Criminal charges. How will this affect me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have criminal charges against me. No felonies. All misdemeanors.
I have an obstruction of justice charge and a drunk in public from my 21st birthday when some friends and I were leaving a bar. (I argued with the police which gave me an obstruction.)

I also have a second obstruction charge and a discharging of a firearm within town limits. I was target shooting with a shotgun and did not know it was un-lawful to shoot within my town.

However, since I was found guilty of these I cannot get them expunged in the state of Virginia.

I also have a few speeding tickets.

Basically, how much is this going to affect my application process? My father is a dental school alumni from NYU.

It will not and should not prevent you from getting accepted into a program, however you will have to disclose this information on AADSAS application. Some schools also require a background check, but not all. I would be honest, and hopefully they will not hold it against you if you express you have changed your ways.

Speeding tickets and traffic violations do not matter. If that were the case, many of us would be screwed. And the fact that your dad is an alumni will not really change anything.

The best way to avoid such things is to not break the law. In most states, public drunkenness is a crime - as well as shooting a firearm outside in a town/city. Go to a shooting range....

I have criminal charges against me. No felonies. All misdemeanors.
I have an obstruction of justice charge and a drunk in public from my 21st birthday when some friends and I were leaving a bar. (I argued with the police which gave me an obstruction.)

I also have a second obstruction charge and a discharging of a firearm within town limits. I was target shooting with a shotgun and did not know it was un-lawful to shoot within my town.

However, since I was found guilty of these I cannot get them expunged in the state of Virginia.

I also have a few speeding tickets.

Basically, how much is this going to affect my application process? My father is a dental school alumni from NYU.

Fighting with cops, guns and speeding tickets
Dude..I hope we become classmates !!
hahahaha

Members don't see this ad :)
take it as a compliment

I think he is saying that you sound like a guy with a knack for adventure and excitement, a fun person to hang out with.

Step #1: If you have not already, speak with an attorney. It sounds like you already have, but I would speak with one to see how you can word these things on your application. Attorneys have a good way of rewording things to make them sound not as bad. IE: Murder = crime of passion
Step #2: Having a judge as a family friend comes in real handy in these situations, if this is not an option, I would call the DA, make an appointment with a judge, and speak with them about what you are trying to do.

Questions: How old are you now? Was this last year, or five years ago. Can you some how show that you have "changed your ways" Grades, community service, leadership?

Thoughts: I know they are misdemeanors, but right off the bat a gun charge of ANY kind (you have to admit) looks really bad. There may also may be some licensure issues here, which your attorney could give you the scoop on.
-C

What about DUI?

It will not and should not prevent you from getting accepted into a program, however you will have to disclose this information on AADSAS application. Some schools also require a background check, but not all. I would be honest, and hopefully they will not hold it against you if you express you have changed your ways.

Speeding tickets and traffic violations do not matter. If that were the case, many of us would be screwed. And the fact that your dad is an alumni will not really change anything.

The best way to avoid such things is to not break the law. In most states, public drunkenness is a crime - as well as shooting a firearm outside in a town/city. Go to a shooting range....

You won't have to disclose any of this on your AADSAS app because they are all misdemeanors. AADSAS only asks about felonies.

That said, a number of schools do ask about it in secondaries.

SuperC asked some good questions though. How long ago is a key point...

But all in all, it won't be the end all to your application.

You won't have to disclose any of this on your AADSAS app because they are all misdemeanors. AADSAS only asks about felonies.

That said, a number of schools do ask about it in secondaries.

SuperC asked some good questions though. How long ago is a key point...

But all in all, it won't be the end all to your application.

The more honest you are with them the better. Taking the AADSAS question this literally may get you in trouble further down if you disclose infractions that you did not mention in the AADSAS application.

The more honest you are with them the better. Taking the AADSAS question this literally may get you in trouble further down if you disclose infractions that you did not mention in the AADSAS application.