Criteria for RadOnc for IMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thaitanium

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi-

I am an IMG and am wondering what scores I need to attain on the Steps in order to be competitive. I have a Bachelors/Master's degree from a US institution and have published one first author paper on NF1.

In addition, how much weight is placed on grades from offshore medical schools?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Thaitanium said:
Hi-

I am an IMG and am wondering what scores I need to attain on the Steps in order to be competitive. I have a Bachelors/Master's degree from a US institution and have published one first author paper on NF1.

In addition, how much weight is placed on grades from offshore medical schools?

Thanks in advance.
its always the wrong question to say "what score do I need". It doesnt work that way. Basically you must do all of the things a US grad does and then some. Rotations at hospitals where you can make a good impression are important (if they dont hamper you in terms of licensing issues- some states wont accpt IMGs for licenses if they do away rotations). Just check out the threads like the FAQ and the profiles of people who matched this year. Then get to know people and do your best. Its very hard now unfortunately.

Not a Rad Onc myself, but I think it's fair to say that it's currently the hardest residency to get:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=187559

So I would venture that you would need:
A. Significant research experience, including publications.
B. Very strong US Letters of Recommendation.
C. Highly competitive USMLE scores.

to even be considered.
I think Stephew phased it exellently: "Basically you must do all of the things a US grad does and then some".

Members don't see this ad :)
i hate the actually "who's the toughest to get into!" thingy that matters to some folks. Suffice to say its difficult enough these days.

IMG probably there is nothing you can do.

(not USAF MD'05)

USAF MD '05 said:
IMG probably there is nothing you can do.

(not USAF MD'05)
yeah well im glad you didnt tell me that or the other 4 from my med school in radonc residency currently; or IMGs who filled spots this year.
(see match stats: 85.2% filled by US seniors- note some may be non-IMGs but other than US Seniors.)

Some program directors can be interested in an IMG applicant that has significant previous experience in the field (or in research). I know this applies to Derm, PRS and Radiology, and would certainly assume it would also apply to Rad Onc. Again, main key is probably that an IMG brings something extra and unique to the table, to overcome the inherent uncertainty there is in taking somebody with an unknown or less known medical background.

this is a very good point pathone makes. Often FMGs (as opposed to imgs who are us students trained abroad) are quite attractive for the above reasons and may have to do a fellowship for a year, but often get attractive spots.

The IMG vs FMG arguement is horrible. Unless I am deeply mistaken, most people would prefer to go to an Allopathic medical school in the US over an Interational Medical school. Based on this assumption, IMGer's have already, at the level of medical school, not "made the cut."

Enter the FMGer, who is an excellent candidate, whom through the alignment of the moon and the stars was born in a foreign country. Did he/she not make the cut? Well we might never know - but at least that isn't immediately confirmed.

In either case, the questions is how much are programs willing to cut slack for a "late bloomer" or those with blossoms other than what we are used to seeing. In radiation oncology these days, unfortanately there is little slack.

I know of one outstanding individual who matched as a DO. I for one am happy to have matched coming from a relatively low ranked, if not completely mockable, school. I think if the trend continues, biases as they are, people like myself may even fall off the radar screen.

At any rate, I fully disagree with the stratifying of IMG's over FMG's and might even be tempted to reverse your rankings.

I think you misunderstood. There was no stratifying of IMG above or below FMG. the reality, and im speaking as an IMG, is that any competitive field will be difficult for IMGs, DOs or FMGs. It depends a lot upon the context. What I was saying that FMGs who've completed training are often attractive as fellows and this is a leg into the US system but its above the residency level; they can also try to repeat a residency but this isnt' very easy to do. I know folks right now in this situation. Finally, there are always exceptions to rules, but their just that.

stephew said:
I think you misunderstood. There was no stratifying of IMG above or below FMG. the reality, and im speaking as an IMG, is that any competitive field will be difficult for IMGs, DOs or FMGs. It depends a lot upon the context. What I was saying that FMGs who've completed training are often attractive as fellows and this is a leg into the US system but its above the residency level; they can also try to repeat a residency but this isnt' very easy to do. I know folks right now in this situation. Finally, there are always exceptions to rules, but their just that.
As long as we are on the topic, do you guys know of programs that are not DO friendly and those that may be? As an unmatched 4th year, I need to know where not to waste my time, which happened to one of my classmates.

CCOM tentative 05'

you know i couldnt say; you can find where DOs are currently accepted (a recent thread on this exists) however my best advice to you is to not limit yourself to "known" DO takers. Its hard enough for anyone right now. It costs more to apply but give yourself every opportunity unless a chairman tells you point blank to save your money.

true true... thanks steph

stephew said:
you know i couldnt say; you can find where DOs are currently accepted (a recent thread on this exists) however my best advice to you is to not limit yourself to "known" DO takers. QUOTE]

Where is this thread, I can't find it and I'd like to take a look at it.

Thanks. :D

Kannen1979 said:
stephew said:
you know i couldnt say; you can find where DOs are currently accepted (a recent thread on this exists) however my best advice to you is to not limit yourself to "known" DO takers. QUOTE]

Where is this thread, I can't find it and I'd like to take a look at it.

Thanks. :D

It's not a complete list, but you'll find a few here.