Critical Care PGY2 programs--thoughts & recommendations?

Started by jmcmans1
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jmcmans1

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a PGY1 starting to look at critical care programs and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on any of them? I'm not geographically limited and I'd prefer programs at level 1 trauma centers, but isn't a must--so I'm currently trying to sort through all the programs.
 
is there a particular area of ICU you are interested in?
are you interested in trauma/surgery? or neuro? or medical ICU?

considering how sacred ICU jobs are these days, i would go for big name programs...
 
is there a particular area of ICU you are interested in?
are you interested in trauma/surgery? or neuro? or medical ICU?

considering how sacred ICU jobs are these days, i would go for big name programs...

That's definitely what I'd like to do, but am hesitant since I'm not sure how competitive the critical PGY2 match process is (more competitive than pgy1 vs less?)? I'll probably apply to a nice spectrum of big names and also lesser known level 1 trauma centers.

I'm looking at places with burn and trauma/surgery, but am also interested in neuro. I've gone through the lists of burn centers and level 1 trauma centers, now I'm going through and looking at each residency program to start narrowing things down. Feels a bit tedious, but it worked for my pgy1?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That's definitely what I'd like to do, but am hesitant since I'm not sure how competitive the critical PGY2 match process is (more competitive than pgy1 vs less?)? I'll probably apply to a nice spectrum of big names and also lesser known level 1 trauma centers.

I'm looking at places with burn and trauma/surgery, but am also interested in neuro. I've gone through the lists of burn centers and level 1 trauma centers, now I'm going through and looking at each residency program to start narrowing things down. Feels a bit tedious, but it worked for my pgy1?
not every big place is necessarily a burn center, but programs may allow you to do a burn ICU rotation offsite, something to consider
you may miss some great programs out there if you only choose burn centers, something you can ask during PPS
good luck