Critique my plan to successfully match into a competitive specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
my point was that AOA is not the end all-be all of matching. The fact that derm (arguably one of the most competitive specialties) is only taking 50%, oh wait.... 51% AOA says that this will not make or break you. For every person with AOA matching, there is a slightly shorter person without it also matching. But sure... if the precise numbers had been important to the point then I suppose, thanks :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I don't understand . . . do you have some kind of personal vendetta or something? I simply posted stats to correct the assertion you had made. Your use of the overused "badass" meme is puzzling and non sequitur (not to mention obnoxious).

You're right; he should change the meme to "tightass."

Members don't see this ad :)
my point was that AOA is not the end all-be all of matching. The fact that derm (arguably one of the most competitive specialties) is only taking 50%, oh wait.... 51% AOA says that this will not make or break you. For every person with AOA matching, there is a slightly shorter person without it also matching. But sure... if the precise numbers had been important to the point then I suppose, thanks :thumbup:

Keep in mind that's all programs. Even in rads with ~25% AOA, at the top programs essentially everyone has AOA. You will probably be competitive w/o it for community programs but at academic places most people will have it.

Keep in mind that's all programs. Even in rads with ~25% AOA, at the top programs essentially everyone has AOA. You will probably be competitive w/o it for community programs but at academic places most people will have it.

Nonsense.

Most people will have tons of honors, but the AOA distinction itself doesn't matter much.

Even at UCSF there will be at least a couple non-AOA people.

yes, obviously this is skewed towards sought after programs.

Nonsense.

Most people will have tons of honors, but the AOA distinction itself doesn't matter much.

Even at UCSF there will be at least a couple non-AOA people.

AOA and AOA-equivalent; w/e, most people are in the top 15% of their class either way.

It is not ok to lump AOA and "AOA equivalent " together when the question is "do I need AOA?". :eyebrow:

AOA equivalent refers to people in the top 15% of schools who don't participate in AOA.

AOA equivalent refers to people in the top 15% of schools who don't participate in AOA.

that is fine. But the original topic (at least for this tangent) was whether or not AOA is necessary for competitive matching. Turns out no. you should just be "AOA equivalent" ;):prof:

I hate to bring this thread back on topic but any other thoughts/advice/critiques on the original plan? Especially when to incorporate GT, BRS, and the Qbanks and if just doing research in the summer after M1 is enough?

I hate to bring this thread back on topic but any other thoughts/advice/critiques on the original plan? Especially when to incorporate GT, BRS, and the Qbanks and if just doing research in the summer after M1 is enough?

I think planning for you at this stage is already a step in the wrong direction.... relax. Enjoy your summer. Enjoy next summer. Start qbank stuff at about the time that prep groups start forming up. Hopefully your school facilitates small group study... I think starting in mid 3rd semester or early 4th. somewhere in that range. Do not touch board prep before your first day of 2nd year unless it is relevant to the approaching test 1st year ;)

Yes, I have to say, from reading your comments over the past year, I am not surprised you would be interested in Urology.

Having said that, why just stop at the "prestigious" specialties, go all out and hit up the "prestigious" residencies for these "prestigious" specialties.

I must note though, unless you are attending a "prestigious" medical school with a "prestigious" home program, you will have an uphill battle. There are number of steps you could follow though:

1) Get a Step 1 score in the "prestigious" level. Remember, just like the MCAT, the Boards are BY FAR the most important things....like 75+% of your application.

2) Don't stop with doing research...heck don't stop at just getting first author publications. You need to get first author publications in the "prestigious" journal. Check out IF and sort out the "prestigious" journals, and shoot only for these journals.

3) ONLY rotate at "prestigious" programs. Again, the "prestige" is important here. You want letter from "prestigious" chairmen and surgeons.

Follow the "prestige" everywhere and anywhere you go, it is the key to life. "Prestigious" residency = "prestigious" job = "prestigious" babes (or dudes, don't know your sexual preferences?...actually the urology bit might lead your more to the latter the more I think of it...) :thumbup:

Yes, I have to say, from reading your comments over the past year, I am not surprised you would be interested in Urology.

Having said that, why just stop at the "prestigious" specialties, go all out and hit up the "prestigious" residencies for these "prestigious" specialties.

I must note though, unless you are attending a "prestigious" medical school with a "prestigious" home program, you will have an uphill battle. There are number of steps you could follow though:

1) Get a Step 1 score in the "prestigious" level. Remember, just like the MCAT, the Boards are BY FAR the most important things....like 75+% of your application.

2) Don't stop with doing research...heck don't stop at just getting first author publications. You need to get first author publications in the "prestigious" journal. Check out IF and sort out the "prestigious" journals, and shoot only for these journals.

3) ONLY rotate at "prestigious" programs. Again, the "prestige" is important here. You want letter from "prestigious" chairmen and surgeons.

Follow the "prestige" everywhere and anywhere you go, it is the key to life. "Prestigious" residency = "prestigious" job = "prestigious" babes (or dudes, don't know your sexual preferences?...actually the urology bit might lead your more to the latter the more I think of it...) :thumbup:

And this is the worst. Urology is a very interesting field and if this post is any kind of example of your level of maturity, good god.

rick-santorum-doing-weird-action.gif

+1