essentially located at 24th and Cuming, it?s pretty close to the downtown area.

I think part of the reason that Dundee midtown area stays on the stable side is because of the location of UNMC and University of Nebraska-Omaha. As usual, the housing areas immediately surrounding UNO and areas just north are fairly nice. However, your 10 minutes might be up by 60th and Dodge. It really depends on the time of day you?re traveling.

A friend tells me there?s a series of town homes that are literally a 5 minute walk from Creighton, but we don?t know much about the neighborhood. He doesn?t think it?s so terrible. There are a number of houses for rent around Mutual of Omaha, which I think is around 30th st. & Dodge. He also thinks the areas around Turner Blvd and Farnam St should be okay. I think here he?s referring to stuff closer to 50th street, maybe even 60th. I?m just sorry I can?t give you better information

Omaha.com is the link for Omaha?s main newspaper, so you might get a feel for listings there. The chamber of commerce will send you some info too. I hope you?re able to make a good househunting trip out that way. And don?t forget about mapquest.com

Omaha has a pretty nice grid to navigate. For the most part, numbered streets run north-south. Named streets run east-west. Dodge street is the main drag, and everything is north or south of it. So if you see 166 N. 53rd St, you?re looking at something that is 1 block north of Dodge on 53rd. 1678 S. 53rd St is 16 blocks south of Dodge on 53rd St. Make sense?
On the other hand, if something is at 9029 Dodge St., then it?s pretty much at 90th and Dodge. 6745 Cuming is at 67th and Cuming. Very simple, eh? 4th street is super far east, by the river, and 144th is where the rich kids live out west.

I wish I could help more, but I always lived and played at 42nd streets (UNMC) and higher (60th) UNO. Maybe someone from Creighton will be kind enough to respond. I haven?t really noticed any posters from either med school on this site.

Good luck, and if you have any other questions at all, I MIGHT be able to answer them. I?ll certainly try.

Kris
Oh yeah, the zoo is great, and I think they still hold the college world series in Omaha. When I was there, they blocked it from local channels, but I hear that's typical for sporting events.

Kris -

Thank you so much. That is some "most excellent" (in the words of Bill and Ted) info and advice. That will truly help me out when I am looking at the maps and planning on where to look for houses!!!