Criminal Psychology degree?

Started by Hawkins08
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Hawkins08

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am very interested in criminal psychology and criminal behavior so naturally I would very much enjoy to obtain a degree in criminal psych.
First of all, I would like to state that I have a GED due to living issues during high school, so I plan on starting off at my local technical school under their A.A transfer program to my state college, NC State.
During my two years in technical school I will be taking classes such as intro to psych and abnormal psychology, but I'm having issues with what classes I should take during my undergrad degree at NC State.
I have not seen any classes regarding criminal psychology or criminal behavior, why is that?
Also, what should I start doing NOW to help my chances to get into a good grad school. How could I go about volunteering, shadowing, or becoming an intern without at least an associates degree?

Finally, I am having an issue determining the difference between criminal psychology, anthropology criminology, and forensic psychology.

Thank you for as much information as possible!
I am very serious to show that I can make it for grad school, especially since I have a GED. I hope to get a internship with the FBI during my junior or senior year of undergrad.
 
I am very interested in criminal psychology and criminal behavior so naturally I would very much enjoy to obtain a degree in criminal psych.
First of all, I would like to state that I have a GED due to living issues during high school, so I plan on starting off at my local technical school under their A.A transfer program to my state college, NC State.
During my two years in technical school I will be taking classes such as intro to psych and abnormal psychology, but I'm having issues with what classes I should take during my undergrad degree at NC State.
I have not seen any classes regarding criminal psychology or criminal behavior, why is that?
Also, what should I start doing NOW to help my chances to get into a good grad school. How could I go about volunteering, shadowing, or becoming an intern without at least an associates degree?

Finally, I am having an issue determining the difference between criminal psychology, anthropology criminology, and forensic psychology.

Thank you for as much information as possible!
I am very serious to show that I can make it for grad school, especially since I have a GED. I hope to get a internship with the FBI during my junior or senior year of undergrad.

You have some very specific questions, and I'm not sure that many folks have the answers. As for the GED, I don't think that will hurt your long-term prospects. Just do well at the community college/technical school, and work from there.

As for undergrad classes at State, I think it'd be best to ask them. Criminal psychology is a pretty specific major, so they may not have many classes in it which is why you're not finding them. Perhaps check UNC as well as you may be able to find some there. In either case, calling the school would be the best bet.

As for what to do now, I'm honestly not sure. I don't know how one volunteers in some capacity for criminal psychology. I would think you'd have some sort of internship as a part of undergrad, but before that I don't know where you could go to volunteer. Sorry!
 
I am very interested in criminal psychology and criminal behavior so naturally I would very much enjoy to obtain a degree in criminal psych.

First of all, I would like to state that I have a GED due to living issues during high school, so I plan on starting off at my local technical school under their A.A transfer program to my state college, NC State. During my two years in technical school I will be taking classes such as intro to psych and abnormal psychology, but I'm having issues with what classes I should take during my undergrad degree at NC State. I have not seen any classes regarding criminal psychology or criminal behavior, why is that?

Also, what should I start doing NOW to help my chances to get into a good grad school. How could I go about volunteering, shadowing, or becoming an intern without at least an associates degree?

Some people take a more interesting paths into higher-education than others. I have physician friends who were former artists, musicians, etc. I was in upper-level management at a DotCom company before going back to school. A friend of mine was a chef before going back for her BS/MS/Ph.D. in psychology. Everyone will have to complete the same requirements to be eligible to apply (certain courses, GRE, etc), though applicants backgrounds are often quite different.

The most important thing for you to do is getting into a 4 year college (NC State meets that requirement), do well in your classes, and gain research experience. You may be able to find volunteer prior to starting a BA or BS program, though you'll probably find more opportunities through the psychology department at whatever university you end up attending for your BA or BS. Focus on gaining research experience at that time.

As for a lack of classes in criminal psychology or criminal behavior....you will most likely not find those types of classes at the Bachelors level. Even at the Masters or Doctoral level you may or may not see them, at least in the way you are expecting.

Finally, I am having an issue determining the difference between criminal psychology, anthropology criminology, and forensic psychology.

Forensic Psychology is generally the term people use when they want to study people who commit crimes, the criminal justice system, etc. There are two main types of Forensic Psychology programs at the doctoral level.

The first type involves programs that are research only, meaning they don't require any clinical training in addition to your classwork and research requirements. There is also no licensure after your degree. The purpose of this degree is to teach, research, and/or consult in your area of expertise.

The second type of program requires clinical training, and typically you are eligible to be licensed as a psychologist after you complete all of your requirements. These programs are most likely under the umbrella of a clinical or counseling doctoral program. The clinical or counseling doctoral program is typically meant to produce psychologists. These psychologists can then study/research in a particular area, one of which is in forensic psychology. There are a few programs that are geared towards forensic psychology, but the students are still required to meet all of the requirements of a generalist (a psychologist that doesn't have a specialty area of training).

From the sound of your post, it sounds like you may be interested in some sort of interaction with a specific population, which most likely would require licensure. Non-licensed forensic psychologists (without clinical training) can still interact with subjects, but there are limitations on the type of work they can do.

I would focus on completing your A.A. and then getting into a 4 year college. Once you begin your BA or BS, then you can start to explore more about the field of forensic psychology, as it is quite broad.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Some people take a more interesting paths into higher-education than others. I have physician friends who were former artists, musicians, etc. I was in upper-level management at a DotCom company before going back to school. A friend of mine was a chef before going back for her BS/MS/Ph.D. in psychology. Everyone will have to complete the same requirements to be eligible to apply (certain courses, GRE, etc), though applicants backgrounds are often quite different.

The most important thing for you to do is getting into a 4 year college (NC State meets that requirement), do well in your classes, and gain research experience. You may be able to find volunteer prior to starting a BA or BS program, though you'll probably find more opportunities through the psychology department at whatever university you end up attending for your BA or BS. Focus on gaining research experience at that time.

As for a lack of classes in criminal psychology or criminal behavior....you will most likely not find those types of classes at the Bachelors level. Even at the Masters or Doctoral level you may or may not see them, at least in the way you are expecting.



Forensic Psychology is generally the term people use when they want to study people who commit crimes, the criminal justice system, etc. There are two main types of Forensic Psychology programs at the doctoral level.

The first type involves programs that are research only, meaning they don't require any clinical training in addition to your classwork and research requirements. There is also no licensure after your degree. The purpose of this degree is to teach, research, and/or consult in your area of expertise.

The second type of program requires clinical training, and typically you are eligible to be licensed as a psychologist after you complete all of your requirements. These programs are most likely under the umbrella of a clinical or counseling doctoral program. The clinical or counseling doctoral program is typically meant to produce psychologists. These psychologists can then study/research in a particular area, one of which is in forensic psychology. There are a few programs that are geared towards forensic psychology, but the students are still required to meet all of the requirements of a generalist (a psychologist that doesn't have a specialty area of training).

From the sound of your post, it sounds like you may be interested in some sort of interaction with a specific population, which most likely would require licensure. Non-licensed forensic psychologists (without clinical training) can still interact with subjects, but there are limitations on the type of work they can do.

I would focus on completing your A.A. and then getting into a 4 year college. Once you begin your BA or BS, then you can start to explore more about the field of forensic psychology, as it is quite broad.


Thanks for such a detailed response!
So basically I should currently worry more about getting into the psychology department in a 4 year university and go from there.
Any specific classes you would recommend so I can be on a correct pathway.
Registration for classes always makes me nervous, not knowing if I pick a wrong class then it wouldn't transfer to a class I need for a major.
I guess I'll learn as time goes by.

Thank you!
-Tyler